PDA

View Full Version : WIRRAWAY - too much time

newbe20
14th Aug 2004, 12:01
Attn all Ppruner's

Can somebody please find Wirraway a new hobby, because judging by his new posts, he has far too much time on his hands....

Capt. J
14th Aug 2004, 12:30
newbe20,

You really are a 'newbe'. I'm a new member but have been reading PPRuNe for quite a while dating back to the beginning of the year and Wirraway has been posting aviation news since very early before I started reading. LOTS of aviators on PPRuNe appreciate him for spending his time finding news and posting it for us so we don't have to scan around the internet looking for some.

He's doing such a great job, brings up more discussion in the forum. I'm 100% sure a lot of PPRuNers who have been here longer than me would know even more about this top bloke. Sure he posts a lot but his posts aren't stupid, they're news for the benefits of us. No money, just a volunteer job mate. We're lucky to have you Wirraway! Keep posting the news :ok: It's greatly appreciated. newbe20, learn what 'respect' is buddy. This isn't the end of this thread, I'm sure many others will reply and tell you how much they appreciate the job Wirraway is doing.

TurbineDreamer
14th Aug 2004, 13:02
I am guessing this is a bit of a wind up otherwise you are a complete FOOL newbe20.

Wirraway - KEEP GOING. I for one greatly appreciate your posts. I don't always get a chance to read the papers, and I would surely miss a lot of important and interesting aviation articles if it were not for you being so considerate to the rest of us ppruners with your time in posting the stories you do. I have been overseas on differnent occasions, and have always been kept up to date by you posting news stories.

All I can say newbe20 is that if you don't understand the great work wirraway does watch and learn, and learn some respect.

KEEP GOING Wirraway.

Keg
14th Aug 2004, 13:21
I don't know of any other forum where I can get a condensed version of the aviation 'news'. That Wirraway has been doing this for at least a couple of years is fantastic and I appreciate the efforts. Perhaps if you followed his lead newbe, you may have at least started a thread where the ensuing discussion would have been something other than pointing out to you your folly. Should change your handle to 'Dick Smith' as he tends to do the same thing. Start a thread and invite everyone to point out the bleeding obvious at how silly you were in the first instance! :E :p

Binoculars
14th Aug 2004, 14:56
err, .....and so say all of us. :rolleyes:

If you ever want to be taken seriously in these halls, newbe20, I suggest you change your nick and start again.

P.S. A quick search of the quality of your posts so far indicates you won't be sorely missed.

Nudlaug
14th Aug 2004, 15:00
Wirraway doesn't have to spend any time at all searching for aviation news. He is simply a Qantas employee who copies all the news from the Qantas Intranet from their AAP section.
No big deal, Qantas has done all the work for him already.

Still good on him, since the rest of the Pprune community can enjoy those news, thanks to him!

gaunty
14th Aug 2004, 15:23
newbe20

Caps off, stand to attention and listen to your elders.

Mr Wirraway is a highly respected and valued member of this community and will we hope continue to be so.

He has the sanction and gratitude of Big W to post whatever news he/she see fit to print and serves as a valuable source of news to those unfortunates amongst us who, due to the luxury of living in such exotic locations like "Rabbit Flat" do not have the "benefit" :rolleyes: of regular newspapers.

Caps on, about turn, quiiiiiick march, ef right, ef right........you 'orrible little person.........fades into distance:rolleyes::sad:

air-hag
14th Aug 2004, 20:21
wirraway loves to be in first with the big news. he sits by the PC with the feelers out and types away....

or else rushes home through peak-hour traffic with the tranny on listening to the latest and sweating on getting in first before some "upstart" posts the "big news"...

i say get out and take a look at the blue sky wirraway, the aviation world will turn without you.

planemad2
14th Aug 2004, 20:55
I understood, I believe it is true, that Wirraway is the ONLY person that is allowed to post news items. :confused:

rescue 1
14th Aug 2004, 21:55
Thanks to Wirraway and Windshear (OZ jobs Newbe20 in case you haven't read those) - both of their posts are always welcome!

Kaptin M
15th Aug 2004, 01:51
In fact you might be surprised how active Wirraway actually is, newbe, and be thankful that he VOLUNTARILY finds the time during his hectic daily schedule to donate some of his little free time to PPRuNe.

A check of the times at which he posts will give you some idea of when it is that he actually finds that time!

Thanks Wirra - looking forward to the next rendezvous and "debate"with you!!:ok:

Regards to you and your lady from me & mine.

Woomera
15th Aug 2004, 06:36
planemad2. Wirraway has been briefed and abides by the rules. He is the "annointed one" when it comes to media articles.

There are a number of issues to consider, including copyright, relativity etc etc. of which Wirraway is the full quid.

Newbe20 don't knock our Media Scribe!!! :*

Woomera

newbe20
15th Aug 2004, 08:15
well well well, have we all got tempers here or not. i can just see you blokes sitting at your computers thinking about this newbe20 bloke and really getting worked up.

i feel i must reply:

woomera - i am not knocking anybody, just looked at the page and saw about ten posts from the same person. pretty innocent i thought, to point out the fact the man makes alot of posts...

Kaptin M - i really dont care how active he is, and i in fact do appreciate his posts, and even yours sometimes.

rescue 1 - yes i am aware thanks mate

gaunty - i think your post really speaks for itself. all that caps off and elders crap. i know someone just like you, how boring!

binoculars - "A quick search of the quality of your posts so far indicates you won't be sorely missed". these halls i think probably wont miss me mate, but most of my posts have been related to gaining employment at qf and helping out others who are in the same boat, so whatever mate

Capt J. - congratulations on being the first of many replies. please dont call anyone buddy. its about as bad as me calling people mate.

so there you go, hope you can all feel better after a sook

cheers

whykillamoocow
15th Aug 2004, 08:36
Well done wirra for providing us with always interesting info your doing a top job.

As for capt J All I can say is that your hanging around like a bad smell and your posts are of little interest to most of us. Sure all of us ask questions and are thankful when we get a reply from someone that is experienced and and has some useful info to share but we get sick of your schoolboy opinions.

jangerlingjangerling
15th Aug 2004, 08:38
Wirraway keep up the good work, if it is you the chosen one by the woomera gods then so be it

Capt J you are indeed the scurge of this site. For someone whos aviation career has yet start, you speak with the wisdom of solomon. I see that you post rate has gone down from 12 a day to 9 a day. You are in highschool. Reporting points is for Regional and Airline pilots. So please feel free to read these posts and learn but please keep you missinformed comments to yourself.
Maybe one day you'll grow up, maybe one day. So champ let mummy strap on your pulls ups, wipe those tears be a big boy and resist hitting the "Submit Reply" button - Aviation in will be a better place

tobzalp
15th Aug 2004, 09:08
http://users.bigpond.net.au/plazbot/hahanet.jpg

PCFlyer
15th Aug 2004, 09:34
... "holy crap" :eek: is all i can say to the replies to a post that was surely made in jest

ffs lighten up :yuk:

Pinky the pilot
15th Aug 2004, 10:44
Wirraway; Na illigitimus non carborundum!!
And hope to meet you one day at a pprune bash!!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Wirraway
15th Aug 2004, 11:42
Nudlaug wrote:
Wirraway doesn't have to spend any time at all searching for aviation news. He is simply a Qantas employee who copies all the news from the Qantas Intranet from their AAP section.

Laugh my ass off, no Nudlaug, I am not a Qantas employee
and don't have access to the Qantas Intranet, (mind you I would
love to have access if you can arrange it ). :-)

newbe20, at 62 and retired I do have a life, as well as enjoying
exploring the internet, I am also into learning landscape photography, as well as having two grandkids down on the
Gold Coast, and keeping an eye on a small business in the
Philippines.

As far as the news postings go, usually less than 20min a day,
my computer is hooked into 'news alerts' which sends me an
email with the link to particular news story's involving- Qantas,
Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Air NZ, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific,
Australian Airlines, Jetstar Asia, Airasia, Tiger Air, Nok airlines,
Thai Airlines and Silkair.

Also as I am a night owl I go through the Fairfax and Murdoch
papers around 1:30-3:30am in the morning. In all I would post
less than 10% of the information I receive.

Hope this puts your minds at rest, I could not believe this thread
when I got back from the Gold Coast an hour ago.

Wirraway

newbe20
15th Aug 2004, 12:08
well mate, i really did think you were an idiot from the start. sorry but you are.

how can you possibly tell me about respect and all that crap you went on about, and then i have a sniff around after reading this thread and find out you are still in school. here i was thinking you were at least in ga and maybe thinking you were better than that and i found out your still popping pimples and trying to kiss girls, or boys who knows!!

now because i have a bit of time up the old sleeve i had a look back on your previous posts and well let me just bring out one of your quotes

"I'm a boy but I seriously don't like it when people say "Man-Made", why not say "HUMAN-made". Girls are just the same as us boys."
BWAHAHAHA

is this the line you intend to use when you win the miss australia pageant? i can just see you there holding the flowers and wearing a nice dress with FOUR big gold bars on each shoulder.

BWAHAHAHA

what an idiot

wirraway - just saw your reply there, as i have already explained, i think, i wasn't trying to be rude. anyway, thats life, people take things how they want to

Nudlaug
15th Aug 2004, 15:09
Wirraway wrote:

As far as the news postings go, usually less than 20min a day, my computer is hooked into 'news alerts' which sends me an email with the link to particular news story's involving- Qantas, Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Air NZ, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Australian Airlines, Jetstar Asia, Airasia, Tiger Air, Nok airlines, Thai Airlines and Silkair.

Well that explains. That is exactly what Qantas is doing on their Intranet. "News Alerts" on many aviation news.

I always thought you get the news from them since they obviously come from the same source. :\

But as I said, good on you! Excellent news for everybody!:ok:

Keg
15th Aug 2004, 16:27
Capt J is a teenager so it's no surprise that some of his statements come with the naievity of youth. That said, since you're older and in the industry newbe, what's your excuse?!?! :E

The other 'interesting' thing is that Capt J's comments are dismissed in this thread due to his age and lack of aviation experience. I reckon he's pretty close to the mark- if somewhat more over zealous than I would have been. He may be young but that doesn't make his initial comments any less pertinent, relevant or less correct. Perhaps some have an inflated idea of where they fit into the world and feel that just because someone is younger or less experienced that they couldn't have possibly seen the emporer without his clothes. It's an attitude that won't go down particularly well on a QF flight deck newbe. :rolleyes:

Regards,

OzExpat
15th Aug 2004, 18:41
Onya Wirraway! You already know that WE appreciate your efforts! :ok: This thread surely MUST be a wind-up by someone who has waaaaay too much time on his/her hands... :yuk:

air-hag
15th Aug 2004, 21:50
KEG is a teenager.. Keg and Wirraway are the *&%^*% twins, it's obvious. now kiss each other's butts you two,

bloodin eck too many pints o heiny tonihgt!!!!!

ArrrrrGHHHHHHHHH ! ! !

Woomera
15th Aug 2004, 21:51
newbe20. Please go and re-read the rules you agreed to when you signed up with PPRuNe.

And if you feel this is first and your last warning, you are correct for once.

Woomera

Keg
15th Aug 2004, 22:00
lol. I WISH I was a teenager. Alas my five year old and two year old remind me all too clearly that I'm holding oh so dearly to my 'early' thirties! :( :} :ok:

jangerlingjangerling
16th Aug 2004, 09:02
Keg you have good intentions as does the Capt J kid. If you care to do a little research of some of his posts littered throughout the entire D&G section, e.g. - you will see him giving advice to people who are on active hold to get into QF, words of encouragement are one thing but that is soooooooooo ridiculous from someone who’s not in the vicinity of that kind experience. That was just one of many examples. Now I wish the kid all the best in life and his career and his enthusiasm for aviation should be noted by all. His views are founded solely from what he has read on PPRUNE. Wouldn't life be scary if the aviation world as you knew was solely taken from the views posted by the ignorant ranters and ravers that live on this site (myself one of the more ignorant) and not being able to take some the comments with a grain of salt due to ones own aviation experience and background.

Capt J – You play with the bull you get the horns, welcome to first grade sonny

Capt. J
16th Aug 2004, 09:14
Hello jangerlingjangerling, I also get some info from friends who work in Qantas. Cheers

Hugh Jarse
16th Aug 2004, 09:26
One of Wirraway's qualities is that he can sort the wheat from the chaff when it comes to news......

Pity we don't have an automatic function on here to do the same with some posters...

Keep up the good work, Wirraway.:ok:

jerrry
16th Aug 2004, 22:51
I'd be interested in knowing what Wirraway does in Qantas????
Are you actually a Pilot or a Wannabe?

Kaptin M
16th Aug 2004, 23:01
Well jerry, if you can keep a secret, Wirraway is neither ("Are you actually a Pilot or a Wannabe?"), actually he's GOD (from QANTAS)...you know, Geoff D_ _ _ _:eek: he really does love his pilots, and feels that those bonuses should entail putting a little more BACK into aviation than he takes :p

OTOH, you might think Wirraway was being just a trifle flippant with his real ID, when he wrote"Laugh my ass off, no Nudlaug, I am not a Qantas employee.."
Naughty boy Wirra!!!

Binoculars
16th Aug 2004, 23:03
jerrry,

If you read the thread instead of baying from the sidelines just to hear your own voice you'd know he doesn't work for Qantas. :rolleyes:

Woomera
17th Aug 2004, 01:16
Binoculars got it in one. :)

And, with thanks again to our freind Wirraway for his inestimable and valued services over the years, keeping us and those of us without easy access to the aviation news, it's time for the big click to this thread.!

Oh and BTW were you to pay a media monitoring organisation for this service the flagfall is around $1,000 per month plus some tens of dollars per individual article. :hmm: