PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth renewing MECR?

Megaptera
13th Aug 2004, 17:39
I am an OATS graduate (finished 2 years ago) and my IR and MECR are due for renewal soon. Last year I renewed both in a PA34 but this year the money is a little tighter. I realize I can get my IR renewed in a sim for around £300 but to include the MECR will cost at least as much again (as it will have to be done in a real plane). What I would like to know is whether it is worth the cost to renew the MECR as it is not a type-rating as such. Of course, the IR incorporates elements that prove you can handle a twin but as far as potential airline employers are concerned (and that is who counts the most) is that enough? I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

monkeyboy
14th Aug 2004, 06:32
Megaptera, I popped into Oxford a coupe of weeks ago as mine was up for renewal and I asked one or two of the instructors for some advice on the matter.

The general concensus was that there was no point renewing it if I didn't plan to fly twin engined piston a/c weighing under 5700kgs. As you say, it's not needed to fly multi engined TP because I imagine most of those weigh over 5700kgs!

However, if you were looking to do air taxi work etc then it might come in handy.

The next question though is, how does a potential employer view the fact that you've let your ME rating and possibly ME skills lapse? I suppose you could argue that you had a choice between your IR and your ME and you chose your IR.

Cheers

MB

IRISHPILOT
14th Aug 2004, 10:06
ME IR for £300 is a good price. I paid slightly more in Stapleford 18 months ago, but was well impressed with their training.

None of the airlines I worked for even bothered looking at the bit of paper, so may I suggest you only get the IR, not the CR. Maybe even let the whole thing lapse til you get an interview, as the renewal shouldn't take more than two days to renew.

If I remember correctly, you do exactly same training / test, if lapsed up to 6 months, training "as deemed adequate by the authority" if lapsed more than 6 months. - usually 5 hours including test, which is probably what you'd need anyway after such a length of time.

I can assure you, from my experience, that an employer is not interested wether you can fly a small twin engine prop, given that you can fly it in IMC.

hope that helps, IP

Megaptera
14th Aug 2004, 10:45
Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I'll just renew the IR and let the MECR lapse as I doubt very much I'll be flying light twins in the forseeable future. Cheers.