PDA

View Full Version : What ratings do I really need?

taxitoalpha
13th Aug 2004, 12:45
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what ratings do I really need for my (f)ATPL.
For example, i have my PPL, do I need to add a night rating to this, or will an instrument rating taken after my CPL later cover this? I do not really want to spend extra cash where it isn't needed.

Thanks

Richard

GusHoneybun
13th Aug 2004, 12:58
No question is stoopid.

The concept of a fATPL was dreamed up by HR to save on tiresome keyboard typing as to what qualifications they want from any pilot wannabe applicants.

Let me try and explain. First you will need to have a PPL. I see you have this so jolly good. Second you will need to enrol on a course to teach you the ATPL groundschool. There are many schools that do this either by distance learning or by residential. For more info use the search function else you will encounter the wrath of young scroggsy the moderator.
After you have theory under you belt and the required hours, you will need to sit the practical side on training, namely the CPL, Multi Engine and the Instrument Rating. Once successfully passed you will be the proud owner of one fATPL. Please note, that this is not an actual licence it is only a term to mean you have a CPL and an IR.

You must have completed the training for the night qualification prior to CPL issue and hence is a requirement for a fATPL.

taxitoalpha
13th Aug 2004, 14:43
GusHoneybun

Many thanks for this, I guess I will do my night rating while doing my hour building session.

Thanks for you help

Richard

High Wing Drifter
13th Aug 2004, 15:17
Richard,

Best you get yourself a copy of "LASORS" from the CAA. You be needing to refer in detail to understand what your options are. Its only tenner or a free download from the CAA site.

My only advice is use the answer to questions here as a starting point, don't act on them!

Good luck,
HWD.

chipieflyer
14th Aug 2004, 23:33
I thought a frozen ATPL had to include an MCC as well. Have i got the wrong end of yet another stick?

High Wing Drifter
15th Aug 2004, 08:08
"Frozen ATPL" is just aviation slang for a CPL/IR and MCC. There is in fact no officially recognised term as "Frozen ATPL." All you need to apply for work is a CPL/IR.

The MCC is required for a multi-crew job, but then if you don't have one and it is not stipulated by the employer as required then it will probably be incorporated into the type rating.

IRISHPILOT
15th Aug 2004, 09:47
This slang is actually used by many authorities around the world for a CPL with ATPL theory credit.

This is simply the next higher theory for a lower licence. the ATPL theory includes the IR theory. However, as you do not need an IR for a CPL, you will hold a fATPL as soon as you have passed your CPL flight test, no need for ratings to be added like the IR or ME or night.

The MCC is not part of any licence, and is therefore not a requirement for any licence whatsoever. It is simply needed for people who do not have 500 hours of experience on aircraft that have to be flown by two pilots by regulation. And yes, this could in theory be a C150, (however, the smaller an aircraft the more difficult it would be to justify the company requirement for an additional pilot). :D

All this information comes from my personal copy of the JARs, which were brand new last summer. So I stand co be corrected. However, the UK CAA makes their own rules, not necessarily JAR at all, so you'd need to check the LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF)

My personal advice would be to get a PPL from a non-JAR country, as you'd loose a JAR PPL once you get your JAR CPL (eg. an FAA one, as it doesn't expire), and, when the time comes, do an MCC either on a cheap side, or, if you can afford it, on an aircraft a bit more interesting. - There are MCCs from £1000 to £4500 (and believe it or not, the cheapest I found was a full motion turboprop airliner with a national airline, whereas the most expensive one was a jet without motion!!). :ooh: This was two years ago, so things will have changed and you'll need to shop around...

Ah, just saw you got the PPL already. Well, at least hour building abroad should save you a bunch.

hope this helps :ok: regards, IP