PDA

View Full Version : Flying World Wide...

MARZ
13th Aug 2004, 08:23
Ok, I'll try posting the same topic in this forum... I do not speak italian, but the subject relates directly to the italian aviation industry... thanks for your understanding.

I currently live in Australia and I am 19 years old. I have started learning to fly (30 hours), however I hold both Australian and European Citizenship meaning I can work in either places.
I have recently travelled to Europe (Italy) and I was truly amazed. The amount of air traffic in europe is significantly higher to that in Australia. After looking at the Australian Aviation scene, it itn's that crash hot. There are two main Airlines (Qantas and Virgin Blue).
I can name at least twelve european airlines just off the top of my head.
It would seem silly to throw away this sort of opportunity, also, I would love to live and work in europe simply because the place really interests me!!

Maybe if I learn't to fly in europe (Italy preferred), then there would be better job opportunities...? given the amount of air traffic this seems logical. I am not familiar with the aviation scene in Europe, could anyone enlighten me on the situation?
In terms of finance, would it roughly cost the same amount to learn to fly in italy than to australia?
Any info is appreciated.... cheers, Marz

tarjet fixated
16th Aug 2004, 00:11
First of all there's more air traffic here in the EU then in australia because there are something like 350million europeans spread in 25 EU countries, italy alone has 58million.
If you wanna work here you not only need an EU passport but also a JAR licence and i would suggest you to take it in the UK and not in italy (which by the way does not issue JAR licences yet).
Why the UK?because they issue full JAR licences,because their schools are better organized and because they are used to foreign students.
the costs of a JAR frozen ATPL?well in the order of 60-70 thousand euros.
job opportunities in the EU?well if you are determined and stubborn there might be chances...in italy the situation is a bit more difficult since they mostly require experienced pilots with the relative type on thir licence.
hope this helps.
ciao