PDA

View Full Version : Phase III Bravo

Gilky
13th Aug 2004, 05:34
I phoned Shawbury yesterday for a weather report prior to setting off on a PPL training flight planned to transit their zone, and the response from the guy on the phone was 'we have Phase III Bravo'.

Being too much of a pooss to ask him to translate to plain speak for me, I wonder if anyone here could, particularly as my instructor has asked me to find out what it meant before my next lesson.

Thanks

Molesworth Hold
13th Aug 2004, 05:44
Phase 0 the worst, Phase 5 the best. It’s just a system that limits training activities dependent on the weather. Alpha and Bravo refer to diversion fuel.

BEagle
13th Aug 2004, 05:48
As I told you on the other site where you posted this, the phase system is for flying supervision. The numpty who read it to you should instead have given you the 'actual' weather or METAR.

Why the big deal about MATZ penetrations? They're only Class G outside the actual ATZ and the recommended procedure is quite clearly stated in CAP 413.

Some years ago, a military aerodrome was infamous for regarding the MATZ it had as some sort of controlled airspace - "Remain clear of the MATZ" being one of their more terse instructions. So local pilots took to ignoring them and merely advised that they would be transiting the MATZ, remaining clear of the ATZ..... A change of SATCO and things improved!

Gilky
13th Aug 2004, 08:23
BEagle,

Appreciate your response but it didn't answer the specific question I asked, which has now been answered on the PF forum, so we can consider this closed. Mod?

G

BigGrecian
13th Aug 2004, 15:20
Better than that guy a few years ago who penetrated Waddington's MATZ whilst the airshow was on, and the airshow was suspended. Heard he got fined a large sum of money for that one in court.

BEagle
13th Aug 2004, 17:16
It would have been an infringement of a TRA, not an entry into the MATZ which would have caused the enforcement branch to take action....