PDA

View Full Version : Fast Jet Over Hurn

Compass Call
12th Aug 2004, 20:20
Tonight at about 2000Hrs. a military fast jet went vertical over Hurn(Bournemouth). I heard this very loud roar followed by a lovely crackling noise of sheer unadulterated power. By the time I got outside to find out what it was all I could see was an aircraft levelling off at altitude, It looked about an inch long.

I would like to thank the crew of that aircraft for waking up our sleepy hollow. It made my day after a boring day at work. I would like to know what type of aircraft it was. Anybody know?
Also next time could they please let me they are coming so that I can get a grandstand view.

The two local moggies sh$t themselves and scarpered up a tree - funny as hell. Still there I think. :)

Well done and do it again soon:ok:

CC

TangoZulu
12th Aug 2004, 22:24
Aircraft was a Tornado GR4 from one of the squadrons in Scotland - it was doing a low-level fly past at the Defence Fuels Group West Moors (about 4 nm N of EGHH) for the summer cocktail party and sunset ceremony - initial fly past at 2000L exactly as the Union Jack was being lowered.

It flew past once, turned around, flew over again and as it passed overhead went vertical up to 20,000ft +.

It was followed a bit later by a low level fly past from a C130J which was going to drop the Falcons - except for the 700ft low cloud which kept interfering!

It looked pretty impressive from the ground!

TZ

pulse1
13th Aug 2004, 13:02
I would like to thank the pilots of that C130.

I was locked in a tense tennis match and was just about to serve when our opponents suddenly stopped, open mouthed and looking over my head. I looked around to see a C130, in a vertical bank pointing straight at me, landing lights on.

It continued the turn and looked as if was giving Wimborne a low flypast. Probably was the fuel depot.

Our opponents never regained their concentration and we won the match.

Thanks guys.

Edited to tell Compass 2:

I gather you are not supposed to call it Hurn
I was coming into EGHH two weeks ago, during HRH visit and heard the plod helicopter requesting clearance to refuel at Hurn.

Controller said that he couldn't give him clearance for that but he was welcome to come into Bournemouth.

Plod says, OK we will come into Bournemouth International Airport

:rolleyes:

Compass Call
13th Aug 2004, 18:40
pulse 1

I put Bournemouth in brackets because it surprising how many people have never heard of Hurn Airport - even the 'locals'. If you say 'Bournemouth' or 'Bournemouth International' they know straight away where you are talking about. Mention 'Hurn' and they say "Where?" They drive to the airport and pass through Hurn village and never even see the village name sign!

Thanks for the info about the Tornado. Got the cats out of the tree this morning. One scratched me the ungrateful git.

CC

Flak Jacket
14th Aug 2004, 21:06
Also on the 13th at hurn there was an F3 which went vertical over the runway about mid afternoon, the red arrows staging from there for the Eastbourne airshow. Plus the FRA jets in formation and an impressive run and break by a Nimrod at about 1300 and a Sea Vixen!