PDA

View Full Version : Manually changing display settings

Smurfjet
12th Aug 2004, 19:57
Yo gang, need help...

Just updated graphics drivers, and I was playing with the settings (resolution/color depth) when windows decided not to cooperate. I have an old monitor and graphics card. The monitor dosen't like anything above 800x600 and even that needs tweaking before its happy with it. So I was tweaking for 800x600, and you know how windows (XPro) will tell you that if you're not happy, settings will go back in 15 seconds. So I hit escape, not wanting to wait, as I usually do, but nothing happend. So now the screen is not readable, and in safe mode I can't change display settings. Is there something that can be "manually" changed?

Cheers
SJ:ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Aug 2004, 20:04
Smurfjet,

It would help knowing which Vid Card and monitor you have along with the Drivers you are using.

When you set your desktop, I would recommend using 16Bit Color since there is no reason to render your Desktop in 32Bit Color. (Especially if you are playing a flight sim or other game, you do not want Windows rendering your Desktop in 32Bit Color in the background. Just slows down your comp's performance.) Depending on the Monitor, I would usually set 85Hz for CRTs and 75Hz for LCDs.

Take Care,

Richard

Smurfjet
12th Aug 2004, 20:08
Hi Richard,

Matrox MGA100 AGP
NEC MultiSync 2A

This is very old stuff I know...

the problem right now is I can't see my desktop to do those changes. When I installed winXP it defaulted me to 32bit so I was reducing that to 16 when at the same time I set the resolution to 800x600. It was 640x480 before. Anyway right now I can log in safe mode but I can't change display settings in that mode for next restart. I'm trying to find out how to set 16 bit and 640x480 for next reboot

Cheers
SJ

Lost_luggage34
12th Aug 2004, 20:30
Interesting topic which I can't recall being covered before.

Richard, is your recommendation wrt 16bit a general recommendation ?

For example I am still running with my 17" CRT originally purchased from Dell (a 1028L CRT) along with my PC in 1997.

It's still running well apart from the odd dry joint which I have rectified.

One day when I can justify it, I will go flatscreen.

However, I just use the in-built video adapter which is an Intel 82865G on an Intel D865GBF Motherboard with a 2.4Mhz CPU.

I have found that 85Hz on the video adapter settings makes a huge difference vs. the old days when 50/60Hz was the norm or maximum.

I don't use my system for games, have good eyesight etc. But have always opted for 32bit True Colour in Display Settings.

Would be very curious to have your opinion wrt this.

Thanks in advance.

LL34

Memetic
12th Aug 2004, 20:34
Hi Smurfjet,

Are you running windows 98?

If so I believe that if you can boot to a dos prompt you should be able to fix this by opening win.ini in a text editor. I think that :

edit c:/windows/system/win.ini

should get you going.

If I rember correctly your should be able to find the right beits to edit pretty easily. Might be worth saving a copy before tinkering.

Can anyone confirm my memory here - it's been a while!

Memetic.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Aug 2004, 20:41
Smurfjet,

You are right, that is pretty old. ;)

I will have to go research to see what the specs on the old Matrox MGA100 AGP & NEC MultiSync 2A.

I will get back to you shortly.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Memetic I am pretty sure he is running WinXP.

Smurfjet
12th Aug 2004, 20:47
Guess my OS hinting was a bit subtle ;) Its Windows XP Pro. Nothing much in the ini files (system/win) it a very fresh installation with SP1.

Richard I'm googling too.

Cheers
SJ:cool:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Aug 2004, 21:18
Smurfjet,

I was looking though the Matrox Site:

You can identify your card by the model number that is found either on the original box or on a white sticker on the card itself.

How do I identify my Matrox Graphics card? (http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/identify_product.cfm)

But I could not find the card listed on their website.

I am just starting to think it might be worth getting a £30 Vid Card that is a little more up to date. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. The Monitor is an old 14" CRT, just go get a new 17" CRT. It is time! :eek:

Smurfjet
12th Aug 2004, 21:36
Its fixed, I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them...

The PC is only for internet connection sharing so there is no point in spending big money for that. Its an old PII so ;)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Cheers
SJ

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Aug 2004, 21:39
Smurfjet,

That is great news. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Lost_luggage34
12th Aug 2004, 22:55
Any thoughts on my post ?

Apologies for a thread hijack - but as said, I don't believe this mystery of video settings has been discussed before.

Memetic
12th Aug 2004, 23:36
Hmm I needed to read slower, post slower on this one!

I read the bit about XP as a comparison.:O

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Aug 2004, 00:51
Lost_luggage34,

Sorry, I was not trying to ignore your post.

This applies to just about any computer. I have not seen many desktops that have 32Bit Color Backgrounds that would benefit from displaying in 32Bit.

With the computers from 5 years ago you could see a difference in benchmarks when you left the desktop in 32Bit vs 16Bit. The reason is that the background is constantly rendered even though you are playing a game or sim in full screen mode.

The comps today are a lot more powerful so it is not as noticeable, but there is no point using CPU Cycles on something that gives no benefit and slows things down.

You can try a test. Put your desktop in 32Bit and then 16Bit, if you do not notice any difference, then your desktop is not a 32Bit Color Desktop. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Lost_luggage34
13th Aug 2004, 11:59
Thanks Richard.

I changed my display settings from 32bit True Colour to 16bit and absolutely no difference to the display quality.

Interesting.

amanoffewwords
13th Aug 2004, 12:24
ditto, wonder what it will do to my Battle Vietnam game :E

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Aug 2004, 13:22
Charles,

Games set their own display color and size, so desktop size and color, rendering in the background, does make a difference to performance but not to the look of the game. Try to see what changes in frame rates you get. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
14th Aug 2004, 08:40
Didn't work, I'm still rubbish at this 'game'. ;)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Aug 2004, 16:43
Charles,

Better luck next time. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
15th Aug 2004, 18:03
It's ok. my "workaround" is to shoot the members of my own team - they never shoot back (code flaw). :E What better way to relax after a day in front of the computer that by playing on the ..err. computer... :uhoh:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Aug 2004, 18:25
Charles,

Lately I have been relaxing (or better put, jumping out of my skin) with the eye candy from Doom 3. It is an amazing game if you want something to shoot at. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard