PDA

View Full Version : Jetconnect

uno cheater
11th Aug 2004, 21:42
Hello everyone.

With jetconnect slowly introducing 737-300 now up to 8 aircraft, I am hearing rumours that this continued expansion will last for the forseable future. The hush is that Qantas is seeking more -300 and will eventually replace these aircraft with -800 to hold a major position in New Zealand market.

Can we please open up discussion on this matter as it will surely impact on us all.

Whats the go with Jetconnect, does any one know anything about their comany structure, history, interview, pay and prospects for crossing over to Qantas itself.

Why is Jetconnect flying the name Qantas with the flying Kangaroo, last time I looked there were no kangaroos in New Zealand?

Tankengine
12th Aug 2004, 07:08
From what we are told at work: Jetconnect is owned by Qantas, was originally AWAS and was inherited by Qantas after Ansett folded. Qantas mainline 737s did some domestic NZ flying a few years ago after QantasNZ [the former AnsettNZ and not owned by Qantas] folded. This mainline flying was temporary and Jetconnect started from the ashes of AWAS and started flying domestically within NZ with ex Qantas 737-300s [and perhaps others?] Later they expanded to cross Tasman flying [this is what pisses mainline pilots off!]
Don't know about structure, interviews etc, a few ex Ansett Aust guys there as Captains? Crew are based in NZ. Pay low, prospects for crossing over to mainline almost nil. From what I can gather the crews will move on when they can.
Jetconnect flies Qantas flight numbers, you are correct about no Kangaroos in NZ but no Kiwis or toru's in Oz either! :E

Captain Can't
12th Aug 2004, 09:33
only a few ways to tell, taxiing past them at the tulla intl ZK rego, and a thuck kewi accented FNC :suspect:

Thump & Go
14th Aug 2004, 00:12
That's funny Capt Cannot, over here (Enzid :))besides the white rat we can tell it's Jetconnect from the true-blue Ocker accent!!:E
How do you suppose that happens?

Thump:ok:

Captain Can't
14th Aug 2004, 06:24
hehehe Fair call thump! :) but the truth doesn't always convey the true feeling of the Jetconnect establishment... And I wouldn't be ocka if I didn't take/make any opportunity to gee up the east islanders... :p :} :E

assymetric
30th Aug 2004, 05:59
Does anyone know of details i.e. who to send CV to and maybe a name and telephone number for pilot recruitment. Or is that done through QF. :ok:

Cloud Cutter
30th Aug 2004, 07:40
assymetric

They're on StaffCV, completely seperate from QF recruitment.

www.pilot.staffcv.com (http://www.pilot.staffcv.com)

air-hag
30th Aug 2004, 10:49
Why is Jetconnect flying the name Qantas with the flying Kangaroo, last time I looked there were no kangaroos in New Zealand? But there are plenty of kiwis in Australia...

Well what with InnZidd being insidiously absorbed we probably went a bit too quick and you noticed that move. But there was NO WAY there wuz gonna be any proboscis-nosed ant-eating wingless-wonder chook painted on the side.

Now when InnZidd adopts the AUD and ditches the commie red-lined stars, we will paint another point or two on our Star and the assimilation into the Bored Cube will be complete - just as soon as we beat that ridiculous accent out of y'all.

:ok:

MOR
30th Aug 2004, 11:25
Yeah but you can fry that chook up and it goes great with fries and ketchup. Try doing that with your white rat... ;)

At least our accent is cultured. Less convict in it, I guess.

I'm just off to Seeedneee, might have a swim in the hotel perl.... :yuk:

Thump & Go
30th Aug 2004, 22:02
Aren't the stars white lined?:confused:

Kaptin M
30th Aug 2004, 22:49
http://www.mch.govt.nz/nzflag/images/nz-flag.jpg
Red at the centre - just like Helen!

Who can remember when Aussies used to get NZD1.22 for the AUD :ok:
It's down to NZD1.07 (and has been as low as NZD1.05 that I can remember) :{ , which may go part the way to explaining why some of the operators prefer to base themselves out of there.

I found this rather "quaint" comment on one of the N.Z. websites:-

Capital City: Wellington

Main Cities: Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton

Population: 3,825,000 Area [sq.km]: 270,990

Currency: 1 New Zealand dollar = 100 cents

Languages: English, Maori

Religions: Anglican, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic

I understood the "Religions" (in no particular order) to be Christian, Muslim, Buddhism, Sikhism, etc, with the above being DENOMINATIONS of the Christian religion.

GT-R
30th Aug 2004, 23:10
I suggest you try and get your grammar correct first, then you can worry about religion.

Going Boeing
30th Aug 2004, 23:16
Kap

If your post is correct then it appears that Helen doesn't consider Wellington a major city. The Wallabies probably agree. GB

Kaptin M
30th Aug 2004, 23:48
I suggest you try and get your grammar correct first How about we start with your's first, GT_R....."I suggest you try to.."
Remember the little rule - "try" is always followed by "to" :O

Now, you were saying about religion?

It is a rather quaint, colonial trait that Kiwis - the Pacific Poms - should still be so small minded and insulated to consider Christianity as the only religion, and then further sub-divide IT!!

Good point, GB - from the tourists' points of view, I would have thought that Queenstown - closely followed by Hanmer Springs - should have rated a mention!! :p

peetee6
31st Aug 2004, 03:30
I for one am impressed, an Ozzie that has heard of Hanmer, good work Tourisim New Zealand!

Wrektifly
13th Sep 2004, 02:29
Pity an enquiry from UnoCheater about Jetconnect quickly degenerated into cross Tasman needleing. Tankengine is generally correct about Jetconnect and the facts are;
Afetr the demise of Ansett NZ and Qantas NZ (Qantas in name only), Qantas maintained a presence in NZ with a few 737-3's and temporary transfer crew. Jetconnect was established to provide the cabin crew (mostly, formerly AnsettNZ).
Come Sept. 2001 and the "demise" of Ansett Australia, Qantas needed extra capacity in Aus, brought their 737's home and took advantage of the availability of Ansett aircraft and crew to continue NZ operations in the form of a wet lease ,provided by AWAS ( Ansett Worldwide Aviation Services, which was not a division of Ansett).
AWAS employed approx' 30 ex Ansett and SolAir pilots on a short term contract (to April 2002) and used 3 AWAS aircraft that hed been leased to Ansett-

Wrektifly
13th Sep 2004, 04:16
ATFA cont.
leased to Ansett- VH-CZR/S/U. A fourth AWAS aircraft from Brazil was added in early 2002 - VH-JNE. The operation was run by AWAS's Chief Pilot, the very capable and much admired Ted Walters. Operations staff were former AnsettNZ and engineering and ground handling provided by AirNZ.
The pilot contracts were renewed to the end of Oct. 2002 with Qantas acquiring an AWAS Aoc (AWOPS- Ansett Worldwide OPerationS, subsequently name changed to Australian Wetleasing OPerationS)
AWAS contract pay was good, ($A,super, dta and accom'n) and the crew were enthusiastic and dedicated. Qantas could obviously see the "advantages" of the NZ employment/industrial system and set about establishing a solely NZ operation-- Jetconnect Ltd.
1st Sept. 2002, the hard work and professionalism in getting the operation up and running ,the pilots were rewarded with an approx' 40% cut in remuneration and cancellation of the last 2 months of their AWAS contract-( take it or leave it, there are still lots of ex Ansett pilots in Aus chasing work). The exodus begins! On Oct. 16th Jetconnect, a wholly owned subsidiary of Qantas, receives its NZ Aoc..... VH- etc becomes ZK- .
The present:-
Company structure; one of, REGIONAL AIRLINES for QANTAS.
Executive General Manager.. Syd.
In Auckand, General Manager.. ex AirNZ
Flight Operations Manager .. ex Ansett Aust.
Regulatory Training Manager .. ex Ansett AUST.
Check and Training .. a mix of Ansett Aust. and AnsettNZ.
Crew members .. about 80, of which approx' 55% Aus / 45% Kiwi( mostly ex AnsettNZ). That is why the Kiwis recognise the OZ accent and the Oz recognise the Kiwi accent in Mel/Bne/Syd when the FO's are using SMC.
Fleet:- 8 737-300; ZK-JNA/B/C/E/F/G/H and ZK-CZU.
ZK-JNB replaced ZK- CZR (VH-CZR), and ZK-JNC replaced ZK-CZS (VH-CZS)
ZK-JND (planned) will evenytually replace ZK- CZU. (VH-CZU)
All JN- aircraft except JNE (AWAS) , are ex Qantas (TA- and TJ) aircraft; eg JNF was TAU.
All are painted in Qantas livery and operate QF flight numbers. ( operated on behalf of Qantas by Jetconnect Ltd.)
Route structure :- AKL-WLG-AKL; AKL-CHC-AKL; AKL-ZQN-AKL; WLG-CHC-WLG; CHC-ZQN-CHC; CHC-ROT-CHC.
Trans Tasman commenced 1st Sept 2003 :- 27 return / week from WLG and CHC to SYD/MEL/BNE.
Remuneration :- as at 1st Sept. 2004-- Individual Eployment Agreement.
Captains; Base salary $NZ 110,000 per yr with a $15,000 retention bonus, paid as a lump sum on your anniversary of joining (no pro-rata; if you leave 1 day before your anniversary, zero)
First Officers; 2 rates, dependant on whether you have 737 experience or not. With experience, Base salary $66,000 / yr with a $9,000 retention bonus ( same conditions as Capt.).
Without experience, Base salary $55,000 until gaining 500 hrs on type. It is only then that your year of service re the retention bonus starts.
DTA... Yes@ $3.20/hr
Superannuation... No The pay is considered by most to be nothing more than a "job search" allowance !!!
Staff travel with Qantas ... minimal, with no interline agreements ( staff "are not really Qantas employees")
Applications ...Staff CV
Interviews .. In house and independant of Qantas.
Type Endorsements .. buy your own; (approx $A 25,000) however, Jetconnect will contribute some if the endorsement is completed at an approved organisation.
Career path into Qantas .. Ha Ha ha ha.
Redundancy provisions in IEA .. Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha.

slamer
13th Sep 2004, 04:34
KAP..... you consider KIWI's to be small minded, you may want to consider this, while you "poke the Borax" at your Easterly neighbours your Northerly neighbours take your lives!!!!!!!

PS....HAG can you EVER contribute something positive to this site??

NoseGear
13th Sep 2004, 08:44
Slamer,

I find your post to be highly offensive, distasteful and very disrespectful. It totally lacks in basic common sense. If you cant see the difference between friendly banter (poking the borax) and your mindless comment, then fark off, grow a brain and come back when you can.

As a kiwi, I apologise for this idiot (slamer) for showing such a lack of respect to those who he refers to.

Nosey

splatgothebugs
13th Sep 2004, 09:29
Nosey, well said:ok:

Wrektifly, good post I was always interested as to what the deal was.

cheers

splat:ok:

Eastwest Loco
13th Sep 2004, 13:01
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: - Wrektifly - I am honestly amazed by the pay levels for a 737 skipper. Gobsmacked indeed.

I think I am very happy piloting my Travel Agency and 20 year old Z car.

Talk about undervalued. That is atrocious. There is no way known someone with my level of training and qualification should ever earn more than a Captain who flies a medium sized jetliner. I find that just plain wrong.

Tirade over

EWL slinks away shaking his head in dismay.

assymetric
13th Sep 2004, 16:56
Hey Wrektifly any chance you may be able to provide the name of the Ops. Manager at Jetconnect. PM me if you wish.

Australia2
13th Sep 2004, 17:18
Slamer,

The most inappropriate, p@ss poor post I have seen on Prune to date.

Oz2

air-hag
13th Sep 2004, 19:12
it's alright guys... I can take it. You know I just try to add a little humour and light-heartedness to an otherwise bleak world and guys like slamer come along and cut me down. Well I have a thick skin but still, sometimes it cuts to the bone. I have feeling too you know. :{

Now what was he saying about our northerly neighbours taking our wives?!?!?! They're bwoody welcome to them........ :rolleyes:

:E

Wrektifly
17th Sep 2004, 11:03
assymetric
Ops manager is Pete Doery
Fly

rescue 1
17th Sep 2004, 21:21
Thanks EWL - are you interested in doing some contract work and helping with negotations?

bonvol
17th Sep 2004, 22:44
Pete Doery??

Wasn't he the ex branch Chairman of the AFAP who acted so admirably back in the good old days?

Good to see him in a position he deserves.

Eastwest Loco
18th Sep 2004, 09:52
Would if I could rescue 1.

EWL