PDA

View Full Version : Air Nelsons Future Part 2

incidentreport
11th Aug 2004, 20:53
Does anyone know what the new agreement means for the pilots?? Are rumors of a $3000 pay rise once on the new fleet true?? And if so.. was this the only change in contract or has there been other major changes??

belowMDA
12th Aug 2004, 08:07
Not so sure about conditions but as I understand it there was 3% as of July, 3% next July 3% the one after and with the new type 14% from present rate(pre July 3% rise)

charliemanson
12th Aug 2004, 09:15
I hear that a lot of Origin pilots have got interviews coming up with... Mt. Cook... Air New Zealand... Jet Connect... Virgin Blue... Sounds like there could be some movement on the way for Origin?? Anyone in the know on this?? What about the Air Nelson guys?? Any interviews comin up there??
Air Chatham's have just lost a few pilots to the likes of Mt. Cook and Air Nelson, some from Airwork have also recently left...
Yet as far as recruiting goes... for the newbies it seems like Eagle are the only ones still hiring. By 'only ones still hiring' I mean... running interviews and ground courses, following through with starts shortly after. I realise Air Nelson recently ran a round of interviews but sounds like none have been taken on so far... Origin still have a pool of pilots waiting for starts on both the 31 and 41 fleet...
Any ideas anyone?? Or do I have to crawl back to my woolworths manager......... AGAIN!!!!!
:O

Sqwark2004
12th Aug 2004, 19:25
Rumour has it...

Air Nelson will probably not be looking at anyone in the near future as they have 3 ground courses worth of people to still get through.

Eagle are looking at running at least another 3 rounds of interviews and ground courses b4 the end of the year.

From Origin's last lot of ground courses there is only one person from each type (not currently in Origin) waiting on starts as everyone else has either been offered starts or groundcourses with other airlines. Of these two people, they too have alternative options. Origin will be running a ground course for each type during the summer.

My advice, don't go crawling back to Woolies just yet.

S2K4eva

incidentreport
12th Aug 2004, 19:46
With the Air Nelson recruiting... are they not just waiting to see what happens with the fleet replacement?? If they get some flash new type then shorely they will need to hire extra pilots to cover while others train... Unfortunately if they only get 340B's, one would assume that they won't need so many pilots.
I can't quite understand why they would run a round of interviews if the intention was to hire the pilots six months or more later?? (if any are left)
If they do confirm this new fleet shortly, does anyone know when they would start to arrive?? Next year one would expect.

Plas Teek
12th Aug 2004, 20:53
A while back the Air NZ Head Shed had a chat with the 3 regionals and advised them of the impending cull of their pilots by Big Bro.

They also allowed them to crew up in advance of this movement.

And given that there are about 2 from Air Nelson on each interview round, you do the figures.

Until recently, for example, Air Nelson couldn't replace a pilot until the leaving pilot had actually handed in their resignation, and 4 weeks later he/she would be gone.

Then would start the 2-3 month training saga of replacing the (say) captain with a new one from the F/O ranks, then replacing the F/O. etc... (or vice versa)

This pilot would've been able to tell mgt that they were going into Air NZ within hours of leaving the selection room. So possibly 3 months before a start date, depending on fleet.

(I understand that the new regime sends out letters a few days later...
Shame. The old way was far superior.)

So maybe this explains the stockpile of people.;)

)Probably similar to what Cathay are doing by giving some Eagle pilots start dates 12 months away so Air NZ can't get them..:confused: )

On the contract front. They didn't give anything away.
Got some better things put in (not financial more lifestyle I suppose).
Can't comment on the $$ front.

Still a great to outfit to work for. (and you can never choose your boss :yuk: where ever you work)
Good and well maintained toys. Great bunch to work with.
Good social life and good training.

incidentreport
14th Aug 2004, 22:44
Plas Teek...
given that there are about 2 from Air Nelson on each interview round, you do the figures
And Sqwark2004
they have 3 ground courses worth of people to still get through
So in doing the maths... Sounds like around 20+ pilots waiting on starts for Air Nelson... and 2 per month from Air Nelson being interviewed... So if these guys going to Air NZ interviews started the day after being interviewed, it would take 10+ months to take on all these pilots???? Unless of course a fleet replacement other than 340B's comes along... in which case... the new planes would not be here till next year so either way, these guys have a long wait ahead one would think.

Cloud Cutter
14th Aug 2004, 23:09
incidentreport

It would appear that way, and that's assuming everyone gets through their NZ interviews. Although there may be other things in the equation - I think they (NSN) are already short of pilots, some may also be going to Mount Cook or Cathay, and possibly retirements.

Plas Teek
14th Aug 2004, 23:19
OK. I'll clarify a bit.

At the moment there are two from Air Nelson with "Yes" letters.

In Aug there are two being interviewed, as well as Sep.
If this continues, then, you do the figures....

Remember that not all of Air Nelson want to fly jets.

charliemanson
15th Aug 2004, 19:44
Plas Teek....
Good and well maintained toys
Are you referring to the planes or the hosties?? :p

air-hag
15th Aug 2004, 22:14
oh yeah... TWO being interviewed. That'll go a long way to make up for the 16000 outa work since the scragggers had their filthy way with what they COULDN'T AFFORD.

anyway at least a few of the welly-wearers are happy and going somewhere......

:hmm:

going to the big fleet not gonna leave much time for young flossy you know......... :eek:

splatgothebugs
15th Aug 2004, 22:56
I notice that alot of you are still refering to NSN possibly getting 340B's.

It isn't going to happen................think about it they wouldn't have just arranged for new pay conditions if the a/c was going to be the same as the one they already have. They also wouldn't have got a pay rise for an a/c that is basically the same weight.

splat :ok:

Also insteed of complaining about how many they are going to take and how quick, just be thankfull that they are actually hiring ;)

12 months ago the industry was a mill pond.:ok:

ZK-NSJ
16th Aug 2004, 05:03
get a life air hag

romansandal
16th Aug 2004, 19:38
It's true, the industry is on the up at the moment. Just a few years ago, I myself was negative and wondering if I had wasted all that money on an industry that was potentially doomed!

Now i'm like a kid in a candy-store, every second article around is about the growth of the travel/tourism industry, fleet expansions or pilot shortages. Even the new kids coming through now are going to have great success in the next few years, it's awesome.

Regarding NSN, I think they were due for a pay review before the fleet upgrade, regardless of the new type?

What a long and debated topic, it will be good to finally hear the decision!

RS

P.S - Air-hag what's going on man:{ , don't worry even you'll get your turn in one of them big planes one day!

When once you have tasted flight, you will
forever walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been,
and there you will always long to return.
- Leonardo Da Vinci

ZK-NSN
17th Aug 2004, 01:23
If they have to hand out alot of cash to increased crew cost's then that will probably level the playing feilds on the fleet replacement. I think the ATR-42 has the edge but this makes me wonder.

Air-hag - Does that 16000 include the 767 flight engineers?..but wait i didnt think 767's needed flight engineers? I wounder why the "scraggers" could'nt control it or afford it...maybe because the union was running it, may'be it was virgin blue entering the market killing ineffecient airlines? May'be because the 767's got grounded? What ever it was its over, dead, gone..get over it.

BCF Breath
17th Aug 2004, 07:57
Air Hag
It was a wounded dog.
But it died B4 Air NZ could do the decent thing and put a bullet in it.
Unfortunately ANZ was still holding the gun when the Unions came looking.
Gee, held by an AUSSIE!

It was a mistake. ANZ shouldn't have offered the dog a home.

Face reality, it's in the past.
Start looking ahead.

As the TV add says, "Let it go".

David Daskal
17th Aug 2004, 22:01
If one wanted to work for Air New Zealand... does it look good to come up from one of the link airlines?? Or are Origin, Air National, Air Chathams, Vincent, or Airwork perfectably acceptable??

romansandal
18th Aug 2004, 00:21
At the end of the day, it all comes down to your ability to drink piss. Granted, in the past the link boys have been able to knock back a few more bevvies than their other regional counterparts, so have naturally seen more success in Air NZ.

But these days with new fleets etc. Orgin captains and chats pilots alike seem to have been getting through pretty regularly.
So if you've got the right attributes, regardless of your background you'll have a chance.

Actually I even heard they took a few guys that don't drink piss!:yuk:

BCF Breath
18th Aug 2004, 02:19
Actually I even heard they took a few guys that don't drink piss!
WOT!!! As long as they dont wear roman sandles at the bar!!

DD, if you've got the requirements, they don't worry where you come from.
Some of the guys thought the'd have culled all the Origin pilots by now to kill the opposition...

There's lots of gossip at the moment about recruiting / hiring requirements.
And we're talking hundreds over the next half decade. :ok:

incidentreport
21st Aug 2004, 04:54
If they get Dash 8's... I'm guessing it would be the 300 series?? Does anyone know where the nearest Dash sim is??

F111
21st Aug 2004, 10:05
incidentreport,

The nearest -8 sim is in Sydney.

David Daskal
26th Aug 2004, 06:12
Is there still no word on the fleet replacement? I thought there was ment to be an announcement last week... but I still can't see any info and haven't heard anything.

incidentreport
26th Aug 2004, 08:34
Apparently they had a meeting yesterday... (or today) Anyone care to share??

CT7
26th Aug 2004, 09:29
Yeah, depending on who you talk to, it (the meeting) was either last Tues or tomorrow (Fri) with the announcement at the end of the month.

Given the tech problems / hassels that Mt Chook are having with the ATR-72 (even though it brings in the $$), the ladds are after the -300.

Bring it on!

incidentreport
26th Aug 2004, 18:39
CT7...
Maybe ya could post an 'unofficial' official post after they have the meeting?? :ok:
I too have recently heard that the Dash 8-300...... IS on the way!!! That's gotta create some smiles around the place!!!

max rate
26th Aug 2004, 20:22
CT7

What problems?

CT7
26th Aug 2004, 20:51
Well, from the mouths of the guys that fly them, lots of technical issues and apparently a bit of corrosion is sneaking in.

One day two got pulled off the ramp at the same time due U/S.

The pilots also say that they are an accountants aircraft.

Oh, and just 'cause the ladds want something, don't mean they gonna get it.

Artificial Horizon
27th Aug 2004, 16:17
Just out of interest, is the application process for Air Nelson through the same application as for Air New Zealand or is it completely seperate. I currently have 2000 ish hours half of which are on Dash 8 - 2 / 3 / and 400 's so would be interested in applying if indeed Dashers are on the way to Air Nelson.

Cloud Cutter
27th Aug 2004, 20:16
A/H

It's seperate. Give them a call +64 3 547 8700 for an application form, Sandra Bennett is the person to talk to.

BattleSTARGalatica
27th Aug 2004, 22:39
Heard thru an Eagle buddy who I am doing the interviews with that it has been defferred til September. Oh well , if eagle doesnt pan out, can always go to Origin, Chats or airwork:O

Far Canard
28th Aug 2004, 05:14
Any truth to the story that Air Nelson had a GPWS warning and fried two engines on the go-around?

Blue Line
28th Aug 2004, 05:43
Have a search for previous posts

that was bout 2 or 3 months ago in Auckland & yes they did fry two engines

David Daskal
30th Aug 2004, 03:15
Does anybody know the outcome of the said meeting last week?? Have new planes been confirmed?? Just bought a new camera and want to put it inot action... :8

Plas Teek
30th Aug 2004, 05:38
Gossip on the ACARS has it that the new Aircraft will hail from the North American Stables. (Yipee!!)

But, hey, I've been wrong before.

But apparently (the company not wanting to improve the morale of the troops...! and send more Air NZ's way..) the announcement has been put-off until end Sep.

Most likely,so that the GM (& I use that term VERY lightly) can weild some supposed power over the workers.

Pharknose
30th Aug 2004, 18:56
Dash Q 300 is a great aircraft that doesn't break. They will love em.

incidentreport
30th Aug 2004, 19:25
Ah yes...
Bound to put smiles on everyones faces at Air Nelson. Now I want in!!! (Not that I didn't before)
I understand that there is quite a considerable pool of pilots waiting on jobs at the moment... (Both having done and yet to do the grond course) Any idea when all these pilots would be taken on?? One would assume that these Dash 8's (:ok: ) would not be turning up untill mid to late next year????... so guess no employing for a while??

Plas Teek
30th Aug 2004, 19:44
Well they currently have 1 Captain leaving in Oct.
Another Capt as well as 2 F/Os with yes letters.
Another two Capts on the Sep interview and another Capt in Oct (apparently).

I think you'll find things will ramp-up again if/when the new type is announced......

BCF Breath
19th Sep 2004, 08:57
Not to correct the previous post but there are 2 captains (1 a Sim Instr & Chk/Trg) and 1 F/O with OCT starts.

That leaves 1 F/O & 1 Capt with start letters with (apparently) 3 more to be interviewed in Oct.
One of those rumoured to be another Sim Instr/Chk & Trg Capt [& a bloody nice chap to boot]). The others a Line Capt and a F/O.

Gee what's the management up at happy valley ??

All these high placed staff "bangin' out" and a new type supposed to be around the corner... Lots of training involved.... If I had the hot seat I'd be looking for a new job.. B4 I had too !
(And I know YOU read these posts...)

grdproxinop
19th Sep 2004, 10:05
As I have stated in another Air Nelson post.

Expect Air NZ to ask the NZ stock exchange to halt trading of ANZ shares mid week ( wed ) so an announce can be made on Friday or Monday at the latest.

Dash 8-300's with a sim thrown in based in AA.

Plas Teek
19th Sep 2004, 11:09
Further to my previous, I too have heard the gossip.
Including the possibility of an ATR sponsored TRG centre at AKL.

When the aircraft are on the apron, that's when you go all Gaa Gaa. Been here too long.

But I really hope the chaps ( & chapesses) get D-8's,
and a new manager..... :ok:

incidentreport
20th Sep 2004, 20:47
Dash 8-300's with a sim thrown in based in AA
But what about the 6 monthly trip to Australia?? I could imagine this probably would wear a bit thin on those that have been around for a while..... but quite the perk for the newbies!!!!

Don Won
20th Sep 2004, 23:51
Not wanting to put a damper on things but have heard from some top brass that still no desicion has been made and now with the Qantas thing falling over guess that anty helen's airline mite have to just play it safe for a while who knows?
My guess .... Keep the 340A's for the next year or so, if the boyz are lucky 340B's but a new type? not within the next 18months :{

incidentreport
21st Sep 2004, 21:55
a new type? not within the next 18months
Wouldn't think so.... I can't see what this alliance has to do with the Air Nelson fleet replacement. Sure Air New Zealand won't have heaps of spare cash to play with.... but they are doing ok. Air Nelson is making plenty of money.... so I'd say that a small (in comparison) investment into new planes... with increased seating capacity, increasing Air Nelsons profit's more has to be a win win situation.
As for maybe a new type in 18 months... I'd say it would be more likely to get the new fleet now rather later down the track... 18 months is getting close to the 747 replacement deadline... (which I can't remember when that is) and the amount of money they will need around that time... well I can't see them having enough for a fleet replacement then.

NoseGear
22nd Sep 2004, 09:31
Hold your breath boys and girls..... Monday is the day............................:ok:

Unless its changed again:E

Saw in todays paper, my mate Ralphy saying they had a ****e load of cash reserves. Gotta be good news then;)

Nosey

incidentreport
22nd Sep 2004, 20:28
Good news there NoseGear...
It kinda is getting to one of those... 'I'll believe it when I see it' type of situations aye. But if Monday is the day... bound to make everyone happy at Air Nelson.
Think I'll update my CV just incase!!! I heard a rumor that they could be interviewing in October or November. Heard this second (or 20th) hand so again one of those 'I'll believe it when I hear it' situations.
My money is still on the Dash 8 Q300 :ok:

Thump & Go
22nd Sep 2004, 22:00
Go the Dash-8, although Plas teek I expect replacement of the said manager to be much more troublesome and longer term!:E

747 replacement is 8 years away, so one would imagine that'll have no bearing on the time frame.

loose unit
23rd Sep 2004, 18:50
Fleet announcement has been put off for another two weeks - can anyone confirm?

Cloud Cutter
23rd Sep 2004, 18:56
This is getting rediculous.
Are they still in negotiations re the type, or just trying to get rid of more high level crew?:rolleyes:

incidentreport
23rd Sep 2004, 19:23
Makes you wonder if it will ever happen doesn't it. I guess the October ground course will be a no go for now?? And I assume that the October or November interviews will be put off till a later date?? Anyone know anything else??

BCF Breath
23rd Sep 2004, 20:29
Ah, Yes. Too be expected. Oh just wait another few weeks, then the end of next month, then the end of the fin year.

Gee there goes another year with 340A's... And more drivers gone elsewhere.

centurian
23rd Sep 2004, 20:31
The October ground course is going ahead (start 20 Oct), and there is another due near the end of the year or early in 2005.

The second one however is dependant on what happens with the fleet repacement.

incidentreport
24th Sep 2004, 03:42
Does this mean that they will be interviewing again soon for the end of the year / beginning of next course?? Or is there still guys waiting for the ground course?? Anyone know the minimums this time round??

always inverted
24th Sep 2004, 21:23
Spoke to the lady there and she said that there is still the ground course in October and then they will be conducting interviews in November for a course probably in Jan.
Mentioned also that the fleet replacement call was supposed to be yesterday but has been differed for a couple of weeks.

Mins seem to still be 1500 tt, but if need-be they will drop the tt requirement for higher multi if they don't have people with 1500.
ATO time seems to be a thing of the past also as they can get a dispensation from CAA on an individual basis if required.

grdproxinop
6th Oct 2004, 05:46
Monday the 11th is the day. In Nelson at the Air Nelson hangar at 1045am.

Ralph Norris and John Palmer are to announce the fleet replacement.

I am still going with the Dash 8-300.

Cloud Cutter
8th Oct 2004, 02:53
By the way folks, Air Nelson are looking at introducing an Eagle style group interview session (a representative attended a recent Eagle session). I wonder if they are also planning to screan candidates in a shiny new Dash 8 sim?;)

splatgothebugs
8th Oct 2004, 04:21
Its always been stated that eventually all the regionals would head the same way as big brother. It wasn't a matter of IF but WHEN.

Also you might think that because theres a big annoucement being organised that it definatley wont be the SF34 B coming NSN way. :ok:

That should put some smiles on their faces and more money in the pockets;)

splat:ok:

Massey Pro
8th Oct 2004, 17:44
I wonder if they are also planning to screan candidates in a shiny new Dash 8 sim?
Well here at Massey we have a flash flight 2004 simulator all set up... I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a Dash 8 mod for it... it's not an all moving simulator but you can get a classmate to move your seat around to give you some motion. I'm going to ring Air Nelson shortly and will go down to have an interview, think I'll suggest that I could do the sim screening here at Massey... I'll have to have a listen to some sound files cause when doing my training I'm used to making Jet noises... I'm sure that I can make Turbo-prop noises if I work hard on it. So if anyone wants some practice on the sim just drop me a Private Message.

Cloud Cutter
9th Oct 2004, 02:03
Why stop at the sim screening, they should just get massey to retrain all their pilots, then they would have a whole line of Massey Pros.

On a more serious note 56 seats is a big jump, is there still a need for 19 seat aircraft (which seem to be consistantly filled), Or will we expect a similar anouncement in the future for Eagle? Wishfull thinking perhaps?

flyby_kiwi
9th Oct 2004, 04:25
EAG operating a few 340A's crewed by 'tempory' contracts - you heard it here first :ok:

splatgothebugs
9th Oct 2004, 07:32
Wouldn't surprise me flyby.................The Beech is proving to be far to small.

The next five years are going to be very interesting in this country as far as who operates what and where.

splat:ok:

Massey Pro
9th Oct 2004, 07:50
Do Eagle do direct entry commands?? Could suit my carreer plan better than going to Air Nelson if that was the case... A couple of months command turboprop before going to Air New Zealand would be quite good fun I'd imagine.

NoseGear
9th Oct 2004, 09:29
Trust me boys and girls (and Massey pros) its the Dash 8-Q300 on Monday..........................in the know and all that (nudge nudge, wink wink).

Nosey;)