PDA

View Full Version : Oki Printer on Windows XP

stickyb
11th Aug 2004, 06:16
Friend of mine has an old but perfectly serviceable OKI printer - Okipage 4W - running on an old Win95 machine, and asked for help in moving it to a new XP machine.
No drivers in XP, so went to the OKI site and found that they had no drivers for XP, but said that the Windows2000 drivers worked fine.
Downloaded them, installed ok, but when printing the print is faded and streaked, just as if the toner is running out. All the data prints ok, just faded and streaked.
Can anyone help?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Aug 2004, 13:52
stickyb,

Check to see what other printers it emulates. Most of the older printers would emulate more common printers and you might find Drivers that way.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Second option would be to go out and buy a new printer. (They give away Inkjet Printers and make it up on ink sales.)

stickyb
11th Aug 2004, 13:59
Thanks Richard. This one doesn't seem to emulate anything, its an old GDI printer.

And the reason the friend wants to transfer it - She's got an inkjet but is fed up with the cost of cartridges!!!!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Aug 2004, 17:20
stickyb,

Here is the Okipage 4W Driver for WinXP from the Okidata FTP Site:

ftp://ftp2.okidata.com/pub/drivers/led/Op4whyxe.exe

Here is the main page:

Okipage 4w Windows XP Driver (http://my.okidata.com/PP-OKIPAGE4w.nsf?opendatabase)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I thought the old printer was and inkjet, since it is a Laser Printer, we need to get it running. ;)

stickyb
12th Aug 2004, 18:37
Richard, thanks for the info. These are the same as I got from the Oki European site. They are not signed for Winxp, but work, sort of.
After fiddling with the settings I can get a reasonable print by setting it to print as dark as possble, still a bit of patchy fading like low toner.
Anybody know what the printer engine settings such as raw and emf do?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Aug 2004, 19:00
stickyb,

That is the Okipage 4w Windows XP Driver. Not being Digitally signed does not mean anything. I would try the printer on another computer just for testing purposes.

Also if you have another toner cartridge, I would try it too.

Take Care,

Richard

stickyb
12th Aug 2004, 21:06
Richard, thanks for the info.
It was the Oki web site that said they were Win2000 drivers.

Printer works fine when cable moved back to old Win95 machine - no uneveness of toner.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Aug 2004, 21:21
stickyb,

Then try removing the drivers completely and see if WinXP will install Default Drivers for it upon rebooting. If not try the ones I listed. (I know they are the same, but a fresh download might solve the problem.)

Take Care,

Richard

stickyb
12th Aug 2004, 21:26
Richard, No there are no default drivers in XP that will install for that printer.
I did try removing and doing a fresh download from the link you gave me - the same result.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Aug 2004, 21:37
stickyb,

Next option is in the BIOS to change the settings for the Parallel Port. Acceptable settings are AT, Standard, Normal, Bi-Directional, ECP, EPP, SPP, PS/2 or Fast Mode. EPP is preferred, if it is available.

Take Care,

Richard

Spitoon
13th Aug 2004, 19:54
The printer emulates an HP LaserJet IIP - have you tried using the driver for the HP? Win XP comes with a basic driver.

stickyb
13th Aug 2004, 20:03
Thats an interesting piece of information - i will certainly try it.
Thanks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Aug 2004, 16:01
Spitoon,

That is what I was wondering. If it does emulate the LJII then those drivers should work. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard