PDA

View Full Version : Mdr

POL.777
10th Aug 2004, 22:43
As a young inexperienced pilot I am very interested in any MDR or rules of thumb that can assist me when flying. For instance when calculating XWC I learnt a simple rule saying "number of degrees off + 30 equals somewhat the percentage of the given wind as crosswind" (when landing on rwy 18, reported wind 200 degrees 20 kts XWC is 10 kts. and so on...)
Please post a couple of your favourite MDR rules. I hope we can come up with a nice collection and maybe help me and others gain more situational awareness when the workload is high.

Best regards

Notso Fantastic
10th Aug 2004, 22:52
Read this (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136825) and be ready to answer questions. Seems to me that rule of thumb you learnt is a bit rough!
What's a 'Mdr'?

POL.777
10th Aug 2004, 23:21
Thank you Notso F.

MDR: Mental Dead Reckoning.

I know that the rule is a bit rough, you could however use 20 instead of 30 when the wind off is less than 50 degrees - still its safe and a bit conservative... The example I gave was not very good and the result repressents the XWC if the wind was 30 degrees off :ooh: (sin 30 x 20 = 10 kts XWC).

My mistake - sorry.

errare humanum est.

Notso Fantastic
11th Aug 2004, 00:38
All you have to do is memorise the sine table, see? And apply it like in the other thread. The clock idea I have to admit is pretty smart, though slightly less accurate, but this way of yours seems a bit dodgy to me!

POL.777
11th Aug 2004, 09:08
I agree. I will memorise the table.
You know any handy MDR techniques for TOD, ROD, TAS etc.?

POL.777
11th Aug 2004, 21:45
Surely there must be hundreds of good tips/rules of thumb/MDR out there...

:ok:

alexban
12th Aug 2004, 07:44
don't try to learn them all, you'll do a mess eventually. There are only few of some importance.Try to learn those from older guys,or from FCTM's.
As I was once told,it's safer to memorise as little as possible of the nonessential things.Otherwise,in a emergency situation,or under stress you'll be more inclined to make mistakes.
For a great collection of rules of thumb check this http://www.flightinfo.com/rulesofthumb.asp

Try to take only what you need .Don't try to memorise too much,cause you'll end mixing them :)

POL.777
12th Aug 2004, 07:49
Roger that!
Many thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for.