PDA

View Full Version : GPS sytems for flying in Central Africa (DR Congo)

sam white
10th Aug 2004, 22:27
Guys,

Just signed on the dotted line for a job in the DRC flying the Aztec.

I am looking for some advice as to which GPS system has the best database for use in Central Africa, Garmin's coverage seems to be pants, The skymap III seems to be the best, but then I have no local knowledge.

Any one a technical genius??

cheers.

flyboy2
11th Aug 2004, 19:02
I've had recent experience with 3 models of Garmin GPS & all are just fine - either in DRC or the rest of Africa- also good results from older Trimble models.
If you have a up-to-date database [ unusual in Africa ] then that's a huge bonus !
Like having a up-to-date Jeppesen Airway manual.

Better make sure your Aztec has plenty of range as Avgas gets
mighty scarce in all Africa these days.
The DRC is a huge country ,so make sure the Aztec range will get you to the next fuel supply.

Happy landings

12th Aug 2004, 06:24
Am surprised to hear that somebody is operating an Aztec commercially in the DRC. I dont think it has the range to make it from FIH to the eastern border of the DRC.....and then might not get a chance to go back...AVGAS indeed!

Bravo190
12th Aug 2004, 17:22
I have had a good <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> in DRC with Bendix/King KLN 89 & 90's, very reliable in my experience.

Good advice though: a standby GARMIN 3 OR new 296 wont hurt!! My old man has a new 296 and its pretty good bud!

O, seeing that you flying un- pressurized a/c around there ALWAYS study those GRID-MORAS.....especially in NE DRC, Beni, Bunia, Goma etc.

Enjoy the jungle and say hi to Bunia for me:}

Happy Landings:ok:

policepilot
15th Aug 2004, 23:40
Only ever saw 2 piston aircraft in DRC, one in Goma and one in Bukavu. Both near Rwanda, so fuel more reliable. DRC is huge, are you landing on tar runways only, if so range is the prob. The best updates I think are ones drawn up from operators frequenting the DRC. Jepp etc are good, but updates are few and far between. Never had GPS probs. I had a Trimble, not bad. Lodja isn't where they say it is, for eg.
I see you're out of London, so PM me if you want more info. I'm not that far away.

skyfarmer
17th Aug 2004, 15:40
Hi Sam .,

I have just bought myself a Garmin GPS 296 and airfields such as Beni, Kasese etc are in there.

Only problem people like Transair are out of stock of working ones at the moment.

I have had two of them from them so far, and they both were duds, either not switching on regularly, or not charging. Had to send them both back. Still waiting on the replacement!! Hope they hurry up with it

When are you going out there?

Neil

B Sousa
17th Aug 2004, 16:14
Garmin 296 is not just a GPS its also a bit expensive. I just surfed a bit and found the average price here in the states is about R10170 (6/1)(with U.S. database) They have good availability, whats the going price in SA?? Can it accept downloads as the older ones, in which case one could load the African database.......
Garmin as others seem to be a bit proprietary.

skyfarmer
17th Aug 2004, 16:50
Paid about 950 Pounds Sterling for mine, that was without VAT

Carrier
2nd Sep 2004, 08:00
The Aztec you are going to fly will probably have an old panel mounted GPS, quite likely a Garmin GPS 100 Many light aircraft in Africa have one of these as the GPS 100 was one of the first units on the market. I presume that you are looking for a modern handheld moving-map style GPS to serve as a back-up.

Probably the best value in a handheld unit for VFR use or as a back-up for IFR is the Lowrance AirMap 500. Street price is about US$425 plus shipping. Check out the on-line reviews, including those by Avionics West and Flying Magazine’s April 2004 issue. The AirMap 500 is amazingly compact, literally shirt pocket size, but has everything you will need for flying in Central Africa or elsewhere. It is extremely easy to use with a manual that was written by a pilot and so is very easy to read and understand. If you decide to get one, make sure it is the International database (part number 112-26) version, and that it has the latest version of the operating software, which I believe is v1.5.0. You can check this on the Lowrance web site. If you need a reliable mail order source, I have had very good service in the past from Marv Golden Pilot Supplies.

The only handheld GPS with a significant performance or feature advantage over the AirMap 500 is the Garmin GPSMAP 296. This has a TAWS-like display of terrain, which could be a life saver in unfamiliar territory in the dark or IMC. However, the 296 will probably set you back over US$1,500 plus shipping. That is more than three times the price of the AirMap 500 and the 296 is also bigger and heavier. My ideal would be for Lowrance to include a TAWS-like display of terrain in a unit the size of the AirMap 500 and at a similar or only slightly increased price. Until this happens the choice is between something like the AirMap 500 or else the 296.

As always it depends on what you want and how much you are willing or able to pay.

You might also want to take into account product quality, support and customer service. Last year I was seeking information on the various handheld GPS products and wrote to Lowrance and Garmin. I received prompt replies from Dave Steensland and Larry Toering at Lowrance. They answered my queries and unasked even sent two follow ups with attachments showing the airspace and ground map details for the part of Africa where I am based. By contrast Garmin has never responded to my letter of 6 November 2003 addressed to Ted Gartner, despite it being sent three times! I also mentioned in that letter that my previous employer early last year had a Garmin GPS in which the memory battery had failed in less than four years. Surely this alone should have attracted a response. I have to conclude that Garmin has both quality control and customer service problems. Lowrance seems to be right on the ball.

Enjoy your flying. The Aztec is a great plane for Africa and driving one around the DRC and adjoining countries will be a wonderful experience.

Snoop
3rd Sep 2004, 10:57
I use a Garmin 196 yoke mounted. I would recomend it if you don't need terrain freatures.

mupepe
3rd Sep 2004, 15:08
hello!
please do not forget to take your ONC charts along with you too!
GPS is fine but double check tool is better.
I've been flying there year's without GPS and i've seen many smalls twin props buzzing the country like the Partenavia, Piper Apache even small single engine C206 etc..
Take care of you and enjoy the experience ! :ok:
can you say the area you plan to fly ?

Gravox
4th Sep 2004, 03:36
You guys all seem surprised of pistons flying in that neck of the woods. So what sort of aircraft are flying over the Congo?

Are there many jobs to be had in the Congo? Sam how did you get this gig, did you know some one?

cheers

Firefly7
8th Sep 2004, 16:41
Hi Sam

I did some flying there and Know the place quit well, I made up some nots of all of DRC Things have cooled down :ok:
Are you still flying in Goma? There are lost of piston A/C here
If you need help email me I still have the lat's and long's of most of the airfields, I flow there for about 2 years
cheers