PDA

View Full Version : Colour coded file names?

alf5071h
10th Aug 2004, 12:41
I have a large file collection on aviation subjects. I rate the content some higher than others, 5 star, 2 star, etc. Is there a way in annotating files names displayed in MS Windows XP Explorer to indicate their value to me when browsing through folders?

Most files have long names so I don’t wish to add characters at the end; additions at the beginning will upset the alphabetical order. I have used a wide range of folders / sub directories, any more will become unmanageable.

Can file names be colour coded, if so, how?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Aug 2004, 14:39
alf5071h,

I do not know of any color coding system, but you could add just a few characters to the front of the long names. Add numbers to the front. Set your priorities from 0 to 9. Then just add the number to the front of the name and then you will have each priority still listed in alphabetical order. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Flying Duck
10th Aug 2004, 17:55
Of course - if you had a Mac then it would be very straight forward ! You can colour code files and folders in OSX (Panther).

Oh the joys of having a Mac ....

:ok:

safetypee
11th Aug 2004, 07:46
Thanks Richard. Your suggestion gives the equivalent of another folder within an existing folder, but ranking the numerically prioritized file names. Unfortunately this looses the previous alphabetical ordering that is now after the numbers, or have I missed another trick. I require the best of both options, a numerical annotation and alphabetical ranking.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Aug 2004, 14:36
safetypee,

If you put all the ones with Priority 0 you put:

0-

In front of each one with that Priority. Each file with Priority 0 will still fall in alphabetical order within Priority 0. Then you do the same with Priority 1, 2, 3, etc.

Take Care,

Richard

safetypee
11th Aug 2004, 19:34
Yes … , thanks again Richard. But I require the best of all worlds or at least the other way round. I require alphabetical order for all files irrespective of priority as the first requirement, ordering the interest priority is not essential.

I will try D1- and D2- where D matches the first letter of the file name and the number the priority – tedious though.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Aug 2004, 20:38
safetypee,

I hope it works out for you.

Take Care,

Richard

Memetic
13th Aug 2004, 16:55
If what you need to do is sort,categorise and display data perhaps a database is the way to go?

Store all the categoirisation data you like together with a thumbnail image linked to the location of your high resolution image.

Memetic.

Onan the Clumsy
14th Aug 2004, 19:30
Or, if you're running XP, you can split them into two groups and encrypt one of the groups. That'll make 'em turn green.

OR

You could use shortcuts. Keep the original file in the original name so they sort in alphabetical order and then have shortcuts to the files also and either name the shortcuts 0-, 1-, etc or put them in different folders to signify importance.

OtC