PDA

View Full Version : GA around the world

Capt L
10th Aug 2004, 12:12
Just interested in the differences in GA around the world.

I'm working in the Northern Territory, Australia flying a C210.

Here in Oz we seem to have a different image of GA to other places around the traps. While it's true that it's feasible to have a career as a GA pilot with someone such a such as the RFDS, in general it's considered to be a 'stepping stone' on the way the some thing 'better'. In other parts of the world do pilots consider a career in GA as a goal from the start?

Is this fair? I'm interested in everyones views.

Cheers
CL

AIRWAY
17th Aug 2004, 08:49
Hello,

Have to be quick.

As a student pilot at the moment im under no illusion that GA will be the first step for me before even atempting to get into the Airline business.

Regards,
Airway

Will give you my full view later on, i have to go now, sorry to be such a short reply.

TD&H
17th Aug 2004, 09:22
If by GA read BA as in Business Aviation, then:

Certainly in the US a life in BA flying Bizjets is a recognised life and is accepted as such in Europe too. Most people I regularly meet in flying Bizjets in Europe (and when I was doing same in US) are in it for a good long time, not merely as a stepping stone. Indeed Airway many bizjet operators would not be interested in you. Go to a small airline not GA/BA.

Colleagues and friends have stayed in BA all their lives. Its a different life to the airlines, and certainly some airlines (especially with modern day cloned training of their pilots) arn't interested in ex BA pilots.

GA flying as an instructor is a way of building hours though.

Cheers H

604guy
17th Aug 2004, 11:58
Hi Capt L,

As TD&H said in both USA and Canada business (corporate) aviation is very much recognized as a career goal in aviation and is not a stepping-stone. It can be and usually is quite different from airline operations and many would thank goodness for that. :) The remuneration and benefits are often equal to or exceeds in some cases what the airlines offer, the equipment is normally first class and the life style is enjoyable.

I know of several nearby corporate flight departments that have hired drivers away from the airlines over the last 10 years. The last time we had an opening, out of the 44 applications we received, specific to that opening, I recall about 18 being current airline folks.

The current mean average of employment with us is 17.26 years according to the computer, which I guess says something.

Cheers,

PS Should clarify too that when I refer to corporate flight departments I am not referring to charter companies….that is something different again.

AIRWAY
17th Aug 2004, 19:04
Hello,

No, my intention is not to make a career out of GA aviation flying, but simply to get the feeling of a different type of flying before embarking with the airlines. I'd like to do a bit of scenic flying, charter work, flight instructing... And also do some turboprop flying.

:ok: