PDA

View Full Version : Virus/worm removal problem?

Carrier
10th Aug 2004, 08:30
We have a Toshiba 5200 Satellite laptop running Windows XP Home. For the past few weeks it has been plagued with freezes. The only way to unfreeze it is to shut off the power. It seems to be virus related. We do not have our own Internet access. We take our outgoing emails to an Internet cafe on a floppy disk and bring our incoming emails back on the same floppy. Each time the floppy comes back from the Internet cafe it is scanned by AVG Anti-Virus.

We have AVG virus updates to July and occasionally a scan shows VBS/Soraci on a floppy disk. The AVG healing process does not work so it then advises that the whole object should be removed to the Virus Vault. I agree and AVG then indicates that the problem file has been removed to the vault and then deleted but the problems continue. It seems that the AVG is unable to rectify the situation. Sometimes merely inserting a floppy into the drive is enough to cause clicking and a freeze. Other times we are advised that the disk is not formatted properly but on returning to the Internet cafe it can be opened and read by one of their computers. If I try to format the floppy disk I am usually advised that Windows is unable to do this. Occasionally the disk seems to be permanently damaged but with no explanation other than that the disk in Drive A cannot be formatted. Why not? I now have several floppies which the computer is unable to format and are consequently unusable. Sometimes when scanning with AVG, as it shows the files being scanned there is one called desktop.ini. When I look at the contents of the floppy this never shows up. Has the virus changed something on our computer that AVG is unable to rectify? If so, can it be corrected?

I visited www.grisoft.com and did a search of the several sections to see if there is a solution but was unable to find any reference to Soraci. This surprises me as the AVG has knowledge of Soraci and yet their search engine is unable to find it. Naturally, I am wondering what is going on and how can I get our computer to stop freezing and operate reliably?

What is the situation regarding AVG and this VBS/Soraci? Is AVG supposed to be able to eliminate the Soraci and protect our computer? Has someone finally come up with a virus that AVG is unable to counteract? I am wondering why there seems to be no reference on Grisoft’s web site to this situation and a suitable remedy. Have I perhaps overlooked something on their web site? I have three times since 23 July emailed Grisoft for help but there has been no response. I have to wonder why! Is there a technical problem with AVG or is Grisoft unable to react to new problems?

Is there a way to completely eliminate the virus and any possible effects from our computer and restore reliable operation? Can it be done while staying with AVG or should I consider changing to another anti-virus program? Are other anti-virus programs able to cope with this problem? If so and the problem cannot be solved by AVG then which should I change to?

I will appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

spannersatcx
10th Aug 2004, 11:42
I guess you get what you pay for, as AVG is free it may not be the best.

McAfee has the info here

VBS/Soraci (http://uk.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=101049)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Aug 2004, 14:34
Carrier,

It does sound like you have some pests in the computer.

Read the Guide in the thread:

Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117136)

After following the guide, if you still have problems, then download Hijack This! (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk) and post the log file here. Do NOT make any repairs. (Hijack This! pulls up everything, including programs that are supposed to be in your computer.)

Take Care,

Richard