PDA

View Full Version : General Aviation Greece

KitKatPacificuk
9th Aug 2004, 22:49
Hi Guys

I have to fly a single to Mykonos and the shuttle between there and Athens for 3 days during the Olympics.

Anyone had the pleasure, and have you any tips on things to watch out for on the legal and procedures side of things?. Apart from the mountains!!!

Kopeloi
9th Aug 2004, 23:37
I hope that you know what Mykonos is famous for?
Nikolai

KitKatPacificuk
10th Aug 2004, 08:29
Are you talking about the weather or the nightlife?

Kopeloi
10th Aug 2004, 09:18
neither, it is the hot spot of pretty boys.....So watch your back.
Nikolai:p

KitKatPacificuk
10th Aug 2004, 09:20
That what I ment about the nightlife!!!! I've heard!
Wot about the flying side????

Kopeloi
10th Aug 2004, 10:05
You will enjoy! Beautifull islands but can be very windy in Mykonos. However usually northerlies on runway heading.
Have fun!
Nikolai:ok:

Pack2
10th Aug 2004, 12:04
Email me and I will give you some first hand experience of the Greek system. Trust me ..you are going to need it.

JoeCo
10th Aug 2004, 22:01
Was just in there and the weather was fine. Only have a VOR DME to the north bound runway, but the weather has always been fine for us when we have gone in there. Nice island, you have been briefed on the night life, but the airpost is fine. Winds are strong, were blowing 25 kts, but pretty much right down the pipe. Olypic Airways has staff there that can help, but have it set up prior, if required. There is also a handling agent that is contracted through Athens Aviation, he is quite nice but he is only one man and he has indicated how busy he will be during the Olympics, so it will be worth planning ahead. Other then that, the first few hundred meters of 34 are up hill so by your third day you should have it all figured out how to grease one on. Other then that, enjoy the show!!

KitKatPacificuk
11th Aug 2004, 08:13
Thanx Joe, very helpful.

Anyone flown into Athens in a light single? I'll be IFR. The new GA Terminal opened on the 1st Aug. Anyone been there yet?

JoeCo
11th Aug 2004, 09:57
When you say lght single, how light are you talking about? TBM700/PC12 light, or C172/PA-28 light?? Just curious. If you need contact info for the handling company in Mykinos, let me know, I grabbed one of his business cards. Unfortunately we have never needed to use Athens. Sorry, can't help you there.

KitKatPacificuk
11th Aug 2004, 23:37
JoeCo

I'm flying there in an SR22. The number for the Mikonos agent would be great. Have spoken to Athens already, got to arrange slot times and then sort out things with the Agent Olympic Airlines.

Cheers

parajump
13th Aug 2004, 10:28
With reference to the GAT at ATH I was recently there. For normal operations (I mean outside the Olympics) it should suite every ones needs. Comfortable crew and passenger lounges, snacks cold drinks coffees etc on hand. Immigration and security screening all in the same area. Office space to pick up weather etc, over all a major improvement.