PDA

View Full Version : CPL IR/ATPL conversion

Flt Lt Spry
9th Aug 2004, 22:48
I have a mate who wants to work towards his ATPL (just in case!) He is a Qualified Service Pilot (QSP) but not on a multi-pilot aircraft and has about 1000 hours (military) and a current PPL.

What would be the best plan of action as far as getting a CPL +IR/ATPL is concerned?

How about using Enhanced Learning Credits to fund a twin-engined rating module then an IR module?

Or doing the whole lot at a military pilot IR factory (Leeds, Exeter etc) using ELCs/self funding?

Or waiting a bit for the next retention scheme?

Or something completely different?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks

:ok:

BEagle
10th Aug 2004, 05:22
You need - or rather your mate needs - a minimum of 2000 hrs military time before you/he can take advantage of the military accreditation scheme. Confirm the hours are fixed-wing?

2 options:

1. Stay until you/he meets the military accreditation criteria (2000 hrs TT, 1500 as P1 of which 1000 as P1C etc) See LASORS. Then do the FJ bridging package at Bristol.

2. Take the ATPL exams (all 14) and work towards a CPL. Then add the IR.

Don't forget that the idea of the miltary accreditation scheme was as to be a recruiting and retention incentive.....

FFP
10th Aug 2004, 08:12
I know from a few mates that many people are going for option (2) at an early stage in their careers. The 1000hrs P1C can be hard to acheive on some aircraft types for the military accreditation scheme. Not that I think the criteria is too high, but I`d hate to leave it hoping for my 2000hrs and get posted for my last tour to a ground job and miss out on it all.

ELC is great if you managed to register on it in time. Those that didn't are kicking themselves now. 80% of the course fees paid makes the ATPL exams a bit more affordable.

Flt Lt Spry
10th Aug 2004, 13:44
BEags - fixed wing hours, yes (FJ)

2000 hours will take some time to achieve at my current flying rate. Your option 2 seems favourite at the moment as I am not in any rush to gain an ATPL but agree with FFP and I cannot guarantee that I will ever get 2000 hours!

After chatting in the bar last night, I was lead to believe that some PPL exams (or even all 5) count towards CPL/ATPL. Is that not the case?

I have got ELCs and seems a shame not to use them. Of course in 3.5 years they double in value so I may wait until then...

Thanks for your advice.

PS I checked LASORS and it just confused the hell out of me. I'll take another look now I am awake :zzz:

BEagle
10th Aug 2004, 19:15
Not unless you hold a PPL/IR. That's a civil IR; neither a military IR nor a civil IMC Rating count for this purpose.

Sorry.

Piss poor state of affairs if the average mil FJ mate isn't going to make 2000 TT before ORD..... We stopped flying Lightnings and Harrier GR1/3 effing years ago!

Is it really that bad nowadays? You have my sympathy, mate!

Lima Juliet
11th Aug 2004, 21:05
ELC is paying for my grounds at Oxford...tip top! :ok:

LJ

The_Baron
12th Aug 2004, 15:51
BEags you're being a bit unfair to the Lightning - my best year was over 300 hours, and just over 670 on the tour.

A and C
13th Aug 2004, 08:09
The first thing to do is get the ground exams the current buzz in the civil world is that the best places to do this are ATA at coventry , Bristol flight centre or Oxford.

I would then see what the RAF flying clubs have to offer as they have aicraft for hire at well below civilan prices.

www.rafca.org.uk

BEagle
13th Aug 2004, 16:57
We certainly do!!

rotatrim
13th Aug 2004, 21:22
A and C

ATA at Coventry has now gone.

As an aside (and as an outsider - not Mil or ex-Mil myself), prospects for ex-Mil pilots seem to be much better than average, judging from the success of a few I've known. Having said that (1) several of them were ex-AAC rotary and (2) I know one ex-FJ who's been waiting a VERY long time for command on the B747.