PDA

View Full Version : B722 Flap Schedule

MinutemanII
9th Aug 2004, 14:30
Could anyone tell me if the bugs on the airspeed indicator are for the flap schedule on the B722?

I'm assuming they are because the lowest bug seems too high for a calculated V-speed and the highest bug seems too low for manuvering speed.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

con-pilot
10th Aug 2004, 21:55
I assume you are asking about Boeing 727s, particularly the 200 series. If so the airspeed bugs are set for aircraft configuration based on weight and flap settings. The highest airspeed bug would be for 0 flaps, the lowest speed would be set for landing flaps and gear down, or what can be considered V-ref.

As far as I know everybody uses 30 degrees of flaps for flaps landing on the 72. The full or max flaps on the 72 is 40 degrees, however this setting is blocked out by nearly all operators of the 72 for two reasons, first is the fuel consumption on final with 40 degrees of flaps, secondly is for noise abatement.

Because of our type of operations we on occasion would remove the block (it was just a bolt) from the 40-degree setting for short runway operations (4000 ft.). However we were a government operation and we could more or less side step FAA regulations under certain conditions. I have actually stopped the 727 (a 100 series) in less than 2000 feet on landing from the touchdown point, it has great breaks and we were pretty light.