PDA

View Full Version : Sea Harrier/"Alraigo"/1983

BLUE SKY THINKER
9th Aug 2004, 14:22
Excuse me venturing into this forum, but can anyone supply me with a LINK to the much publicised photo of Sea Harrier ZA176 after its emergency landing on the Spanish freighter Alraigo in 1983?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Navaleye
9th Aug 2004, 18:09
I remember it well! Not sure their is one any more, targetlock might have some data on the a/c. The pilot was an ex Sea King pilot called "Soapy" Watson. Basically ne suffered a complete nav failure and ended up about 200 miles from his carrier, lost.

I think he got it down with about 400lbs of juice IIRC. If it had been an AV8B it would have landed OK.
The recovery of the plane, then the bits the spanish nicked took quite some time.

pr00ne
9th Aug 2004, 18:28
Could the Spanish crew have claimed salvage rights under international maritime law?

Navaleye
9th Aug 2004, 18:50
Yes they did and got paid too.. Ransom is a better word.

pr00ne
9th Aug 2004, 21:11
Navaleye,

Then in that case they didn't have to give ANY of it back.

Navaleye
10th Aug 2004, 09:05
That's also true, but HMG wanted its year old fun jet back. I think they got about £250k in salvage. The plane was impounded by the Spanish govt, until we coughed up.

Navaleye
10th Aug 2004, 14:43
The a/c concerned is at Newark air museum. The lovely "Alraigo" still sails today. Here she is: old bucket (http://www.spanishshipping.com/fotos/Alraigo.htm).

I have no idea where Soapy's career went fater that - is he still flying, anyone know?