PDA

View Full Version : Getting a flying job in the U.S.

P51 mustang
9th Aug 2004, 12:22
I HEARD THAT AFTER 9/11 MOST U.S AIRLINES ARE RELUCTANT TO TAKE ON NON-U.S CITIZENS IN THE ROLE OF PILOTS. HOW TRUE IS THIS AS I'M STARTING TO CONSIDER DOING MY ATPL THERE TO CUT COSTS, BUT IT WON'T BE RECOGNISED IN THE E.U.
IS THE JOB MORE ATTRACTIVE IN THE U.S, WHAT'S DEMAND LIKE FOR PILOTS OVER THERE, AND WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF GETTING A JOB AS A PILOT IN THE U.S IF I CHOOSE TO TRAIN THERE? BY THE WAY I'M A BRITISH CITIZEN. WILL THIS HELP ME IN ANY WAY?

WX Man
9th Aug 2004, 18:32
BTW, there's NO NEED TO SHOUT I'M NOT DEAF.

(sorry, pet peeve. LEARN WHERE YOUR CAps lock button is).

Your only hope of getting a job in the US is via a J-1 visa, which you may (or may not) get by filling in the appropriate forms, crossing a flying school's palm with an appropriate amount of silver, and sitting for ages in the US embassy in London.

Even then, you will probably be restricted to instructing (but not necessarily).

Unless, of course, you are from anywhere else in Europe, originally, in which case you might be eligable to apply for the Diversity Visa Immigration Programme (otherwise known as the Green Card Lottery),

Hope this helps... and take all the stuff about CAPS LOck with a pinch of salt but PLEASE DON'T MAKE A HABIT OF IT!!!!! (it's nearly as irritating as people who stand on both sides of the escalator).

P51 mustang
10th Aug 2004, 11:41
Ah, we have something in common WX Man. I can't stand people/couples who stand on both sides of the escalator. Don't you just want to shoot them?!! Even worse are couples who walk down the street hand-in-hand, when clearly there isn't enough space for them to do so! Do they want us to bloody walk in the road or something!!!!!
Sorry about the caps lock. To be honest it was pure lazyness. :\