PDA

View Full Version : Internship Interview

stewpot007
9th Aug 2004, 09:39
Dear All,

I applied for an internship opportunity http://www.digital-reality.co.uk/acf/ (brief outline below)

"Angel City Flyers Ltd in conjunction with Enstone Flying Club, Oxfordshire is offering a unique approach to professional flight training. We will bring two candidates from zero hours to 1500 hours total time with JAR ATPL(f), FAA CPL/Multi IR with flight instructor, instrument flight instructor and multi engine instructor ratings. "

“The course begins with the candidates completing a JAR PPL in Enstone Oxfordshire. This provides the intern with first hand knowledge of the flying environment to which they will return and their future students will operate in.
This is followed by a move to southern California where they attain their US instrument, commercial and instructor ratings. From this point, they begin a paid internship with Angel City Flyers Inc. Los Angeles. As the program progresses, the intern will specialize in IFR and multi-engine instruction while beginning the conversion to JAR commercial licences.
On completion of their FAA ATP, the interns return to the UK to take the ATPL theoretical knowledge exams and convert their FAA ATP to a JAR (f)ATPL.”"

I have been selected for an interview, which will take place shortly, any ideas on what they might ask or any questions I should definatly ask.
In addition all though they are interviewing me do you think it would come across as arrogant if I question them as it involves payment virtually upfront? - £29K split over 3 payments but all paid up after the ppl before going to USA

I think this is a good opportunity but at this stage would it be a good idea if I start waffling on about escrow accounts, contract terms (i.e fixed fuel cost due to rising fuel prices), extra training rates, etc.

I am rather excited about this but would value your opinions as always.:ok:

squirrel cage tacho
9th Aug 2004, 10:31
Be afraid, be very afraid.

If you can stand to lose £87K then fell free to gamble it. There is many a pilot who has fronted with that sort of money thinking it will be ok and then they dont know why the company goes bust and loses it. THIS HAPPENS ALL OVER THE WORLD AND THERE IS USUALLY ONLY ONE TYPE OF PEOPLE THAT BARE THE BRUNT. YOU, THE TRAINEE PILOT!!!

" from zero hours to 1500 hours total time with JAR ATPL(f), FAA CPL/Multi IR with flight instructor, instrument flight instructor and multi engine instructor ratings. "

If you want to be a flight instructor then this might be ok but you can get all those ratings for far less and in the time it takes to get them all you will be probably have 1500 hours anyway.

My advice.... do your homework on the company and do the sums as to all the different options out there. If its the best option for you then go for it. In my opinion, you could do alot better than what they are offering.

For those of you about to slate me, this is not a slur on the company, I have no idea about the moral and financial standing of this company and for all i know they could be a prefectly reputable company with an excellent scheme to offer.

Final Words... Good Luck, you will need it!

dickon
9th Aug 2004, 21:03
I have just come back from a month with Angel City Flyers so I know them well.

The company is amazingly well organised and I can assure there is no chance of being ripped off. Infact I did my course under the quoted amount!

I did not do the internship idea but did my CFI, CFII and MEI and heard about the Internship thing and think also that it sounds like an amazing way to do it and wish the opportunity had been given to me at the right stage in training.

As far as I know, you can also leave if you think it is not actually the right thing to do and at very little loss and of course you still have the training.

The idea of instruction to get the 1500 hrs is so that the applicant can earn money on his/her way to finallising all the exams, unlike most internships where the student must work free even though he/she is by then a commercial pilot.

Thats what I think anyway, an amazing opportunity and the best of luck to you!!

And hey what a place to live in the meantime! :ok:

D

stewpot007
10th Aug 2004, 08:37
Thanks for the replies team I think I'll approach this one with an open mind and see what they are offering, after all i can get all they are offering done in the UK for around the same cost and less time, considering i am 28 later this year a 27 month training course might be too long.

S