PDA

View Full Version : Computer keeps "re-booting"

GARDENER
8th Aug 2004, 18:09
Firstly can I ask that any answers are in "simple" form. Be gentle with me this is my first build!
Problem is:
Computer fires up gets to a screen where it apologizes and gives me a few options which are as follows.

Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompts
Last known config
Start windows normally

I can try any of the above but the outcome is the same....quick flash of a blue screen and then it restarts.

The system:
Motherboard: ASRock K7S8XE
Processor: AMD Athlon 2500+
Memory: 1 stick PC3200 512mb
Graphics card: 128mb MX4000 XFX
Windows XP pro

Any other info required please ask. Any ideas would be most appreciated. If you would like any of the components listed the PC will be exiting the upstairs window of my home at approximately 2300hrs descending rapidly .....the address is 15 The Square......Thanks

Saab Dastard
8th Aug 2004, 18:25
When you say this is your first build, do you mean that you have assembled the PC yourself?

If so, how well did you research compatability of graphics card with mobo? Check mobo & video manfr. wesites for any compatability problems. Check if there are any drivers or BIOS upgrades available and install them.

Are you overclocking?

Have you disabled on-board graphics (if any) in BIOS if you are using an add-on video card?

It does sound like a video card problem - where did you get the drivers for it? Ensure they are correct and up to date

Have you tried re-installing the operating system from CD - if you have no data or applications, re-format and re-install.

Note all the BIOS settings and trying re-setting to factory defaults.

If you have another video card (or on-board graphics) try running that.

SD

Oh yes, can I have the memory and video card when you chuck em out the window? ;)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Aug 2004, 20:15
GARDENER,

I am going to take a wild guess here. You are using the Hard Drive from your old computer and you put it into this one (using the old WinXP OS that was on your old computer).

WinXP does not like that many changes to the hardware. You need to do a Repair with the WinXP CD. If that does not work, you can do a fresh install of WinXP on top of itself. (That way you do not lose any of the Data on the Hard Drive, other than the Data in the Windows Directory.

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
9th Aug 2004, 08:58
Thanks for the replies.
SAAB DASTARD
Yes assembled all by myself....wish I had gone to PC World!
I got the components from a friend of a friend who had apparently checked compatibility out. I did however check before buying as a crosscheck after learning in MCC not to trust the other guy! I have the driver disk but how do I run this as the PC keeps resetting?
Not overclocking and the onboard is disabled. Again regarding reinstalling the OS how do I achieve this with the limited ops of my PC. You can have my "bits".....how about a swap for your flying job?!!
Richard
Again I am unsure how to run an install of the OS. Good guess, using the old HDD..I am poor!
Thanks again for your help.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Aug 2004, 13:43
GARDENER,

In your BIOS set the CD Drive to boot before the Hard Drive. Put your WinXP CD in the CD Drive and turn the computer on. When the it says "Press enter to boot from CD", do so. You do not want to use Recovery Console. (When that option comes up, it ENTER to keep WinXP installing.) Then the CD will look for previous installations of WinXP. When it finds it, you will have to option to it "R" to do a Repair. (Do not get confused with Recovery Console which also tells you to hit "R" in the previous screen to the one you want.)

Then you hit F8 when you access to the M$ Licence, after that you enter your CD-Key, and the Repair will go from there.

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
10th Aug 2004, 13:53
Richard,
Thanks it is loading as I type. Next post I make will maybe be from my desktop rather than the laptop! I will keep you updated.
Once again thanks.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Aug 2004, 14:43
GARDENER,

Always glad to help. Fingers are crossed. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
11th Aug 2004, 12:14
Loaded fine but am stuck with the activation as I cannot find the code/ product key. When I phoned the "helpline" they told me to put a new product key in but I cannot find it. Time to look in all the cupboards. I expect when I find it all will be well!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Aug 2004, 14:40
GARDENER,

Unfortunately the Product Key is something I cannot help you with. It should be on the WinXP Cd's Jewel Case.

Take Care,

Richard

rustle
11th Aug 2004, 15:26
In the UK they have a delightful habit of sticking the product-key sticker in the most inaccessible place you can imagine. Under a laptop :rolleyes: , on the side of a tower case :rolleyes:

Have a look at the original hardware cases - it is bound to be stuck on there and impossible to remove.

GARDENER
17th Aug 2004, 14:19
Ok so I now have a desktop that works...whooooo!! I will not go into how I "side stepped" M$ and their annoying activation line as that is another story. Two questions I now have a series of vertical lines made up of small dots on my screen. As I type they are not too noticeable (can see a few on the taskbar) but are very visible when the XP pro screen is on during "engine start"! Any ideas?
Question two is regarding a wireless network for my home...small home until I get a flying job then we will move into a smaller one. Tight git! I have broadband and wish to connect the router to my desktop and have a wireless card for the laptop. Does the desktop have to be on all the time to use the signal?
Thanks for your help to date.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Aug 2004, 15:03
GARDENER,

As for a wireless router, no specific computer needs to be turned on in order to be online. With the Desktop, you just plug into the Router with a Cat5e Cable and the Notebook will use the Wireless Card.

As for the lines, first get the latest Mobo drivers from the SiS 748 Mobo Driver Download (http://download.sis.com/) or from the ASRock K7S8XE / K7S8XE R3.0 Driver Site (http://www.asrock.com/support/Download/dl_k7s8xe.htm)

Then update the Vid Card to the latest nVidia ForceWare Drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
17th Aug 2004, 16:16
Working like a dream....probably get stolen now! Once again thanks for your help.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Aug 2004, 16:50
GARDENER,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
19th Aug 2004, 08:19
Noooooo! Started my computer this morning to find the dots on the screen again. XP has not informed me of any hardware changes etc....maybe forgot! I have gone through the process again to no avail. I had restarted my PC when it was working fine on a couple of occasions yesterday to see if it would be OK and it was, as stated, this morning it is a different kettle of fish. Bloody gremlins!
Sincerely,
Spotty (screen)
Edited to add:
Been out all day, came back started it up and the dots have gone!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Aug 2004, 15:51
GARDENER,

Try removing the side of the case and pointing a room fan right onto the comp, direct the fan right at the Vid Card.

I am wondering if this is heat related.

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
20th Aug 2004, 20:48
Richard,
I tried that today but the fault ocurred straight after starting up. Later in the day after the pc had been on a few hours I turned it off then back on and the dots dissappeared! I have since restored the system and reloaded the drivers so everything seems OK at the moment....we will see! I also today set up a wireless network in my home so that I can take my laptop out on the green on a lovely summers day....whenever that will be! Two issues being that the email does not now work on my desktop which is where the router is connected (d-link G604T) I have checked the settings and they appear to be correct. I keep getting a command to enter my username and password which I have checked and is correct. Email works fine on my laptop. Some sites seem very slow to connect to as well and this was not the case previously. PPrune is fine! Also I am unable to put my firewall on on the laptop as when I do I am unable to use wireless.
Edited to add:
I have solved the email problem.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Aug 2004, 02:21
GARDENER,

The DSL-G604T already has a Firewall built in, so you do not need a second one on your Notebook. You should be fine without it.

As for the dots, try swapping vid cards with another comp and see if the problem stays with the comp or follows the Vid Card.

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
21st Aug 2004, 12:29
I will try that Richard. Incidentally when started today the dots reappeared, restarted they were still there then restarted again...gone! Intermittent is the word for today. Any ideas why I am unable to get on to some sites that I was previously able to get on. For example MSN when I click to register/enter password the bar at the bottom of the screen goes so far and then eventually I get the page telling me to refresh or detect network settings etc.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Aug 2004, 18:20
GARDENER,

Depending on what happens when you swap the cards we might want to try a fresh install.

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
28th Aug 2004, 15:54
The "dots" are still being a nuisance. I took the graphics card back to the supplier. They tested it on two PC's and found no problems. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it it with updated drivers etc. Thought it may be my monitor but the monitor works fine through my laptop. The problem is intermittent as on start this morning it was fine but this afternoon it is now problematic! Any more ideas?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Aug 2004, 16:11
GARDENER,

Try a fresh install of your OS, followed by your Mobo Drivers and then the rest of your Hardware Drivers.

If that does not solve the problem, then it is your Mobo. (I wish you would have tried another Vid Card in your comp to see if you had the same problem or not.)

Take Care,

Richard