PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in 2007/2008??

fhchiang
8th Aug 2004, 14:06
hello...

if everything goes according to plan..

i should obtain my frozen ATPL by 2007/2008......

by this time.. can anyone predict about the job opputunities there?

i see in AUS.. turboprop requires 1000 hours too....

if so.. how can i even accumulate enough hours and get into the JETs family

drshmoo
8th Aug 2004, 14:38
Dear sir, perhaps you might need a few more than 1000 hours for a jet job. Maybe you should look at doing a cadetship with one of the asian carriers like Singapore or Cathay. Forget 1000 hours you can be at the front of a nicely painted lear45 with about 200+ hours then track direct Boeing no further requirement in GA.
My forecast for Job oportunities in 2007/2008 is that yes there will be jobs but you will need far more than a measely 1000 hours and have a work visa for Australia. IMHO. Good luck

fhchiang
8th Aug 2004, 14:47
wait.. 200+ hours for lear..

which outfit?

private owned?

neville_nobody
8th Aug 2004, 23:36
Be aware that the ATPL requirements will change next year so that in Oz you will have to do a flight test in a high performance machine so forget getting a rubber stamp job. The frozen ATPL could quite possibly been gone by 2007 as it may go the same way as the US where you have to log the hours before you can even attempt the thing.

1000 hours in australia may get you a start in a decent GA operator if there is such a thing!! Turboprop jobs you will need to be in the vincinty of 2000 hours TT with 500-1000 multi or turbine already. In reality you'll be looking at 3000-5000 hours to get into a regional. Companies post minimums, very rarely though do they hire people with the minimums.

As for job forecasting noone knows what's happening tomorrow let alone 2008. Have a look back to the year 2000 do you reckon that you would have predicted in the middle of a recruitment bonanza that:

Sars would cripple international airlines
September 11 and terror stuff
Ansett go broke
Jetstar
Virgin becomes a major player
Everyone wants LCC
Airbus will build a A380
and so it goes on

Aviation is very unstable just take each take as it comes and forget worrying about what's going to happen in 4 years time because noone will know.

NZLeardriver
8th Aug 2004, 23:54
When are the ATPL requirements changing?
Will it affect conversions?

drshmoo
9th Aug 2004, 00:19
Dear Mr fhchiang I refer to doin a cadetship with the Sing/Cathay, they go from light twins to lears then onto Boeings.

neville_nobody
9th Aug 2004, 02:29
Sometime in the first quarter of next year the OZ ATPL will change to 7 tests plus a flight test in an aircraft with a specific climb gradient. Can't remember what the gradient minimum was but it wipes out anything piston. I'll try and hunt down the draft paper on the new ATPL as I read it a while ago. So if you are stuffing around with ATPL theory I'd say do it sooner rather than later. All this will come in with the new regs next year. I would assume that to do a conversion you will have to do the flight test but not 100% on that one.

bypasspin
9th Aug 2004, 02:31
Dear fhchiang,

If your lucky like DrShmoo and have your 1000's of hours you might find yourself in the right hand side of a pa31 logging co-pilot time!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that sounds like fun?????????

:p

Hydrolix
9th Aug 2004, 02:51
drshmoo, the Cathay Cadets do not go onto the Lear with 200 hours, they do go straight to a Boeing but only as a cruise pilot with a zero flight time conversion. Lear comes at the start of the command upgrade.

drshmoo
9th Aug 2004, 05:33
Cheers Hydrolix I didn't know that.

bypasspin- mate I sure was in the right hand seat but, I for some time now have been in the left. Hope that clears it up for you, but I always appreciate a good sledge. Just out of interest what sort of gear are you flying?

lexusjonson
9th Aug 2004, 07:57
I do believe that bypassin has logged many hours on high performance equipment such as desks and baggage trolleys

fhchiang
9th Aug 2004, 08:59
yes...

initially i was planning to try out the SIA cadetship...

but.. thining.. if from Applying to Interview would take probably.. 6 months - 1 year....

woudn't this waste valuable time?

1 year probably.. can log at least 500 hour

whykillamoocow
9th Aug 2004, 10:59
Look mate until you get your visa approved the only hours you will be logging will be spent paddeling in an indo fishing boat heading for ashmore reef

flametree
9th Aug 2004, 12:23
And with a narrow minded reply like that whykillamoocow in 2007/08 you will still be playing behind a computor wishing you were somewhere.

Keep the replies constructive!

bypasspin
10th Aug 2004, 05:46
lexusjonson,

How did you know that? I love my trolley and wouldn't give it up for anything:ok:
It's a flash one though, got a wireless and two jets eeh.

:p

Angle of Attack
14th Aug 2004, 10:43
Well the way its going if your with Singair Cadets it might be soon from C172's straight to a lear!! Why bother flying lighties? They should just put these ba$tards in sims from day one, they won't be any worse than they are now! And before anyone starts trying to shoot me down, I do know and have a connection with the cadets.......and it doesnt make them any better!

drshmoo
15th Aug 2004, 01:01
From a reliable source from singair I'm told that they have the highest incident rate that is non jet related in australia, sending them straight onto a sim might a good idea! :}