PDA

View Full Version : Audio problem Logitech QuickCam Messenger

Check 6
8th Aug 2004, 12:58
I am unable to get audio to work using a Logitech QuickCam Messenger camera/microphone. Using Windows XP-pro and ADSL connection. Video works as expected.

Software is Messenger 6.2.

Same hardware and connection on the other end, but still no audio, only video.

I have read Microsoft's help site, but no luck there. Firewall does not seem to be the problem unless Norton Internet Security and/or XP firewall are inhibiting the audio.

Any other ideas out there? Thank you in advance,

Check 6

Check 6
8th Aug 2004, 14:29
TCS, no, but I forgot to mention, both microphones test OK.

Thanks, Check 6

amanoffewwords
8th Aug 2004, 14:37
If the microphones are testing ok is it possible that you have wav/mp3 set to mute (in the volume control panel)?

Charles

Check 6
8th Aug 2004, 14:43
Charles, just checked, but nothing muted.

Thanks,

Check 6

amanoffewwords
10th Aug 2004, 12:05
Did you manage to fix this Check 6?

I just installed a webcam on my PC (win 2K, sp4) - both my Dad (win xp. sp1) and my brother-in-law (win xp. sp1) bought the same camera too.

Using MSN messenger we can send a webcam image to each other but we can't get audio to work - it keeps on saying that it is connecting but nothing happens thereafter. Basically same problem as yours.

I've searched Google high and low but can't find a definite answer.

Check 6
10th Aug 2004, 12:53
AMOFW, no, I have not found a solution yet. It appears that we both have the same problem.

There is a fix out there someplace, we just have to find it.

Check 6

:hmm:

amanoffewwords
10th Aug 2004, 14:05
I'm going along with this comment I found on cnet - it's on the Yahoo Messenger download page:

"If you are just looking for a audio video communication tool, this si the best. MSN 6.2 is now having audio problems for those who use firewalls and router and MSN help unnecessarily recommends opening thousands of UDP port to enable audio, which I feel is totally unnecessary. If you go with Yahoo Messenger you wont need to fiddle around with your router and firewall setting and besides Yahoo Messenger has audio video conferencing capabilities which means you can talk to all your friends and relatives world wide in real time and see them as well, depending on how much ram and CPU you have. "

source (http://www.download.com/3302-2150_4-10291335.html?pn=1&fb=1)

I'm going to try Yahoo messenger l8r on today.

In the interim I tried MSN messenger over the two PCs I have at home (linked together by wifi) and both video and audio worked ok. One machine is win2k and one is win98 - both with MSN messenger 6.2. It does still have to go over the Internet but I guess the internal network facilitates the transmission of data somewhere.

Fingers crossed for Yahoo messenger - I'dl love it to work, it's a great facility..

amanoffewwords
15th Aug 2004, 18:13
Come to the conclusion that audio doesn't work on Yahoo 'cause their servers are overloaded, MSN 'cause they complicate life too much [and their servers are probably overloaded too) and is just about ok with Skype 'cause no-one has heard of them.

Back to Mr Bell I guess. Video is cool though!

Lost_luggage34
16th Aug 2004, 00:02
I regularly use audio and video on Yahoo Messenger with general success.

Admittedly I don't use a combined video/audio cam - seperate Webcam and Mic into a soundcard.

One thing I have found is that you absolutely have to implicitly allow the Yahoo voice servers through any firewall.

I have a list of their current voice servers if you want to give it a go - there are about a dozen.

Cheers

LL34

amanoffewwords
16th Aug 2004, 07:06
Thanks LL_34,

I did try it with the firewall switched off - same difference it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I did come across the list of servers but, I must admit, was too lazy to enter them. :zzz:

I also tried an external mic, safe effect.

Maybe I'll have another go when I come back from hols in a couple weeks time.

Cheers
Charles