PDA

View Full Version : Pilots and listening devices

B767PL
8th Aug 2004, 05:05
As I was listening to a good song, and looking at a picture of a flight deck at night, I wondered how good it would be to be there listening to that song.

Maybe a stupid question but I have searched and not found anything discussing this.

Are Pilots (1 at a time) allowed to put on a walkman, discman on during flight?? Im guessing the answer is no, but I was just pondering the idea.. :8

typhoonpilot
8th Aug 2004, 06:30
I've flown piston singles with built-in stereo systems. They would automatically cut-out when ATC was transmitting. It was very cool to fly that airplane with the tunes going. Later at the regional I worked for we would tune in the AM radio stations and listen to those on occasion. I have heard of guys on the longer transcons plugging external speakers on their walkmans and listening to some tunes. I wouldn't do it for fear of missing a radio transmission from ATC.

TP

Ex Oggie
8th Aug 2004, 13:15
It's been known (allegedly!! I wasn't there Boss, honest!) to have a game of Pop Quiz over the radio, somewhere over the North Sea whilst waiting for AAR. :E

ExO

B767PL
10th Aug 2004, 03:07
I think that if its quiet enough that you can hear ATC, and is listened to during the more idle portions of the flight, it is pretty harmless, no? I wonder how it is with airlines, and if there are any who allow anything of this kind to the flying pilots.

TopBunk
10th Aug 2004, 06:28
B767PL
Im guessing the answer is no, but I was just pondering the idea..

You guess right. Nuff said.

Notso Fantastic
10th Aug 2004, 13:18
I think we can do without opinions from non-pilots thank you!
If you want to listen to music, with passengers under your care and flying at up to 600mph, you would be better going into the pop industry. When you fly an aeroplane, you give it, and the passengers, your full attention. This is one of the top daftest threads I have ever seen in pprune. Let it die now.

B767PL
10th Aug 2004, 17:08
I was thinking more along the lines of recreational flying, and asking if it has been done, or been heard of with any airline. Nothing more, nothing less.:) But I have my answer, so it can "die now".

Notso Fantastic
10th Aug 2004, 18:36
I think that is the best fate for it! Flying anything is not some 'music trip' or psychedelic experience to be enjoyed with U2 blasting your brains out- it is something that can kill you and many others in the blink of an eye. Treat it like a professional. You can listen to music all you like, at the right time.

redadair
10th Aug 2004, 18:56
Well said NSF

End of thread.

Smokie
10th Aug 2004, 19:15
Well it certainly goes on in our Airline.

Nuff said!!

Smokie
12th Aug 2004, 20:45
The "non standard" ADF frequencey that is still dialed up on hand over, is normally the give away .:(

Duckbutt
14th Aug 2004, 10:42
Slightly off topic I suppose (comes of being a non aviation groupie Lord NSF), have a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/3562860.stm

JamesT73J
14th Aug 2004, 10:56
On a related note, I remember one Saturday learning circuits in a C150 at Sherburn-In-Elmet picking up an Asian radio station around about the base leg. Quite a surreal experience hearing bhangra in my ears whilst I was trying to keep ahead of everything.

I only heard it on that one occasion, although my instructor said it happened every so often.

Jinkster
14th Aug 2004, 12:54
I bet it would be great listening to Busted - Air Hostess or Bob Marley - Jammin' en-route to the Caribbean

:D