PDA

View Full Version : Air Atlanta (Travel City) into SFB 23rd July

Stress Relief
7th Aug 2004, 16:03
I've just returned from my hols in Orlando. We travelled with Air Atlanta from MAN flight EUK 134, which was great , no complaints. What I did feel may have been somewhat unusual was the approach into SFB. I'm not sure which was the active on that day, but sitting on the port side of the aircraft i saw the airfield out of the window to my left, and was expecting a somewhat longer downwind leg than that which we made. A very sharp left turn followed by an even steeper desecnding turn to line up/establish. It all seem very rushed, and after a short steep approach we landed, and used the full lenght of runway with what I suspected was max braking.

Btw wx was good , dry with good viz.

I realise that there could be many reasons, but is this the standard app into SFB.

Not complaining at all , merely curious.

TRISTARLOVER
7th Aug 2004, 21:16
Flown into SFB as a pax on the European 747's twice in the past ,
the approach was much the same.

Travelling on the Air Atlanta 747 to SFB in October so I guess it
will be the same.

Interestingly our landings were exactly as described , and used
a frighteningly long landing distance and take off run !!.

Ah well must be something to do with the geriatric 200 series ,
the temperatures/loads and I guess bulk of air traffic in the region which requires tight approachs.

Roll on october , spotting in Florida again !!

WHBM
8th Aug 2004, 20:15
It's the US style of flying. American Airlines 777s going into Miami will do the same thing if they're on easterlies and there's no other traffic on approach. Looking down on Miami's three runways as you make the tight left hand turn it's always interesting to guess which one is going to be used.