PDA

View Full Version : Lost Windows XP Icons

Jet A1
7th Aug 2004, 08:41
After having a clean out of old software etc I have managed to lose some of the original ones. Anyone got any ideas on how to recover them or any sites I can replace them with.

Thanks a lot

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Aug 2004, 18:07
Jet A1,

Please be a little more specific. The amount of information you gave amounts to a question in aviation terms like this:

"My friend has a problem with his airplane. The plane has a propeller on it. What do you think is wrong with it?"

Take Care,

Richard

Jet A1
7th Aug 2004, 19:28
The pictures for the icons eg Internet Explorer have gone but the icon still remains...

That any clearer

Thank goodness I fly the Airbus much easier !

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Aug 2004, 00:11
Jet A1,

Not really.

What software did you remove?

Is this XP home or XP Pro?

Where the Icons on your Desktop, Start Menu or All Programs Menu?

Exactly which Icons are in question? Where they all just related to Internet Explorer or are there others?

Did you right click on them, go to Properties to see if the Icon was there? Did you try from within Properties to click on Change Icon?

I just need something to go on, so I do not have to get out my trusty old dart board.

Take Care,

Richard

Jet A1
8th Aug 2004, 08:05
XP Pro

I remove StyleXP recently which has caused this.

Icons pics related to notepad, IE, Outloook, and a few more

Have tried to check the properties to replace them, it has not worked..

ORAC
8th Aug 2004, 08:56
Download TweakUI (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx), it will install under "Powertoys for Windows XP" (Start - All Programs.) Run it and select - Repair - Rebuild Icons and click "Repair Now".

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Aug 2004, 15:06
Jet A1,

From what I can tell, StyleXP is a Shell Theme. When you removed it, WinXP did not know what to associate the Icons with.

As ORAC mentioned, TweakUI should repair the icons for you.

With any Theme, you need to change to another theme before removing the one you are currently from your system. That would have kept the Icons.

Take Care,

Richard

Jet A1
9th Aug 2004, 10:17
Cheers !

Seems to have sorted it !

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Aug 2004, 13:45
Jet A1,

Glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard