PDA

View Full Version : Without a Greencard, should i choose US?

Tiffany
6th Aug 2004, 19:33
Hi there!

i am thinking to choose a country to step for the career of commerical pilot. Should i choose US to learn to fly if i am not a citizen?

Cheers
Tiff

FWA NATCA
7th Aug 2004, 03:27
Choosing to talke pilot training within the US should first depend upon whether you can obtain the required Visa's. Compared to some countries training here can be less expensive, but you should weigh all your options then make the decision.

If you decide to train in the US then also post a message within the General Aviation or is it Private Pilot conference asking for a recommendation for flight schools.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Tiffany
7th Aug 2004, 07:41
Hi Everyone=)

thanks so much Mike , indeed i'm kinda headache on where to go.. seems to me that where i train will end up if i can get some flying experience / jobs afterward...

I've overheard that if i get J1 Visa that can help me 2 get 2 years 2 work/ fly without getting paid in the States after i finish training, is that true?

Tiff

FWA NATCA
8th Aug 2004, 01:29
Tiffany,

I'm not a pilot, I'm a air traffic controller, which in my opinion is the better job because I have a regular pay check, and I'm home every night.

The pilot job market from what some of my friends tell me is pretty tough to break into, unless you are willing to work for almost minimum wage. I know commuter pilots that just to make ends meet that four to six pilots live in one apartment (granted only two or three may be home at a time), all hoping to break into the majors one day and start earning those mega paychecks.

Read the financial papers, a lot of airlines are asking their pilots, flight attendants, and ground personnel, and asking for huge wage concessions (pay cuts), or benefits reductions, so just how secure is their jobs?

Mike
NATCA FWA

weasil
12th Aug 2004, 02:08
A J-1 should permit you to work as an instructor for a year or two depending on how long your flight training takes. You do not have to work for free.. you can get a paying job so long as it's a good flight school.

boeingrox
20th Aug 2004, 20:28
Tiffany,
I'm currently at a Flight School in Florida on a J-1 Visa. I will study for 1 year and instruct for 1 year...and get paid for the work at $15usd/hour plus medical and dental benefits and reduced on-campus housing costs.

For all details on the J-1 Visa I would recommend calling the Hong Kong Airport general information line and asking them to put you through to a US Customs/immigration Agent with whom you can discuss the J-1. Or call the US Embassy in Hong Kong for more details. I'm not from Hong Kong so the procedure could be different. Most likely you will have to be accepted by the school (easy), and bring the DS-2019 form along with your passport, diploma/degree, proof of financials, and go to an interview at the US Embassy in HK and then if all goes well you are cleared to go to the airport and get your visa while going through US Customs the day of your departure. No cost. You might be subjected to a 2-year home residency requirment if the US governement, HK govenrment or airline is subsidizing you. Ask about this.

Good luck.
Boeing Rox

marpoo
25th Aug 2004, 12:29
hey boeing,
where are you training on your J1 visa. would be interested to know more about your school and the program. any website i can visit.

thanks

matt

taluft
14th Sep 2004, 19:03
Marpoo,
I'll be going to FlightSafety Academy in November or December of this year on an M-1 visa. Go to www.flightsafetyacademy.com and check it out. Great place!! Second to none!! I would highly recommend that you take a visit....Oz is a long way from Florida but they will apply up to $500us from your flight towards the tuition. Once you see it in person you will be VERY, VERY impressed. At least request the brochure. Call 1-800-800-1411.

They have a J-1 visa program as well. You do your licences and ratings (PPL-CPL-ME-IFR-CFI-CFII) in a year and work for a year as an Instructor Pilot. 100 plane fleet of which 30 are multi-engine senecas/seminoles. 2 fuel trucks. On campus accomodations that is reasonably priced ($12/night shared to $22/night single in US dollars of course). Hurricanes...another story. Very professional environment. Very structured program.

Hope this helps.
T