PDA

View Full Version : accomodation question(oxford)

geraldn
6th Aug 2004, 17:49
i am hoping of doing my full-time res. atpl ground school at OAT.i was wondering if anyone who has been to OAT can give any advice regarding accomodation in the area.example whether it is better to stay full board on site or find a local B&B.i know that it all boils down to the individual but any feedback would be appreciated.
cheers

er82
6th Aug 2004, 18:21
If you're doing the ab-initio course which lasts 60(?) weeks, best thing to do is stay on-site for the first few weeks, get to know others on your course, then find a house to share in either Kidlington or Woodstock. Much cheaper and nicer. Other little villages around, but don't go too far away.

jollypilot
6th Aug 2004, 18:22
If you are thinking of full-time then the ideal is to get rented accomodation with other guys from your course - leases from as short a period of time as six months. Cheapest, and most fun way to do it. Means probably when you first get there you wont have that sorted.

In that scenario may I suggest lodging - a sheet available from OAT has a list of people in the local area - I would visit first though - some are lovely and others...well, not quite so!

Feel free to PM me if you want the contact details of someone I stayed with - very very well to do family in a gorgeous house 2 miles from the airport - £10 a night.

The other option while you meet people and decide who you want to live with is the B&Bs and oxfords on-site accomodation. Beware; OAT's accomodation only has practicality going for it - it is expensive, not very nice, cramped. noisy, and full of Algerian Air Force boys - lovely lads, but oh so noisy!

Hope that helps mate, and enjoy your time there - I certainly did!!

JP

geraldn
7th Aug 2004, 10:51
Thank you both for the info.as u guys were wondering which course im doing,its the full-time ground school ATPL's 26 weeks with a 4week break halfway.
cheers:ok:

flystudent
7th Aug 2004, 22:30
As the others said, definitely stay off site. Perhaps halls for the first week or two to meet people and decide who you could and would live with and vice versa :-)

Then move to Kidlington or Woodstock. I would recommend Woodstock over Kidlington if you have transport as the social life is better (personal opinion, having lived in both)

You can rent a 3 bed place for 800-1000pcm (between you all)against the halls of approx £180 a week !! (full board) and as you will be a full time student , no council tax to worry about.

I feel it's important that you can get away from the airport as it becomes a bit too much of your life and unfortunately many of the residents in the halls don't respect that you are busy and have study to do, so people charging around loudly and selfishly is common.

geraldn
9th Aug 2004, 17:27
thank you flystudent,like the others said u convinced me to stay off site aswell as it seemed abit too pricey.i think the best option is to stay with a family and then see what evolves once you are there.cheers