PDA

View Full Version : log book

tarjet fixated
6th Aug 2004, 17:11
I'm kinda tired of these big and heavy logbooks we all have...not to speak about the boring filling and adding up process...
Is there any JAA approved computer based program that does all the boring stuff itself after you just enter the flight details,something to replace legally the old fashioned logbook??

Man Flex 32.5
6th Aug 2004, 18:11
Hi Tarjet
I am currently designing a windows based log book program, which will be bug tested during the next 3 - 4 weeks or so.

I will have the web site running hopefully by then.

the opening page shows a summary of your flying history, p1 p2 p1 u/s on every a/c, there is also a graph which can be filtered to show for example a30, a321 etc.

Also a graph which is customisable to show monthly flight hours the period can be user defined.

Also a display of duty hours with user defined alerts.

The program will allow multiple sectors entries for example if you fly 4 sectors which i currently do it takes a fraction of the time. The program also works out night flying time automatically for anywhere in the world.

Also displays flight duty hours allowing to check any period, fixed duty start day i.e duty is calculated from a monday or rolling days which are user defined.

Also works out flight duty pay by the hour/ sector pay, can factor sectors automatically (defined by great circle distance) ideal for easy guys.

Office duties and sim payments can be added i use this to check my payslip (so im not fiddled)

The only requirement to comply with JAA is that each page once printed must be certified correct by you, there is a neat little box for this.

There is also a search facility to see when you last flew a vor,ils,ndb,vis app or when you flew with any pilot to any destination on any a/c, i.e when i last flew with j bloggs to alc on a320 or any combination of the above.

A function to summarise civil, military and private flying.

The printout looks very similar to standard logbooks.

If i have missed out any desirable functions please let me know and ill try to incorporate.

Regards MF

tarjet fixated
8th Aug 2004, 13:45
Hi Man Flex,
thanks for your reply,i have done a web search and found out there are a few pc programs that do more or less what the program you are working on does;they also call themselves JAA compliant...but i'm not sure they can actually replace our old logbooks.
Are you saying that the only JAA requirement is my signature at the bottom of each page?
What your program does sounds really good, the only option i would consider as an interesting add on is some kind of link to each leg where you could store additional stuff (like crew names,operational remarks and most of all an option to recall any reports you might have done for that particular flight: delay codes,near miss reports,operational reports,company reports and so on).
It would be neat to have some kind of upload feature so that i could upload the actual company forms,fill them and attach them to that particular flight and recall them for printing in case my chief pilot asks for explanation 3 months later...as he actually does.

oh i forgot...what would be really good is a customizeable feature to alert you for flight and duty times limits...but i guess you have that sorted already.
keep me posted as your program is released!!

oh i forgot...what would be really good is a customizeable feature to alert you for flight and duty times limits...but i guess you have that sorted already.
keep me posted as your program is released!!

Man Flex 32.5
8th Aug 2004, 17:54
Hi Tarjet

i have attached a section from the UK ANO dated april 2003

Personal flying log book
28 (1) Every member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom and
every person who engages in flying for the purpose of qualifying for the grant or
renewal of a licence under this Order shall keep a personal flying log book in which
the following particulars shall be recorded:
(a) the name and address of the holder of the log book;
(b) particulars of the holder’s licence (if any) to act as a member of the flight crew of
an aircraft; and
(c) the name and address of his employer (if any).
(2) Particulars of each flight during which the holder of the log book acted either as a
member of the flight crew of an aircraft or for the purpose of qualifying for the grant
or renewal of a licence under this Order, as the case may be, shall be recorded in the
log book at the end of each flight or as soon thereafter as is reasonably practicable,
including:

(a) the date, the places at which the holder embarked on and disembarked from the
aircraft and the time spent during the course of a flight when he was acting in
either capacity;
(b) the type and registration marks of the aircraft;
(c) the capacity in which the holder acted in flight;
(d) particulars of any special conditions under which the flight was conducted,
including night flying and instrument flying; and
(e) particulars of any test or examination undertaken whilst in flight.
(3) For the purposes of this article, a helicopter shall be deemed to be in flight from the
moment the helicopter first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off
until the rotors are next stopped.
(4) Particulars of any test or examination undertaken whilst in a flight simulator shall be
recorded in the log book, including:
(a) the date of the test or examination;
(b) the type of simulator;
(c) the capacity in which the holder acted; and
(d) the nature of the test or examination.

The above requirements are very basic and also incorporated, i have spoken to the CAA they require the above plus a signature at the bottom i dont really know why. I will speak to them again tomorrow just to confirm.

Regarding notes etc, at the moment there is a box available for notes etc much like the conventional paper logbooks, however for aesthetics this space is limited. It is possible to incororate a facility to have additional notes linked with each leg.
Currently you are able to search and print off any kind of criteria as mentioned above which displays the full data for each leg ie date, type, reg, from, to etc much like a paper logbook (but neater).

The flightduty section is fully customisable, there are 4 fields for this which can be set to any amount of days, i have 7,14,28 and 365 days and i set the limits accordingly. If you get close to these limits again you select when you wish to be notified, the data is highlighted in red which certainly catches your eye.

I will look into attaching other docs for each leg

Rgds MF

have another coffee
9th Aug 2004, 08:42
Try this,

http://www.fliteware.co.uk/index.html

Works like a dream and a print is accepted by my authorities (NL).

tarjet fixated
9th Aug 2004, 17:11
H.A.C.,
i had a look at the web site,looks good but as far as i understand the logbook and the duty time softwares are two separate things or is the latter an add on of the first and you can use them both as one?