PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

Roidelstein
6th Aug 2004, 12:00
Hi

My laptop has developed a very annoying habit which is making the internet virtually impossible to use.

When using Internet Explorer there are instances when it (IE) just shuts itself down. Examples are when I type my username and password into Hotmail, when I click login or send, it just closes down and I am looking at the wallpaper on my start-up screen. Or if I am looking for a holiday or flight, I enter the information fields, but when I click 'send' or 'search' or whatever, that is when IE just shuts down.

Strange isn't it? Anyone else experienced this? I am at the point where I am considering formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch. Help!!! :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 14:57
Roidelstein,

Once you follow the steps of the article in the thread:

Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117136)

If you still have problems we will take a look at your system using the program:

Hijack This! (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk)

If you use it, do NOT repair anything, just scan your system and post the results found in your log file. HJT! finds everything in your system, good and bad, we do not want to "Repair" anything that is supposed to be in your system.

Take Care,

Richard

Roidelstein
6th Aug 2004, 15:14
Thanks alot Richard, really kind of you.
Away for a couple of weeks now but will get onto it when I get back.

Already done the ad-aware thing, found loads of malware and adware but couldn;t follow all the other steps. Removing the adware made no difference.

I'll post again in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 15:37
Roidelstein,

Have a great time while you are away. We will fix your computer when you get back. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Roidelstein
12th Sep 2004, 16:30
Naples, thanks again for offering to sort out my laptop.

Seems to be behaving itself for the moment, but i'll get back to you if it starts playing up again (which it almost certainly will!).

Cheers

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Sep 2004, 17:22
Roidelstein,

Follow the guide from the post above and run HJT! before it starts "acting up" again. You could have DoS Malware running on your comp that on certain times of the month launch the DoS Attacks and you notice it because your computer crawls at those times.

Take Care,

Richard