PDA

View Full Version : O.A.T vs Stapleford.

P51 mustang
6th Aug 2004, 11:57
I'LL BE STARTING A DEGREE COURSE FOR PILOTS NEXT MONTH, AND PLANNED TO DO MY FLIGHT TRAINING AT STAPLEFORD FLIGHT CENTRE, BECAUSE I LIVE IN GREATER LONDON AND DON'T MIND THE DISTANCE AS IT ISN'T TOO FAR. NOW, FROM WHAT I'VE READ IN SOME MAGAZINES I'M UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT MOST AIRLINES IN THEU.K PREFER STUDENTS FROM OXFORD AIR TRAINING(O.A.T). HOW TRUE IS THIS, AS I CAN GET AN ATPL FROM STAPLEFORD FOR ALMOST HALF THE PRICE OF WHAT O.A.T CHARGE.:confused:

EGAC_Ramper
6th Aug 2004, 13:44
Like you I have looked into many a training school.These varied from Delta Flight Academy,Naples AIr centre,Cabair,OAT's,Jerez and stapleford.
From these I've narrowed down to OAT's or Jerez which at the moment is more looking like OAT's everyday.Personally I'd be going along the full-time modular route which suits me.Some topic did cover Staplefords ground school with the London Met Uni which wasn't oerwhelming in praise.But what I would say is search on these forums for references on them.Also go to the individual schools.In 2 weeks I'll be doing my class 1 medical and while over in that direction I've got a visit to OAT's booked.

All the very Best

Foz2
6th Aug 2004, 14:56
If you are at Stapleford you dont have to do your groundschool at London Met if you dont want to - you can do it anywhere.

Foz

AIRWAY
6th Aug 2004, 21:13
Foz is correct...

---

Try using the search engine and you will find heaps of info about it. Im a student with stapleford and im very happy with the service levels im getting but this is my opinon, like i said use the search engine and try visiting both schools, if you go to stapleford let me know and we can always have a coffe at the clubhouse and talk abit about the school as well.

Good luck

pink flamingo
9th Aug 2004, 20:17
i do believe this comparison is purely of personal convenince as the two FTO cannot stand any comparison.
OAT has a high reputation and standard of instruction both for ground school and flight training which Stapleford has not and has never had.
If i were you i would personally get a greater in depth look at what is available. Go there have a chat with the student and try to get a picture. Remember that pilot and wannabe are generally quite proud so they never say the complete truth therefore take it into account.
Personally i would consider OAT, Bristol, adn Bournemouth
Kind regards and best of luck
PF

P.S. prices and quote are a pure illusion, never choose a FTO by its price. Certain school take real advantage of that to atract and hook their customer then, they start to peel them off to their bones.

AIRWAY
9th Aug 2004, 21:10
I would like to know what do you mean with the following:

Remember that pilot and wannabe are generally quite proud so they never say the complete truth therefore take it into account.

Regards,
airway

pink flamingo
9th Aug 2004, 21:32
In advance my apologies for not being clear.
I meant that usually student pilot's comment is not 100% true but slightly worse than what they describe. Reason for that is a general embarasment to admit it took a longer training or it cost them more than they were quoted to get their licence/rating/etc.

On the ohter hand i got to say that at Stapleford too you can get some very good instructor particularly for PPL and CPL
once again
Kind regards
PF

ESSEX BOY
10th Aug 2004, 06:19
PF ....

OAT has a high reputation and standard of instruction both for ground school and flight training which Stapleford has not and has never had.

Not quite sure what mean ... Stapleford have been training professionally for over 50 years, and if you search the forums you won't find a bad word against them, they have a v.good reputation which has grown rapidly with the school over the past few years ... The most probable reason for this is the Price and the Training ?

I trained at Stapleford last year ... the price was no "illusion" they are based on first time passes and minimum hours (Same as OAT, Bournemouth and all the others) !

and after passing CPL/IR first time in min hours i can vouch for that, and like many others was happy with the service.

As for the groundschool, you can do that anywhere as previously mentioned, however with London Met's new course structure and books i think they have the best pass rate's these days ? don't quote me on that though ... i did do mine distance learning.

I do agree they have some good Instructors ;) ... And several with Airline experience (previous and current) which is an advantage.

Im happy in knowing that im sitting here with the same licence as the guy/girl next to me ... and having paid less than half for it, good quality training and first time passes.

At the end of the day all though I highly disagree in paying for Type Ratings and any any training in fact :ugh: It apears to be the way its going, when people don't honour their bonds. If an airline said to you OK - we'll take you if you pay for your own type rating would you do it ?

depends .... but at least you would have the option of the extra money ???

Frozen ATPL (CPL/IR) ....

OAT = £60,000

Stapleford = £25,000 = £50,000 (with B737 rating and 100 hrs line training)

And P51 I agree with PF go to the Flight school's and have a look around and a chat with Instructors and students ... !

just my thoughts ... :rolleyes:

:ok: good luck in your choice !

AIRWAY
10th Aug 2004, 09:08
And several with Airline experience (previous and current) which is an advantage.

Correct,

My current instructor, is an ex corporate pilot ( captain ) also an ex Aeronautical Engineer, and currently a CAA examiner, know dont you wish to have an instructor like this :O

I will give you my honest opinion of Stapleford unlike some other training providers at stapleford we are not just a number ( and i know this because before i went to stapleford i was in a so called "best" flying training provider in the uk and the service i got was to say the least a disgrace ) so i think im qualified to answer this. Dont feel tempted by the marketing departments of flying schools it can be deceiving this was my initial mistake before i joined Stapleford, but i managed to correct it before it was too late.

Moved training provider to Stapleford thanks to a friend of mine also flying at EGSG. Fair enough Stapleford might not be big like OAT or Cabair but they certainly make us feel welcomed and they try their best, the only negative bit i dont like is the cessna fleet, they are very old, but anyway im flying pipers which are in good conditions and some of them are quite recent from 2002.

As for the rest, please read Essex Boy he is spot on.

But like i said this is my opinion, while im happy at Stapleford, someone else might not be, but do a search using the pprune search engine and im sure you will find more info.

Regards

Biscuit
10th Aug 2004, 09:28
Anyone recently completed their fATPL with Stapleford and managed to get a job without paying for a type rating?

B

pink flamingo
10th Aug 2004, 11:04
Hi you all

with:

i meant that OAT is a well known FTO and quite popular all over the world. I reckon this is due to several facts:

1. it used to be one of the FTO with most of airline sponsorship

2. used to issure the ATPL ground training manual in cooperation with Jeppesen (and those manuals were and still are the most popular around the world)

3. Is the one who produced a Met CD in cooperation with METOFFICE, also used all over the world.

I reckon there are several points that has made OAT a well known and reputable FTO.

With this i do not mean that Stapleford is not but as Essex boy said:

and if you search the forums you won't find a bad word against them, they have a v.good reputation which has grown rapidly with the school over the past few years ... The most probable reason for this is the Price and the Training

YOU WON'T FIND A BAD WORD which is true but on the other hand you will not even find that many good comments tu sustain such a great reputation.

Said that we also got to consider avaiation is a very small circle, yesterday was OAT, today may be Stapleford and tomorrow ????

Make a wise choice and try to stick with it. I do not agree with advancement payment as i reckon there are no guarantee and the risk is quite high. Whichever FTO you choose make sure you got also all facilities required for your training.

kind regards
PF