PDA

View Full Version : Flight Dispatcher Exam

tkjpop
6th Aug 2004, 07:25
I'm preparing to write the flight dispatcher exam which consists of two parts: Meteorology & Operations. I tried to look up the study and reference guide available at the TC website, and I have no idea where to start studying as the guidelines are really brief. In fact, the topics so brief and broad in context that they include everything except the kitchen sink. Well, it encompasses all asepcts of aviation.

I have passed the PPL and CPL written exams with ease but this certainly looks challenging to me. I'm guessing its difficulty level is comparable to ATPL exams? I know there are some prep courses available in Eastern Canada with cost around few thousands dollars. However, I'm a student and can't afford such expense. Can anyone who has taken the exam and choose the self-study route share with me some books/references you used? Or do you have any specific books in mind that you think would be helpful? Many Thanks in advance.

NDAbound
6th Aug 2004, 15:00
It's my understanding that the Dispatcher exams are somewhat similar to both the SARON and SAMRA. Try calling your local TC office for some suggestions. Perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Smurfjet
7th Aug 2004, 23:00
Tk, check your PMs...

Snot Box
22nd Aug 2004, 08:54
Hey TK,

Hopefully this would help:

For MET, remember the exam is 100 Q's and it is much more detailed than the SAMRA as the 100 Q are all directed at strictly meteorology.

The books I used are:
1. Air Command Weather Manual
2. Aware
3. Aviation Weather from Jeppesen
4. Meteorology book from the UK (Sorry, can't remember the name)

Just to give you and idea, I was quite suprised that I actually got a few Q's on Tropical Meteorlogy and also the Complex Low Q's as well. So I am sure they can ask you just about anything.

For Operations:
1. From the Ground Up
2. The Turbine Pilot's Manual
3. AIP
4. Aerocourse book which I borrowed from a friend
5. CFS
6. Fly The Wing

This may not be a comprehensive list but it has helped me get through the exams.

I hope this helps. Even though the exams are Free, you still want to try to pass them at the first go. My impression is that the MET is definitely the harder of the two.

Let me know if you have other questions...drop a PM.