PDA

View Full Version : Removing script from mpeg which starts the browser

terryJones
5th Aug 2004, 23:35
My cousin has downloaded an information/training mpeg from a site.
I have watched it, very interesting if you are into wrought iron work :bored:
The problem is that not long before it ends it opens the browser and tries to log onto its originating site on an advertising page selling tools and metal strip. As a result a little of the video is missed while you close down the browser window.
I assume there is a script somewhere which must run to do this. My question is:- Does anyone know of any software which would 'scan' the file and remove the offending junk?
Thanks in anticipation.

Capt. J
6th Aug 2004, 06:09
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6 is one of the 2 I recommend.

The second one is Spybot - Search & Destroy.

The best way to keep these things away from your computer, is to get Norton Internet Security 2***. I've been using it for 3 years now and I've never had 1 pop-up or anything that gets into my computer. Great software ;)

stickyb
6th Aug 2004, 08:49
With respect, I don't think Capt J's suggestions will actually do what you want in this case.
However, if you are using Windows media player, look under tools/options/security and uncheck the box which says "run script commands" and check the box whixh says "do not run script commands etc"
Others more knowledgeable than me might confirm, but I think this will work

Capt. J
6th Aug 2004, 08:59
Sorry for giving incorrect info.

Incase you didn't know, the software I recommended is used to remove any spyware, bugs or ads which are attatched to your computer. It'd be worth scanning your computer to find how many spyware, etc. you have on your computer :\

Once again, sorry for getting off-topic to the info you were seeking.

Apologies,

Capt. J

terryJones
6th Aug 2004, 11:45
CaptJ.
I run Spybot and Adaware, and Norton Systemworks. Many thanks however for taking time out to reply.
Stickyb.
That sounds ok, but I have cannot see a security option in the options menu.
(Windows Media Player for XP)
I get 'media library, visulisations, file types, DVD, and another half dozen options, but none seem to have that option of disabling scripts.:confused:
TJ

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 14:49
terryJones,

In WMP9 you will find it under:

Tools >> Options >> Security Tab

Take Care,

Richard

terryJones
6th Aug 2004, 18:12
Richard.
Seriously, I have NO Security tab in options...
Player, Copy Music, Devices, Performance, and on the next row, Media Library, Visulizations, File Type, DVD, Network.
None of these give the ability to do as suggested.:confused:
The 'About' in help tells me Windows Media Player for Windows XP, The copyright blurb, then 8.00.00. 4487, then Product ID 55274-644-7886616-23498
Does this help?
TJ

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 18:35
terryJones,

Make sure you are logged in with Administrator Privileges and that you have the latest WMP Version which is 9. You are using WinXP right?

Take Care,

Richard

terryJones
7th Aug 2004, 10:06
Richard.
I have WinXP Pro, but it seemed that the version of media player was not 9.
Last night I downloaded the beta version of wmp10, and lo and behold, a 'security' tab.
Job done, thanks for effectivly pointing me in the right direction.
TJ

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Aug 2004, 18:12
terryJones,

You might want to update WMP. Version 9 has some good enhancements to it. In WMP under Help there is a Check for Player Updates. I would recommend it. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard