PDA

View Full Version : Squeezing big pictures into little ones.

Keygrip
5th Aug 2004, 19:26
Simple (stoopid) question for those in the know - but the digital pictures from my cameras are coming out at, say, 650 to 800 kb.

Tranmsission by e-mail, especially to a dial up reception, can be torturous or impossible.

How does one squeeze the picture down to around a 100kb?

Evo
5th Aug 2004, 21:04
In XP, if I right-click on a picture in Windows Explorer and select Send To -> Mail recipient, Windows gives me the option of making the picture smaller or keeping the original size. Simple, and works well.

Mac the Knife
5th Aug 2004, 21:18
http://www.irfanview.com/

BRL
5th Aug 2004, 21:38
Open up any picture viewer such as Paintshop pro, Photoshop, Irfanview etc and look for resize. Simply select what size you want then save the image somewhere on your hard drive. Remember to keep your original too.

tired-flyboy
5th Aug 2004, 22:25
hi

if your using outlook to send your pics, when you attach a file it recognises the .gif/.jpeg

look at the attachment options window and there will be an option for pictures

choose the one that fits best for your needs (in this case i'd say the smallest choice)

Your sorted!

TFB

:ok:

Capt. J
6th Aug 2004, 06:14
Save it into a JPEG. If that doesn't work, try this:

Open Adobe Photoshop and click "Save As" and then change the quality to what you want. (I thin someone has said that already :rolleyes: )

For me, saving it as a JPEG using Bitmap Editor, makes it small enough to my desired size.

PaperTiger
6th Aug 2004, 19:44
I think keygrip wants the file size reduced, not the picture size. This is not 'resizing' as per photo editors, but compression. Converting the file type to a jpeg will do this, but only a few editors actually let you specify the resultant size. I have an old MicroGrafx Picture Publisher which has a wonderful slide bar control when saving jpegs. Lets you control the file size down to 1k ! :ok:
Unfortunately I don't think this product is available anymore (and not for free as mine was). Are there any current editors providing a similar level of control ?

Caslance
6th Aug 2004, 19:58
I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but I think that IrfanView allows you to do something similar.

PaperTiger
6th Aug 2004, 20:16
IrfanView is a marvellous piece of kit, it has 'rescued' many a wonky file for me when nothing else would, but I don't see the kind of control I mean. It has the normal resize function and also allows you to change the dpi (which would sort of compress) but the 'save as' dialogue doesn't seem to have any options associated with it.

Caslance
6th Aug 2004, 21:07
Hmmmm, I see.

Maybe this (http://www.nuetools.co.uk/) will help, then.

Bre901
6th Aug 2004, 21:23
ACDSee has an "optimize" function which allows to set both the size AND the quality of a JPEG image.