View Full Version : Passenger B707's and DC8's

airsmiles
5th Aug 2004, 19:11
Having flown a range of aircraft types over the years I wondered whether it was too late to fly the B707 and/or DC8.

I presume in these post-911 days that hitching a lift on a freight example is out the question.

Does anyone know if any airlines/travel clubs etc. still fly passenger examples commercially? It doesn't really matter where they are but it's just finding out where these operators may be.

Any help would be gratefully received.

airsmiles

Buster the Bear
5th Aug 2004, 19:24
Saha Air of Iran, do a search on www.airliners.net for EP-SHU B707, or you could ask John Travolta for a lift?

http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

airsmiles
5th Aug 2004, 21:29
Great. The pictures are excellent on airliners.net. Mind you, I would prefer to hitch a lift on John's V-Jet than risk a trip to Iran at the moment. Would be a real experience in Iran though.

airsmiles

EastMids
6th Aug 2004, 09:42
Only Saha Air (Iran) and LADE (military-run airline in Argentina) still operate scheduled passenger services on the 707. As far as I know there are no charter operators using 707s, although there are a few exec jets. Saha Air has already been discussed, and it is possible to buy tickets on the seasonal LADE 707 services from Buenos Aires to Tuera del Fuego.

There are no regular scheduled DC-8 passenger services anywhere, although ATI in the US have a combi aircraft which carries passengers on occasions - you have to charter the aircraft though! There is talk that they will be using their DC-8s on scheduled passenger carrying services from the USA to Iraq but as far as I know this service hasn't yet started.

A

DanielP
6th Aug 2004, 13:41
One for the trivia spotters:
Apparently the Saha air aircraft aren't real pax 707s, they are military transports converted into passenger planes. You can see this by the weird double windows towards the rear.

I knew Iran had problems sourcing aircraft, but that really suprised me!

Daniel

The Claw
7th Aug 2004, 16:12
Interair operate a B707 out of Johannesburg, South Africa.

www.interair.co.za

Boss Raptor
7th Aug 2004, 18:19
Interair 707 pax hasnt operated to my knowledge for at least 2 years now having been replaced by B727-200's

SAHA 707's are in pax config and in civilian use but they were built originally as -3J9C for IIAF which as of course we all know own and operate SAHA outright (they are quite seperate fleet from other/remaining -3J9C's which operate as tanker, ECM and command post acft for IIAF in IIAF markings)

The Claw
7th Aug 2004, 20:00
Shows you when last I was in the country!

However, you can be certain that Tokoph still operates that B707 somewhere in this world!

Capt. J. Patroni
12th Aug 2004, 12:42
Watch the movie "Airport" and you'll get a thrill ride on the B707 you'll never forget!

Cheers