PDA

View Full Version : ereg32.exe

None of the above
5th Aug 2004, 10:16
I run Zone Alarm Pro and on checking the Program Control panel I noticed the following entry:

ereg32.exe

It is presently blocked from Internet access and from functioning as a server on the grounds that I do not know if it is a malign influence.
A quick Google search has revealed several references to this file in connection with a virus which was spread via a game included on magazine cover disc. Having just done a complete re-install (please don't intrude on private grief) I think that the machine is pretty clean. The only thing installed from a giveaway disc has been Adobe Acrobat Reader.

The system runs XP.
Norton AV 2004, Adaware and Spybot S & D are all installed and up to date.

Any info gratefully received, Gentlemen.

Thanks in advance

N o t a

E-Liam
5th Aug 2004, 11:16
Hi Nota,

Go here (http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html) and click in the little box that has browse beside it and paste this line into it..

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ereg32.exe

(I'm assuming that that is the file path, but please change if necessary)

..then press submit.
That sends a copy of the file to their virus checker to see if it's infected. It's a virus from 1998, so it's unlikely to be that, but this will let you know for sure. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find out more.

Cheers

Liam

None of the above
5th Aug 2004, 17:45
Thanks Gentlemen both.......

Liam......

The file path is E:Install\Ereg\ereg32.exe but submitting it to Kaspersky doesn't come up with any results so a bit of a puzzler, really.

Mike.....

The fact that the problem only affects W98 & W95 is encouraging but quite why the thing is there in the first place is still a little worrying.

Ta, chaps!

N o t a

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Aug 2004, 18:13
None of the above,

If the file has a path back to an Optical Drive, remove it and any reference to it in your Windows Registry.

Take Care,

Richard

None of the above
5th Aug 2004, 19:46
Richard.....

Forgive my ignorance, but is 'E:Install\Ereg\ereg32.exe' the file path you mean? 'E' is my DVD drive by the way.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 03:59
None of the above,

If Drive "E" is your DVD Drive, then by all means, get rid of that file! :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

None of the above
6th Aug 2004, 17:12
Richard............

File despatched unto eternal darkness...... so to speak.

As ever, many thanks!

N o t a

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 18:32
None of the above,

Always glad to help. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard