PDA

View Full Version : Position Reports

AerocatS2A
5th Aug 2004, 02:51
Another quick question (mainly for the ATC guys I guess).

The AIP states that the format for a position report should be Position, Time, Altitude/Level, ETA for next position.

It further says that when giving a bearing and distance from somewhere for a position, the format should be Place, Bearing, Distance. The example it gives (from Jepps, Meteorology, Position Reports - AIREPS, 5.4 pg AU-39) is "[place] THREE SIX ZERO ZERO ONE FIVE"

This would mean that a position report might go "Port Hedland 270013 at this time 5000' Karratha at 15"

To me this seems to be a fairly ambiguous way of stating a bearing and distance, and I have yet to hear someone use this format. Most times I hear people say something like "13 miles Port Hedland on the 270 bearing/radial"

So, which is the correct way of stating a bearing and distance as a position report? If someone was to use the AIP phraseology would it cause confusion as to which 3 numbers was the bearing and which was the distance?

Spodman
5th Aug 2004, 03:18
That's the format it has to be on the computer to make sense of a flight plan, the way we'd expect it on a notam, and the way the military do it. ATC will understand you if you use this format.

I recognise some pilots are expecting distance then bearing from us so would spell it out using the words "bearing/radial" & "distance" when I can't get away with saying "north east/etc."

AerocatS2A
5th Aug 2004, 05:43
Thanks Spodman. Do you hear many pilots using the correct AIP format? What would you prefer us to use?

It would seem that Distance, Place, Bearing/Radial is the correct format for reporting positions when arriving at an aerodrome though. E.g. Jepps 700 series 6.5.1 says that arriving aircraft at an MBZ or CTAF aerodrome should report, among other things, their position - "reported as distance with either the radial, bearing or quadrant from the aerodrome".

It is all good fun when you start flying in a different country and have to glean all your information from the AIP rather than having had an instructor explain stuff to you.

Capt Claret
5th Aug 2004, 06:51
The position report should go. "Port Hedland 270013 at [minutes] or [hours and minutes] 5000' Karratha at 15", not "this time".

AerocatS2A
5th Aug 2004, 07:18
Ok, thanks.

I guess that's another non standard thing that a lot of pilots do. Personally I'd like to maintain some level of professionalism (hence the questions).

5miles
5th Aug 2004, 07:58
It's also more professional to prefix the call b4 going straight into the details.

ie. Alpha Bravo Charlie, Position.

Then wait for the go ahead. First it may save you the report if you're radar identified...(depends on other factors too). Secondly, we may be in the middle of another task or have more pressing transmissions to make. Third, less chance of a say again, even if you do speak at a million miles a minute.

:ok: