PDA

View Full Version : Changing from XP to AppleMac

zed3
4th Aug 2004, 23:02
This must have been on these hallowed pages before BUT .....I am now with friends in the US and he has changed over to Apple . As I am getting fedup with WindowsXP freezing regularly , I am seriously thinking of going over to Apple ..... anyone else done this and seen a marked difference?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Aug 2004, 23:17
zed3,

As I am getting fedup with WindowsXP freezing regularly

Then there is something really wrong with our system, because WinXP does not freeze.

You either have a Driver, Hardware, or Malware Issue on your computer.

If you want to give us the specs on your system and more details about the problems, we will help you solve them without having to go over to "The Dark Side". :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

drauk
4th Aug 2004, 23:58
There are reasons to use a Mac instead of a Windows machine, but avoiding crashing is not one of them. I mostly use Macs these days, by choice, but my Macs crash more often (desktop once a month, laptop once in 6 months) than my Windows XP desktop which never crashes.

Evo
5th Aug 2004, 06:58
I'd agree with Richard and drauk. For work I use Linux, Windows XP and Windows 2000 (on decent hardware) and I've never seen any of them crash. Ever. At home we have two Macs (OS X Panther) which I think are brilliant - far better for general ease of use than any other operating system I have used - but the reliability isn't close to my work machines. I see them crash or lock up every couple of weeks, despite being used much less.

I have, however, seen plenty of Windows crashes on machines with cheap hardware and/or poor quality drivers (in my experience the two usually go together). As Richard says, I would look there first.

goates
5th Aug 2004, 13:48
As the others have said, don't go to a Mac because of crashes as you'll quite likely end up disappointed. Depending on what you are doing with the computers, both can crash just as easily. Both can be just as stable too. Switching because of security issues or because you just like using the Mac better, and it can do what you need, are far better reasons to switch. Another option if you want to avoid crashes and are willing to put some time into it, is Linux.

goates