PDA

View Full Version : 'Ruslan' Flight deck picture

JamesT73J
4th Aug 2004, 14:33
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/631785/L/

I was looking at this and noticed that the aircraft is new. Russian aviation has come a long, long way in the last twenty years, and I'm going to make a couple of assumptions:

1) It's a four engined transport. Would the electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems not be similar in principle to most other civil aircraft? By this I mean a few manufacturers seemed to have settled on reasonably similar methods for systems layout - common sense practice I suppose.

2) Given the above, why so many crew stations? I can see six seats - what does everybody do?

I'm not being critical - on the contrary, I think it's fab. I'm just wondering how the operation of such an aircraft differs systemically to others.

Notso Fantastic
4th Aug 2004, 15:13
Looks a bit 'agricultural' doesn't it? I imagine one operates the threshing machine, another makes sure the baler is baling OK.........
One station will be communicator- they used to have a separate Radio Operator for language difficulties. They used to have a Navigator station with wonderful ADF sets on enormous compass scales. One will certainly be a Loadmaster and one a Flight Engineer- I would not expect a 70s aeroplane to have the degree of automation we in the west take for granted now.

The Otter's Pocket
4th Aug 2004, 15:35
Well I personally like the fitted carpet and the MDF desk with the semi circle cut out with a Swiss Army Wife.
Seriously though there would be the opportunity for some pretty lively discussions and a great opportunity to play Chinese Fire Drill!
Do you think that it could be Naval Transport with all that Blue and Grey?

VP8
4th Aug 2004, 19:51
Usually 2 Pilots, 2 Flight engineers, Navigators and radio operator plus the Flight manager usually sits up front....

VEEPs

WHBM
4th Aug 2004, 21:04
"brand new aircraft ... just 1 month old"

Hmmm, it's taken them a while. RA-82080 was last reported as being 80% complete at the factory 5 years ago, in 1999 !!

I think you'll also find it looks pretty much the same as the early ones, that were indeed produced 20 years ago.

DVR6K
6th Aug 2004, 07:30
Why the blue panels?? Looks hideous!

Notso Fantastic
6th Aug 2004, 09:01
Pale blue is the standard Russian colour for military/civil jets. Many years ago was shown around an IL62 Flight Deck. Can't remember exactly, but I think it was an equally nauseating pale green.

Basil
6th Aug 2004, 09:12
An-124
Stbd: Engineer & Electrical Engineer
Port: Navigator & Radio Operator
Behind that lot there's a galley and dining area and aft of that, a bunk area which I haven't seen because, on my visit, the crew was asleep - no hotel bills :(
Nice curtains to keep the sun out of ones eyes.
Quite a bit of kit - roll on/roll off, overhead travelling crane. Just one thing - the ladder to the flight deck is a bit shaky even compared with the B747-200F :ooh:

bacardi walla
6th Aug 2004, 09:36
and don't forget the deck chair on the flight deck for the extra crew member ;)

biz-trvlr
6th Aug 2004, 09:45
Interesting interior departure from the Cold War years. Back in their 'glory' days of the MIG-25, their engineers had determined that a 'subtle green' interior was the most calming for their pilots. The question remains, calming in what sense?

Capt. J
6th Aug 2004, 09:49
A guess. Green probably makes it feel like your lying on grass? or perhaps in a forest :rolleyes: Does that sound relaxing and calming? :p

Basil
7th Aug 2004, 14:46
So which one's the vodka bottle then? :D :D

Buster Hyman
7th Aug 2004, 15:13
I like the "subtle" panel lights. Really match the decor!:rolleyes:

Had a good look over a few AN124's in the early 90's. Highlight of my nosing around was the avionics bay!:ugh: One word...valves!!!!:eek:

bacardi walla
7th Aug 2004, 17:30
more room in that kitchen than mine at home ??

Netherways
9th Aug 2004, 14:04
Basil,

Simple...ALL of them!