PDA

View Full Version : S.o.a.f. 68-77 (Merged)

airhead10
4th Aug 2004, 08:02
Excuse the intrusion into the Military Forum, but this is a call for anyone in pprune who served in the Sultan of Oman's Air Force between 1968 and 1977 who knew my father, Peter Hulme. He was (latterly), Wing Commander, O.C. T.A.C. and was heavily involved in the war in Dofar.

He is regrettably seriously ill after suffering 3 fairly serious strokes. Currently in hospital and not looking good, (especially after the night staff managed to tip him out of bed onto the floor, breaking his knee cap and causing a gash in his head requiring stitches - jeez!)

Am off to the UK next week to see him and would love to be able to pass on any regards from people who may have known him.

Thanks

teeteringhead
4th Aug 2004, 10:26
airhead10

Check your PMs

teeteringhead

airhead10
5th Aug 2004, 02:13
Thanks for that teeteringhead! Message received and will pass on your regards.
:ok:

Airhead10

airhead10
5th Aug 2004, 07:52
If you would indulge me, allow me to post here the citation my father recieved upon being awarded the Sultan of Oman's Gallantry Medal. I want people to know about this man before he goes.

Squadron Leader P S Hulme WB, Sultan of Oman’s Air Force Pilot in Hawf border area in Dhofar on 27th May 1972

During the morning of Friday, 27th May 1972, Squadron Leader Hulme was participating in the seventh and final air strike of Operation Aqooba which was directed against targets of the Popular Front for the Liberation of the Arabian Gulf in the Hawf area. His first pass was an accurate dive bomb attack on enemy storage areas. During his second attack, which was a rocket strike in the same area, his aircraft was hit by a heavy round fired from a Shpagin machine gun employed in the ant-aircraft role. Immediate and heavy damage to the aircraft was caused. The main electrical cable was cut, the main fuel pipe was ruptured, the radio would not work and fuel and vapour poured into the cockpit making it difficult to see and breathe. Squadron Leader Hulme’s first reaction was to try and eject over the Sultan’s Armed Forces positions at “Mainbrace”. However, after a rapid assessment of the damage, he decided to try and return to base at Salalah even though the fuel would probably not last long enough for the long flight back. He accordingly established a gentle climb, to allow a glide if and when the engine should fail. After setting course for Salalah, he was joined by another Strikemaster and a visual message was passed by the pilot advising Squadron Leader Hulme to eject because of the obvious damage, and large spillage of fuel, and therefore the attendant and very real danger of fire and explosion; a fact confirmed by the message from the formating aircraft. The fuel continued to escape at a fast rate, and by the time Adonib was reached the fuel gauge read zero and the engine stopped. Squadron Leader Hulme put the aircraft in a glide and planned a forced landing at Salalah, where he made a perfect flameout landing on the main runway.
Squadron Leader Hulme would have been more than justified in abandoning his aircraft shortly after being hit. Instead, he made the courageous decision to try and save the aircraft, knowing full well that an explosion or fire could occur at any time and that his life was at considerable risk, Throughout the emergency he displayed a cool and professional attitude in the highest traditions of his service. He displayed tenacity and courage of an exceptional order.
Force Routine Order Number 101 dated 6th June 1972

As a postscript, the main reason he elected not to eject was because he feared that the ejection procedure would ignite the vapour and fuel in the cockpit. At the time, his legs were burning from the fuel soaking into his flight suit.

As a final irony, a party was in progress at the officer's mess to honour his award of the medal when the adoo managed to drop a mortar into the mess grounds seriously injuring my father's leg, to the extent that he spent 2 years in and out of hospital undergoing surgery. He was unable, to his great regret, to continue flying.

Thanks for your patience guys.

Airhead10

Fox3snapshot
5th Aug 2004, 12:12
On the contrary Airhead, this is not an intrusion and is the perfect forum for you to present your fathers story and especially to track down some of his old mates from that era.

If you don't already have it there is a magnificent book on RAFO called "Eagles" An illustrated history of the Royal Air Force of Oman, the author is John Clementson. It was gifted to me by RAFO but unfortunately I did not see it on the bookshelves in Oman, you may find it on the international book market. Your father is mentioned in there (page 96). It is an outstanding book and worth tracking down.

My thoughts are with you and you should certainly be proud of your old man.

Masalamah

teeteringhead
5th Aug 2004, 15:26
There is also an excellent book on the whole of the Dhofar War, (called "We Won a War") written by Brigadier John Akehurst (later General Sir John) who commanded Dhofar Brigade during the final operations in the war.

I think it's probably out of print now, but IIRC it's got a description of the attack on the Mess bar. If I can dig it out at the weekend, I'll post an extract or two.

And of course the current CAS was there as a baby Strikemaster pilot, straight from his "creamie" tour at Valley......

And I warmly endorse Fox3snapshot's words above ... this is absolutely the right place for your post, and this thread has a bit more about it than inter-service banter and whinging about pensions......

;)

Fox3snapshot
5th Aug 2004, 22:34
Witch ya!

:ok:

Ali Barber
6th Aug 2004, 03:15
Airhead10, your father might be interested to know the scars from that mortar attack are still on the trees on the Officers' Mess patio at Salalah.

airhead10
6th Aug 2004, 05:28
Good grief! I'm sure he will.

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts and the advice. I will certainly look up the references provided.

I have all his log books which make fascinating reading and a great source of information. He started in the RAF flying Meteors in Valley (1952/3) after FTS and CFS, (Harvards). Was in Singapore 53-56 in the PR Squadron. Became a QFI before leaving the R.A.F. He also did a stint test flying and flew the early Vampires. Once told me you should never spin a Vampire after giving himself a scare while testing it!

Anyway, thanks again.
Airhead10

4PON4PIN
6th Aug 2004, 08:47
Airhead10 Check yr PM's.
Who are you flying with on yr return to UK?

The Pilgrim
6th Aug 2004, 09:19
As one of the blokes on the ground during the Dhofar War I have only admiration for the people the flew the Strikemasters. I probably controlled your dad once or twice during my tours there. Regards to him

airhead10
6th Aug 2004, 09:38
Thanks again to all.

4PON4PIN - message received and replied. Cheers :ok:

We are flying Emirates on 12th August arriving Friday the 13th (ooooer! :sad: )

Thanks Pilgrim. The Strikies were much admired by said dad. He tried to persuade the Sultan to buy ex-RAF Hunters but he chose Jags for some reason? He also flew the Beaver which he loved, (had a reputation for landing at Salalah across the width of the runway!). Also was qaulified on the Skyvan (6 tonne budgie?), the Caribou and also the Dakotas which the Sultan had at one time. In fact he and "Mac the Dak" delivered one from Herne to Bait-al-Falaj. (Mac regrettably was killed flying a Caribou out of Salalah under an air raid warning. Load was not secured in the back, aircraft plunged into the ground just after take off).
Lot of derring do guys in them days I recall, and had the privilege of meeting most of them.
Cheer all,
Airhead10

teeteringhead
6th Aug 2004, 09:43
And SOAF got the Hunters in the end .... from Jordan but they were ex-RAF before that!