Virgin will start flying Perth - Broome Sept 7 Tues/Thur/Sat

Intro fare $149
Standard $199

Cactus Jack
4th Aug 2004, 07:17
Gee, just in time to miss out on the high season! OOOPS!:ok:

steelcraft
4th Aug 2004, 07:45
that should be the final nail in Skywests coffin. Wonder if they will contact TL for connections to KNX?

GoNorth
4th Aug 2004, 08:11
Hmmm...not sure if the nail will be in Skywests coffin. They have most of the mining/contract work and seeing as virgin will be arriving Broome in the late arvo/night (can't transfer) they have little to fear.

Certainly shall be interesting though. Me thinks the pressure may be on the Q.

Wirraway
4th Aug 2004, 09:37
virginblue.com.au

MEDIA RELEASE

LOW FARE FLIGHTS TAKE OFF BETWEEN PERTH AND BROOME

Virgin Blue has announced it will begin direct intra WA services with a brand new flight between Perth and Broome from 7 September 2004.

The low fare carrier already operates to both destinations from other ports but it will be the first time Virgin Blue will fly direct services within Western Australia.

The decision was made following intense lobbying by the WA community for an affordable option between the two key WA destinations as well as for more service to Broome from the east coast of Australia.

Virgin Blue has re-jigged its schedule to free up an aircraft to initially allow for three flights a week to judge support for the route. The carrier will monitor the route’s progress with a view to increasing the number of flights if there is sufficient demand.

The flights will operate on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday offering a convenient late afternoon departure from Perth with an early evening return, allowing travellers to make the most of their time in this WA holiday haven.

Virgin Blue spokesperson Amanda Bolger said, “The people of WA have really gone into bat for us from the first day we began flights to the west coast almost three years ago and that loyalty has been unwavering. We have always said we will back the regions that back us and these additional new services are a direct result of support and demand from the people of Western Australia.”

The low fare airline will continue its tradition of offering a special “wow” launch fare offer of $149* one-way on the net, on sale from now until 8 August for travel between 7 September and 30 September 2004. Everyday low fares will start from $199* one-way on the net, 23% cheaper than the competition.

Amanda Bolger continued, “For the people of Perth, this gives yet another fantastic direct Virgin Blue flight option to one of Australia’s key tourism destinations right in their own backyard. For those lucky enough to be based in Broome, it offers an affordable and convenient direct Virgin Blue flight to the state capital to do some business or to visit family and friends.”

Connections to Broome will also be available from Brisbane, Gold Coast, Hobart, Launceston, Melbourne and Sydney via Perth to compliment connections already available on Saturdays via Virgin Blue’s direct Adelaide-Broome flight.

The first Perth-Broome flight will launch one week after Virgin Blue’s fourth birthday celebrations, marking four years since the airline first took to Australian skies.

PERTH - BROOME – EFFECTIVE 7 SEPTEMBER 2004

==========================================

cunninglinguist
4th Aug 2004, 11:30
I don't think "Q" will be shaking in their boots, 3 flights a day v 3 flights a week.
Amanda Bolger, any relation to the bolgers on the footy show ? makes about as much sense.
I would'nt go mistaking loyalty for ship jumping to find the cheapest flight.
Maybe with the 6 flights a week between VB and Skywest the holiday makers will actualy find something that will fit in with their holiday plans

Wirraway
4th Aug 2004, 17:28
Thurs "The Australian"

Virgin's new Broome sweeps Skywest aside
By Geoffrey Thomas
August 05, 2004

PERTH-based Skywest Airlines' proposed stock market float has struck more turbulence after rival Virgin Blue yesterday announced it would introduce Perth-Broome flights in September.

Virgin fired the opening shot in what is expected to be a savage price war, with a launch fare that undercut existing offerings from Skywest and Qantas by $110.

The Brisbane-based carrier is expected to increase its Perth-Broome flights to daily within six months, and its standard internet fare of $199 one-way will be 23 per cent cheaper than the competition.

Skywest downgraded its profit for 2003-04 from $2.4million to $750,000 because of a range of issues, including unexpectedly high costs for the introduction of its second Fokker 100 jet.

According to PricewaterhouseCoopers, Skywest's undisclosed 2005 profit is "heavily dependent" on the success of new services amid "considerable uncertainty over the level of passenger support".

Virgin Blue has been eyeing flights between Perth and several Western Australian destinations for some time. It now "overnights" up to four aircraft in Perth.

The Takeovers Panel last week grounded the takeover bid by Skywest's biggest shareholder, Singapore based Captive Vision Capital, amid disputed allegations Skywest chief financial officer Craig Lovelady had passed confidential information to CVC.

Mr Lovelady alleges that any information passed to CVC was done with the knowledge of Skywest chief executive Scott Henderson. Mr Henderson vigorously denies that charge.

Despite the Virgin Blue move, Skywest chairman Pat Ryan was yesterday upbeat on the public stock offering, saying it would be launched this year.

"It will be sooner than later and certainly this year."

Mr Ryan would not specify the amount of the float but dismissed media speculation of a $10 million raising.

Skywest's third Fokker 100 is due to arrive in Perth shortly and it is expected that it will replace the airline's first F100.

But Mr Henderson said the airline had an option to retain the first Fokker 100 "if we can find work for it". One option is work from Woodside Petroleum, which is expected to continue a policy of giving at least 30 per cent of its travel contract to Qantas competitors, although this work may go to Virgin Blue.

Skywest has launched innovative routes in Western Australia linking Perth, Exmouth and Broome with jet services, along with Darwin.

Virgin Blue spokesperson Amanda Bolger said the new services were the result of support and demand from Western Australians.

TIMMEEEE
4th Aug 2004, 23:04
Judging by the severe financial pressure Virgin Blue is under, I wonder whether this route is prudent after all.

Share price crashing (yes - it crashed severly yesterday) and a number of endemic problems will put the management team at VB under the microscope as well as under severe pressure.

Introducing what will be a loss making route for a period of time is something VB simply does not need.

Capn Bloggs
5th Aug 2004, 00:36
Go North, you said:(Skywest) They have most of the mining/contract work Please explain?!;)

alidad
5th Aug 2004, 01:42
Skywest is digging a lot of big holes for themselves but I don't recall them having too many contracts to fly to them....

topend3
5th Aug 2004, 02:22
(Skywest) They have most of the mining/contract work

i think skywest have a small contract delivering crew to an offshore outfit out of bme, they transfer to a chopper, they also have atwood eagle contract into learmonth.

cunninglinguist
5th Aug 2004, 05:31
Jee Bloggs, I thought you guys had a bit of mining work yourselves......telfer, barrimunya, murrin, leinster, mt.keith, newman, paraburdoo, and all in a 64+ seat jet, dont tell me you guys have lost al that to skywest ;)

I guess when you get the DC9, QF will really be able to cut the guts out of places like BRM;)

GoNorth
5th Aug 2004, 07:13
Sorry.....contract is a little misleading

Bloggs you don't really expect me to give Skywests client information out now do you :) No I don't work for Skywest. Think of what mines are in the Kimberley (Can you name any?). How do you think the workers get there??? Not everyone who travels to Broome sits on Cable Beach watching the sun set.

The chopper work finished a wee while ago.

QF cut the guts out of BME?? :rolleyes: Qlink is the only one that has cut services to Broome since the competition has heated up. What's going to happen when Virgin start from Perth?

Stick Pusher
5th Aug 2004, 07:13
"Virgin's new Broome sweeps Skywest aside"
By Geoffrey Thomas

A yes yet again we see the sound writing of Mr GT raise it's ugly head. Didn't realise that it doesn't seem include QF in the title....? Some sensationalist headline grabbing perhaps?

Also I seem to remember that the title of the story is suppose to reflect what written below the title? I believe that at least 11 of the lines (in the above article posted by Wirraway) are not related to the articles title... but wouldn't want that to get in the way of a good story to meet the word quota.

Cunning, believe that XR fly to Broome 6 times a week in their own right.;)

P.S believe the route is been well supported for XR - good stuff!

commander adama
5th Aug 2004, 07:50
Hmmm...not sure if the nail will be in Skywests coffin. They have most of the mining/contract work and seeing as virgin will be arriving Broome in the late arvo/night (can't transfer) they have little to fear.

Go North

You obviously have no idea and very poor knowledge of the West. You will find that NJS and Skippers have most of the mining contracts. Skywest must be on the bones of their asses trying find a reasonable amount of work.

I very much doubt Qantas are shaking and in fact probably looking forward to the confrontation.

Capt Claret
5th Aug 2004, 08:38
GoNorth

Not only can Bloggs name some, he probably flies to many, regularly. I know he took me to one once. :}

GoNorth
5th Aug 2004, 09:00
commander adama

Ditto... you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. What mining contracts do Skippers and NJS have in the Kimberley? NJS have nothing. Skippers have a couple using one conquest out of Broome (with one pilot based there). Skippers do not serve any mines in the Kimberley from Perth. The topic is about Broome not elsewhere.

Not saying qantas main are shaking but I certainly wouldn't bet against seeing several Qlink services go with the introduction of Virgin. Not all but some.

Not only can Bloggs name some, he probably flies to many, regularly. I know he took me to one once.

Sorry...I doubt that very much. These strips are a little too short for his aircraft :ok:

The Kimberley gents is a little further north of the Goldfields and Pilbara :p

Ralph the Bong
6th Aug 2004, 02:44
Hmmm... I would say that VB are not intent on operating PH-BRM in order to make money; they probably wont. This will make 3 Jet carriers servicing a town of, what, 8,000 people.

The real intent here is to discourage investors from the Skywest float. That fact that Skywest has a High Capacity jet AOC means that this company has the potential to evolve as a long term rival on other routes. It is this potential for Skywests' growth that VB intends to nip in the bud. QF must be overjoyed to look on and see VB spend their own money to do the dirty work.

To the people and businesses of Broome this move by VB is hardly cause for celebration. It is impossible that the market can sustain 3 jet carriers on this thin route characterised by low yeilds. It would be sad if the small, regional carrier withdraws from the route and the current VB woes cause them to do likewise. This senario would leave 1 operator on PH-BRM and would be a significant blow to the 'cowboy' tourism operators in the Kimberly( I had a holiday in the area some years ago and John Cleese could do a 'Fawlty Towers' on Broome, believe me!). Some of these clowns probably think that 3 operators is a good idea!

Such action by VB is what chararterises a pathalogical company; they move into a market knowing that they wont make money just to stuff the plans of a potential rival, then pull out to stop the loss that they are making, thus leaving the residents of BRM with a monopoly carrier and higher costs.

( I went on an 'Honest Sam's' 4 wheel drive tour and we got bogged in a dune. The owner/driver didn't even have a shovel to dig us out, his radio didn't work if we needed to call for help.. When I suggested that he let some of the air out of the tires to about 10psi, he said to me "What good will that do?" What a F$%g idiot..)

Wirraway
6th Aug 2004, 06:12
ABC Northwest Australia

Airline welcomes Virgin service
Friday, 6 August 2004

There has been an upbeat response from other airlines to Virgin Blue's new service linking Broome to Perth.

The airline will bring an extra 430 passengers to the resort town each week from September with a new service operating three-days-a-week.

There have been concerns about the possible effect of the increased pressure on Qantas and Skywest, which already operate on the route.

But Skywest's chief executive officer, Scott Henderson, says there is enough demand to support three carriers.

"When Virgin enters the market - we've seen historically they help grow the market - and we note that one of the things holding Broome back at the moment is the number of beds," he said.

"We think that having another carrier will help investors make that decision to put more money into growing the number of beds into Broome, so we think it's a pretty positive move actually."

topend3
6th Aug 2004, 06:12
ralph...your observations are highly presumptuous, virgin has started services to all manner of places that the experts said wouldn't work, coffs harbour, now ballina, mackay, rockhampton, now broome, the only route they have pulled out of since starting services in oz has been mt isa.

i am not sure that virgin are threatened by skywest nationally, that is drawing a bit of a long bow i feel.

WALLEY2
6th Aug 2004, 16:17
Gentlemen a facts:

In the high season Broome has 25,000 people and the surounding areas 5,000 or so- in the low season the town drops to 20,000.

But, this is irrelevent, 80% of the PAX are tourists.

Pax for July was 32,000.

Accomodation is a concern but 3 major resorts are about to be built.

Virgin capacity onto Broome is 3000 to 3,500 per month, an increase of 12%.

Broome PAX growth historically is around 15% per annum.

Skywest has the Argyle diamond contract which uses a large portion of 1 A/C

via Broome, Skywest services Kimberly Diamonds, Salay malay(spelt wrong) and offshore drilling rigs.

cunninglinguist
7th Aug 2004, 02:20
So, VB are going to bring the unwashed masses to BRM ( have you seen outside a VB terminal lately ? ), I'm sure the back packer lodgings are going to be over flowing, or are the $59 fare grabbers going to be staying at cable beach at $300+ a night ?:p

Ralph, I tend to agree with you, if VB and skywest remained at there current numbers of flights, then maybe BRM could support 3 carriers, but we know that both those airlines will be looking to increase frequency and all that will do is reduce profit for everyone

SkySista
7th Aug 2004, 05:00
The airline will bring an extra 430 passengers to the resort town each week from September with a new service operating three-days-a-week.

That's assuming those flights will be full, of course :E

I don't pretend to know everything behind DJ's decision, but it does seem a bit too'convenient' to be starting services to BME as XR are getting the Broome-Darwin thing happening...

(just my 2c....)

Sky

Ralph the Bong
7th Aug 2004, 06:47
G'Day Top, I don't think that Skywest will threaten VB on a national level, but but from VBs' perspective, it makes sense to knock out any carrier that has the potential to rise as competition.

Is BNA getting a B737 service!!? My ghod! things have been changing while I've been away..

Walley 2, are you sure of the July fires? That equates to nearly 8,000 pax/week.(1000 per day)...These are pretty good growth rates that are projected. If these growth figures are true and given VBs' obvious concern at this carrier, it might be worth asking my stock broker for a propectus for the Skywest float.

:p

m-dot
7th Aug 2004, 08:28
Does anyone know what Skywests loads are in and out of Broome ??

Havent appeared to be large amounts of people getting on and off the F100. Will be a shame if Skywest have to pull out, but competition in th marketplace is healthy for most.

Im sure the people in BRM would much prefer to get on a 73 to Perth rather than the BA46.

OverRun
9th Aug 2004, 03:40
If there are three new resorts being built, then that should fix the lack of beds problem in Broome. Guessing 75 rooms each, that’s 450 beds extra. Using reasonable estimates of percent occupancy by air travellers (high) and for length of stay (shortish), and taking into account the wet/dry season effect of BME, the new hotels will easily support another 30-40,000 pax per year. That should cater for some growth for all the airlines serving BME.

So what will the real impact of VB be on Skywest? VB are offering a discount product flying at very 'low cost' times. Will the effect be the same as it was on all the other routes when VB came in? I think so - VB expand the market by picking up people who wouldn't normally make do the flight. For BME, that means the people who have been historically priced out of Broome – and who currently go on cheap packages to Penang, Singapore, Phuket and Bali, or drive down to Margaret River.

And as cunninglinguist says, the beds that the VB passengers will occupy are likely to be the cheaper beds currently being used by ground travellers and backpackers. There are some 2-3000 such beds already in place according to the Tourist Office. So with Skywest offering quite a different product to VB (daytime flights, reasonable seating, etc), I don’t see VB cannibalising their traffic and I don't think its doom and gloom for Skywest. In fact the VBs marketing pizzazz might spin off for both Skywest and QF. My worry is that my wife will see the marketing, and start pushing me to take her for a holiday in Broome.

topend3
9th Aug 2004, 05:21
good comments all regarding growing the market, it will happen in broome and lets hope not to the detriment of any of the carriers (though i wouldn't mind seeing qf cut a few flights back :E

m-dot - xr's loads out of perth to broome have been chockas for the last few months, can't get a seat, and same the other way.

when i was going down to perth a few weeks back i got bumped at bme ex drw and had to ride home in the jumpseat:O groundstaff informed me there were no seats on either carrier for the next week, this is common in the dry, but come the wet it's a different story - problem with a seasonal market....

gday ralph-heres the pr stuff re the ballina services, and daily too!!!

5 August 2004Virgin Blue Lands Jet Service In Ballina/Byron Bay
Virgin Blue will touch down at Ballina/Byron Bay Gateway Airport for the first time at 12.45pm today, with an aircraft full of eager visitors and locals, the first to sample the low fares, modern red jets and outstanding customer service that the airline will introduce every day from now on.

Today’s flight heralds the launch of Virgin Blue’s daily services into the far north coast region and a new era in aviation travel for Guests flying between Sydney and Ballina/Byron Bay, with the re-introduction of a jet aircraft on the route for the first time since the withdrawal of Ansett services.

Virgin Blue spokesperson Amanda Bolger said, “We are excited to be bringing our sleek aircraft into this region and are confident travellers will appreciate the efficiency and comfort of our modern 737 jets. We also hope the low fares and the Virgin Blue style of service will appeal to those people who value friendly and reliable service that leaves them with money to spend when they get to their destination”.

The inaugural flight Guests and local dignitaries will enjoy Virgin Blue’s surprise in-flight launch activities as well as a special welcome when they land, with local producers putting on a “Tasting the region” celebration welcome event.

Among the producers are three local suppliers who are already on-board Virgin Blue. Madura Teas and Byron Bay Cookies have been included on Virgin Blue’s in-flight menu for some time, while the carrier is also poised to introduce muesli produced by Byron based Brookfarm. Other local producers to join in the welcome celebrations at the airport include Abruzii Organics, Bangalow Pork, Lyrebird Foods, MacKella Range Coffee, Madura Tea, Nirvana Coffee, Pirlos, Tridosha and Zentvelds Coffee.

Students from Ballina High School are also expected be on hand today to meet the inaugural flight’s First Officer, David Beard, who grew up in Ballina and developed his passion for flying in the High School’s two year elective Aviation Studies course.

Virgin Blue has been heartened by strong forward bookings for flights to and from Ballina/Byron Bay and is confident the route will be a popular one.

The majority of flyers are expected to be travelling for pleasure to enjoy the delights of both the inland and coastal towns or to visit family and friends, but far north coast business travellers are also set to reap the benefits. Virgin Blue’s new flight will provide them with a speedy and cost effective method of travelling to the state capital and beyond to go about their business.

Amanda Bolger continued, “There has been strong lobbying from both the tourism and business communities for Virgin Blue to begin services and also from Richard Branson following his last, and clearly enjoyable, holiday in the region. From past experience in regional centres like Coffs Harbour, we have proven that non-metropolitan communities can sustain a jet service and we look forward to generating more and more traffic not just to and from Sydney, but also beyond, with easy connecting flights available from Adelaide, Cairns, Christchurch (NZ) and Melbourne.”

The low fare carrier will operate a daily service with the flight departing Sydney at 11.35am, landing at Ballina/Byron Bay Gateway Airport at 12.45pm before turning around and departing Ballina at 1.15pm, touching down at Sydney at 2.30pm. Fares for Virgin Blue flights between Ballina and Sydney start from $85* one way on the internet.

Ralph the Bong
9th Aug 2004, 06:43
Thanks Top, I always enjoy reading Amanda Bolgers' PR 'spin' on things. She's the world's best practice in this department since the Iraqi Information Minister was captured.:p

Sperm Bank
9th Aug 2004, 07:11
You guys are wasting your time flying aeroplanes. You are obviously very gifted at marketing, yield management, route analysis and a plethora of other wonderful analytical type processes. How many of you have got a qualification of ANY kind? Walley and the obvious intellectual people need not respond. But clowns like Raaaaaalf and Cunni-no-brains, please detail your emminent qualifications................

Yes I thought so. NIL.... Just too damned dumb for your own good. My god you blokes are sad. My mates In the industry cringe at what you people write. EVERY time a press release or ANY other info about Virgin pops up, you idiots let the verbal diarrhoea flow freely. As I say, very sad!

topend3
9th Aug 2004, 08:52
sperm boy- i dont fly anything, in fact my qualifications include everything you mentioned - you stick to the flying and i'll deal with the numbers

cunninglinguist
9th Aug 2004, 08:58
Ah sperm bank, its a grave pity that your biological father went to one for a tug rather than use the toilet like everyone else, he may have saved us from your brilliant non biased invective, you are an absolute credit to your parents.

BTW, feel free to post your credentials, other than brain surgeon that is.

sinala1
9th Aug 2004, 09:07
Perhaps it would be more appropriate to stick to the topic folks?!? :rolleyes:

SkySista
9th Aug 2004, 15:08
I'll second top's assessment - last couple times I've picked up friends from the airport, the Broome or Darwin flights have come in, and there's been above 75% on every one I've seen....

..which is a lot better than a 73 carrying 12 pax ADL-PER that my mother flew on..... :}

Sky

WALLEY2
9th Aug 2004, 16:00
Skywest Broome-Darwin is going very well, as stated 75% or around that and during school breaks etc You can not get on. Broome-Perth is not as strong but well above a break even level and heading towards 70%

Most satisfying is that Airnorth numbers are still very good Broome-Kunnunurra.

Yes, BME a/p has over 1000 pax movements per day, QF is still the main player and on their routes they are doing very well, all are performing well above their break even point.

The effect on Broome of this plus Virgin?

good ones are:

Small business is booming
Builders are building
tourism options are increasing with Kimberley add-ons
Return tourist rate is still exceptional
Jobs are increasing
New schools private and public and other gov services

bad ones

Real estate up 45% yes 45% in price in 18 months(makes first home buyers face $350,000 new and not much under $300,000).
Traffic on key roads is high though they will hang the first person who suggests a traffic light!! However new roads and upgrades are under construction.
Airport $8,000,000 upgrade to cope for next 10 yrs may only cope for 5yrs.

It is still Broome no building over 10m. No houses(3 existing) along the prestine coast-18km. Broome colours, sunsets and Broometime-relax feeling still there.

I am not positive but I think VB can expand the market though yield on QF and XR will fall. VB will, I think, go daily at the start of next season. This is not a problem if accom is expanding, already I am advised the Road Traffic is down on last year, I think it is the bus market that may be most effected.

For this year as the last-caravan-overflow-option the A/P spare land was not required. Yet every one is having their best season ever.

Well that is the picture, I have never seen anything like it. Though I suspect Cairne's boom was bigger, and Broome needs and will be restrained from the excesses that to some spoilt that product.

I think the A/C VB is using replaces the ADL-PER flight, is this correct?

ps I am sure ,if you asked him, Sadams information minister is just taking a short holiday and enjoying the personal attentions the staff have been kind enough to heap upon him. Though the view could be improved upon.

topend3
10th Aug 2004, 12:50
walley,

yes that is correct, the per-bme replaces the adl-per arvo sector.

your figures re the loads between per-bme aren't so correct, lately xr have been flying chockas every day per-bme and not far off on the way back.

WALLEY2
10th Aug 2004, 14:20
Topend,

I was talking averages and as you say for some periods they are chockers. Flew BME-PER on Sat had 63 POB. However Sat is not as popular as Fri or Sun so between the two of us we have it covered!!

Must say service was excellent, hot lunch great and the extra seat pitch most noticable. TheF100 is very quiet in the front half of the cabin, more than I anticipated.

So I for one do hope pax booms as all three carriers deserve to succeed.

Ralph the Bong
25th Aug 2004, 08:46
Just been on the 'net trying to book a return flight PER-BRM-PER for 1 week R'N'R at Cable beach in late Sept/early Oct..

It seems all the DJ $149 fares have sold out. Available Virgin tickets are: Blue saver-$199 out, $229 back = $428 return.
Flexisaver-$399 each way= $798 return.
Fully flexible- $439 each way= $838 return.

QF tickets: red-e-deal-$456 return(in 146).
Super saver-$676 return
Full-flexible-$620 return

Skywest tickets are: Off Peak-$458:50 return.
Skydeal-$518 return.
Standard-$847:90 return.
But you get a free meal and coffee on Skywest, not with VB where meals were $8:50 and coffee $3:50 per cup last time I flew.

Skywest gets my custom in this instance. I dont want to fly to BME in a 146! (with QF). On a sector, I would eat 1 meal and 2 cups of coffee. With VB that will cost me $31. Add that to the VB airfare of $428=$459 or 50 cents more than Skywest. And I dont have to listen to birthday greetings and other self-congratulatory guff. The QF full-flexible ticket seems good value compared to the similar product offered by DJ and Skywest.

I realise that there are a miriad of fares and conditions on each ticket sold and it is often difficult to compare 'apples with apples' when it come to ticketing costs. Interestingly, the cheapie tickets are all about the same cost. However, I am surprised that skywest has a very competitive price compared with VB, given all the PR hype that Amanda Bolger has come out with and given DJs' marketing as the low cost airline. I recall dj-737(the roo-rooter) saying somthing like "Virgin will blow skywest out of the water". I don't think so. To do so VB will have to do much better than what they currently offer.

Stick Pusher
25th Aug 2004, 09:25
Don't forget the far superior legroom on the F-100 with every seat, so no need to pay for extra legroom for an emergency row seat, and possibly better times than virgin... and water is free :ok: ;)

SkySista
26th Aug 2004, 05:54
F-100 seat room - heck yes!!! Got a chance to look round that bird, the leg room is luxury compared to DJ's. If XR flew to SYD, I'd go with them, because every time I've gone with Virgin, I've been lumped either in front of the exit row which seats don't recline, and some :mad: in front insists on pushing their seat the whole way back. 3hr 45 is not fun with a seat jammed into your legs (and I'm only 5 foot something - feel sorry for the tall ones in the population.

Or, have been seated next to person who spills over their seat into mine. Why should I have to ask to move..... they should offer it when I'm on an aircraft that's only 1/3 full! :rolleyes:

(Last bit of rant, 9 times out of 10, they've run out of my "meal" choice because of 'supply probs' - oh, you mean the catering guys forgot to put the containers on again?! please..... once or twice maybe, but all the time? sheesh...

As far as the XR/DJ competition, if the regional can do a better deal than the "low-cost", doesn't that say something? (Not to mention the XR service is generally better..... ;)

Sky

Traffic
26th Aug 2004, 10:26
If Mr & Mrs Traffic Senior are bellwether consumers then Skywest will always keep the paying punters.

They have a place in Broome and have used both Qantas and Skywest. Qantas just the once but that was more than enough. If the route ultimately reverts to a monopoly and that is QF then the place will be sold.

Qantas monoploy equals death to Broome.

Traffic Senior has 30,000 hours in his log book and has sworn he will never ever get on another QF a/c. Can't say I can fault his judgement.

The Enema Bandit
26th Aug 2004, 21:13
So you would sell a property just because you don't like an airline?? That's pretty drastic. How come you don't like them?

D'pirate
27th Aug 2004, 05:59
And you can now get a fresh cup of Dome coffee brewed onboard Skywest (for free!) :cool:

Capn Bloggs
27th Aug 2004, 13:02
Bong,
I dont want to fly to BME in a 146!
Why not?

Ralph the Bong
28th Aug 2004, 04:35
Fair question; I've done a fair bit of paxing in the 146 when I was at AN. Flights down to Tassie in J class where quite pleasant, those up north not so. I remeber sitting in the jump-seat MK-BN and it took about 30 mins to get to FL200 (very hot day, heavy ship!). Getting around at M.65 in the 146 when the F100 is about 40kts faster means that I would spend 20 mins extra in the aeroplane with QF. All to save $2. No thanks!:uhoh:

Galley Power
10th Nov 2004, 02:51
Ralph the Bong

A 20 minute difference isn't that much when you have frequent flyers with Qantas (I presume you have? Every man and his dog does these days). As a FA, our service is quite good on the 146 with NJS/QantasLink! If you want to get there faster with points, what about the Qantas 737? Don't worry because the B717s are coming anyway from July next year, just hope we get em at NJS.

GP