PDA

View Full Version : Crashed Laptop

fueldump
4th Aug 2004, 05:48
I have an IBM X24 laptop with a partioned harddrive. One side of the partion is for the company side and the other is for my personal use. My problem is that it will not boot into the personel side. When I try to boot it starts with the intro page, then a blue page come up for a short time. It is only up for about 1sec so I cant read what it says, but I believe it says something about memory dump??? Then it goes back to the partion page and tries to start the company side. It will boot into the company side with no problem.

I have tried to start in safe mode but the result is still the same. The operating system is Windows 2000 profesional.

Thanks in advance guys
Fueldump

E-Liam
4th Aug 2004, 09:00
Hi Fueldump,

It can only boot up to the partition that contains the operating system. If you don't have dual boot, ie. a seperate operating on each drive or partition, then it can only boot to the one drive.

Please ask for more info if you need it.

Cheers

Liam

fueldump
4th Aug 2004, 09:58
Dear E-liam, the first page that comes up is Power Quest Boot Magic. This gives me the option to enter my private partition. This is the page that it keeps defaulting back to.
Cheers
Fueldump

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Aug 2004, 21:57
fueldump,

You could try to do a repair of Win2k on the personal use side. My guess is something happened to corrupt the OS. But without any further details, this is only a guess.

Take Care,

Richard

fueldump
5th Aug 2004, 07:59
Dear Richard,

What further details do you require? Would I need the Windows 2000 disk to enable me to repair the OP?

rgds
Fueldump

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Aug 2004, 13:01
fueldump,

You would need the Win2k CD. I would also check with the Power Quest Boot Magic Manual on how to install/repair the OS on one side of a partition without causing problems with the other. (The IT guys at your company should be able to help with this.) My guess is there are some pretty strong security measures that have been put in place on that Notebook.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I would have liked some more details on what exactly was happening in when it would fail on the personal side. Any error messages, etc. or even the last file to load when it would freeze in Safe Mode.