PDA

View Full Version : Career Change

DETFIVEO
4th Aug 2004, 04:01
Im 33 years old and have been a Police Officer for 10 years. I no longer enjoy my job and have always wanted to fly helicopters. I currently earn $70, 000 as a cop and in less then 10 years I will lock in a pension that will pay 50% of my salary for life. However, I cant collect it till age 50. Thats 17 years from now. Im married with a 13year old step son.

I currrently enjoy great job security, good benefits and good pay. Should I give it all up for my dream of flying helicopters?? My wife supports me and will do whatever I want. If it were just me I'd quit and take my chances, but I have a family to think about too. Im not happy being the Police. I feel I will regret not chasing my dream, but Id also regret not waiting 10 years to lock my pension in. Any advice would be helpful, its driving me crazy.

Capt. J
4th Aug 2004, 04:15
Have you thought of flying helicopters for the police force or is that what you're thinking right now?

I'd imagine flying a helicopter for the police force would give you the same benefits, etc. If you really want to, I'd say go for. I'm very sure there's a helicopter sector in the police force. Good luck and keep chasing your dream :D

Capt. J - Still a student! :rolleyes:

avrodamo
4th Aug 2004, 22:21
Well im 10 years in doing the same as you, except in the UK. Im the same age, with pretty much the same circumstances. All i can say is that there have been times when i have thought i must be mad, but it really would be awful to sit back in years to come and say " I wish i had gone for that flying thing". In our profession you see things that make you think life is very short indeed, and every oppurtunity has to be seized. Do it....or you will never know!!

wbryce
5th Aug 2004, 08:43
why not learn to fly on your days off?

once your suitable qualified, then start asking yourself these questions, maybe suck up to your boss in hope he will transfer you to the helo side of things! :)

DETFIVEO
5th Aug 2004, 18:19
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE SO FAR..... UNFORTUNATELY MY DEPARTMENT DOES NOT HAVE AN AIR UNIT SO DOING BOTH IS NOT AN OPTION. ALSO THERE IS ONLY ONE PLACE THAT DOES HELO TRAINING IN THE CHICAGO AREA AND FROM WHERE I AM IT IS NOT EASY TO GET TO. HOWEVER, IT MAY BE MY ONLY CHOICE. KEEP THE ADVICE COMING...THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.