PDA

View Full Version : Air Jamaica Express

Dnapps
3rd Aug 2004, 03:32
Hello everyone, I'm trying to get a job with Air Jamaica Express and I wanted to know what the requirements, pay, and benefits are. If anyone out there has any questions please pm me.

Thanx

Dnapps

Panama Jack
3rd Aug 2004, 16:18
The Jamaican Airline Pilots Association (JALPA) represents the pilots of Air Jamaica and Air Jamaica Express. You may want to surf their website starting here (http://www.jalpa.org/news.html#hiring) for an idea on requirements . . . they also have e-mail contact and chat from this page. (http://www.jalpa.org/)

AIRLINE PILOT

QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:

Formal Education: Minimum five (5) GCE O'Levels or CXC* passes including Mathematics and English.
(*) CXC Grade III not accepted as 'pass' prior to June 1998. Preference will be given to applicants with more advanced qualifications (Tertiary Level)

Medical: Physical Fit
20/20 vision with or without correction
Must pass a thorough medical examination by our Company Doctor

Height: 5'4" or taller

Licences & Endorsements: Jamaican Airline Transport Pilot Licence, or
Jamaican Commercial Pilot Licence with Multi-engine IFR rating or ATPL
Minimum of 750 hours, including 150 hours PIC. *Applicants will be expected to participate in evaluations, including Simulator and Phychometric, prior to employment.
Performance 'A' or Equivalent (U.S. ATPL)
Current Instrument Rating

Citizenship: Jamaican
Domicile: Company's discretion

Applications should be sent or faxed no later than APRIL 30th, 2004 to:

The Personnel Manager
Air Jamaica Holdings Limited
72-76 Harbour Street
Kingston

Fax No: (876) 922-9549

mercuray
3rd Aug 2004, 23:48
Air Jamaica Express Requirements. I love it!! 20/20 vision! Whotz that all about then? Are they operating Eurofighter Typhoons or Similar?
Maybe it is that they would not want anybody who could not 100% appreciate all that beautiful azure sea & those endless blue skys!
Or maybe it is that oh so busy Caribbean Airspace?

Sorry. Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit,I know. And Yes, I wear specs. (But I have managed to fly high speed jets for 15 years in European airspace without bumping into any of my chums.Mind you,they are good specs.....

Actually,come to think of it, I only ever got 4 "O" levels. (I guess it shows)

Safe Flying.

Panama Jack
4th Aug 2004, 05:07
mercuray, read the vision requirement again . . . very very carefully. . . ;)

Jamaican me crazy! :E

mercuray
4th Aug 2004, 20:35
Panama Jack,

Apologies. See what you say.
I should not get on to this site after an evening p**s up.

In my defence,it is not exactly phrased in the ideal way,but point taken.

Good Luck.

superman_32
31st Aug 2004, 06:51
They mention citizenship, that means it is for locals only and not ex-pats. I am a Brit with 2200 TT and a UK ATPL, no jet experience or even a turbo-prop experience. Would that proclude me from applying?

JAFO2
31st Aug 2004, 07:43
Citizenship: Jamaican!!!.......I think that answers your question! Having said that though, they have, in the past, employed other Caribbean Nationals. Gook luck anyway.

Captain Stable
31st Aug 2004, 13:48
Any, and I mean any airline's recruitment requirements are only ever a temporary measure. As soon as they can't find the people they need with the stipulated qualifications, their stated requirements change.

However, expat pilots need to beware. If, having employed you, your employers later find they can recruit pilots from among the local population only, your position will become much more tenuous.

Auto Relight
3rd Sep 2004, 22:14
I used to fly in Jamaica, knew the Doctor who examines the pilots(Air Jamaica) etc. etc. Had lots of time and relevent experience, was a resident and STILL was SOL.

They are firm on the citizenship thing with the odd expetion of a contract Capt. or two every once in a while. As far as Express goes, I know an Aussie working there now, and he came with a Twotter PPC and experience - says he has little hope of moving to the Dash.

It's so damn hot there that sitting on the ramp in unairconditioned planes is torture. Very nice people though. Experss Twotters don't leave the Island very often and flight are VERY short.

AR

Dnapps
5th Sep 2004, 08:54
They stopped flying the Twotter since last year July. I used to fly down there for one of the small charter companies. As you said, they are very strict with the nationals only rule. There are alot of Jamaican pilots down there; and more keeping coming every few months.