PDA

View Full Version : Excel Graph

pilotwolf
2nd Aug 2004, 18:03
Help!

I m trying to put a graph - it's actually a weight and balance chart - into an Excel document.

But no matter how hard I try I can't seem to insert simple graph with the values against the axis...

It ll let me plot charts from data but that's not what I want to do..

Any idea please?

PW

Roger That
2nd Aug 2004, 19:24
PW,

I would try posting here (http://www.exceltip.com/) for all my Excel queries. I've found them very useful in answering questions such as this (though sorry I don't know the answer myself !...)

RT

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Aug 2004, 22:38
I do this sort of thing a lot, Excel will usually let you - but it isn't always very obvious how. Could you explain in a bit more detail what you're trying to do, and I'll see if I can help.

G

pilotwolf
3rd Aug 2004, 03:50
OK - a bit more detail...

Trying to insert a C of G chart.

So looking to have a graph paper type picture and want to be able to attach a scale on each axis that is aligned with the appropriate line on the chart... this is where I keep getting stuck.

I can label 'cells' along both axis but not 'gridlines' and Excel will create a chart using data in the cells but it doesn't put the right scale on.

Obviously I also need to draw lines on the 'graph'.

And before anyone suggests scanning the original and inserting a picture the original copy is too poor.

Pw

The Nr Fairy
3rd Aug 2004, 05:19
PW:

Drop me a line to the email, I'll forward you a CG spreadsheet when I get home tonight.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Aug 2004, 15:11
If I read this correctly, you want to generate a blank graph with the right scales.

Define a line in Excel from the bottom left to top right of the area that you want a graph of, ideally in columns with 4 points or more.

Use the chart wizard to create a graph with this line in it. Adjust the axes to give the grid spacing and labelling intervals you want by double clicking on them and following the options. I'd personally also right click in the graph to change the background colour to white.

Then right click on the data on the graph. Select "format data series", and for both line and data select "none" under the "patterns" tab.

Click OK.

You can then delete the key on the left hand side, add using drawing tool any labels or lines that you want, then cut and paste into word.

G

pilotwolf
7th Aug 2004, 22:22
Sorry for the delay in thanking everyone...

PPRUNE does it again! Thanks to all who have helped.

PW