PDA

View Full Version : Pilot SHORTAGE reduces experince level requirement for jobs.

Kaptin M
1st Aug 2004, 00:31
Signs that the pilot shortage is kicking in, are starting to become evident, as per the following email received by me and several colleagues over the past week.

With regards to the imminent requirement with Atlas Blue and I am delighted that we can now forward more details to you and your collegues.

Description & requirements are as follows :

Sigmar Aviation, on behalf of Atlas Blue (wholly owned subsidiary of Royal Air Maroc) requires a number of B737 Classic Captains and First Officers for a 6 month to 3 year renewable contract based in Marrakech, and or Agidar (Morocco). Atlas Blue will begin revenue operations with 6 aircraft on the

1st of November and will have 13 aircraft by the middle of 2005.

Interested applicants should have the following minimum requirements:

- Current JAR Licence (Or European equivalent)
- Current Class 1 Medical
- Current LPC
- Valid Passport
- Current B737 Classic Captain

- 2500 hours total time

- 1000 hours on type

- Current B737 Classic First Officer

- Minimum 400 hours on type

The pay rate in relation to the pilots will be :

- €5,000 for Captain
- €3,300 for First officers

- Perdiem @ €1,200 per month in addition to this.

The assignment is based on 80 block hours per month with hours in excess being paid pro-rata up to a maximum of 100 block hours a month and 900 block hours per year.

- All flights are planned to return to either Agadir or Marrakesh on a daily basis.

- 8 days per month off will be standard in addition to annual leave accrual. 4 days of which will be provided consecutively.

- Hotel and ground transport will be provided for the first 6 month with a recommendation of an accomodation allowance provided for long term stay.

- As we are assembling the initial data for our client we would appreciate your response in relation to :

1. Whether you are interested in the assisgnment.

2. Whether you are availiable for assessment in Casablanca, if so what notice peroid you would require.

3. Whether we can forward details on your behalf to Atlas Blue to begin the assessment/ validation process.

If know of any collegues whom may be interested, forwarding these details to them would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any queries and/or are interested in applying please contact myself, Richard Carolan or Richard Wall here at Sigmar Aviation.

Kindest Regards

Nicole Skipsey

Operations Executive

8 Dawson Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Tel: + 353 1 474 4666

Direct: + 353 1 474 4694

Fax: + 353 1 474 4640

www.sigmaraviation.com

With a follow-up email a week later:-

This is a follow up email from a recent job posting – B737 300/400/500 (Classic) Captains & First officers.

Just to confirm my contact details below. You are welcome to call me on my direct line + 353 1 474 4694. If you have any queries or would like to be put forward for the postion. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Nicole Skipsey

Operations Executive

8 Dawson Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Tel: + 353 1 474 4644

Direct: + 353 1 474 4694

Fax: + 353 1 474 4640

www.sigmaraviation.com

The Dunnunda & Godzone forum also indicates that Singapore based JETSTAR ASIA have had to resort to 250 hour (total time) pilots to fly as F/O's on their A320's
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138369

411A
1st Aug 2004, 00:43
Hmmm,

Well, all I can say is, I have trained quite a few 250 hour (approximately) new First Officers on heavy jet transports, and found that most did quite well indeed.
It is the calibre of training that counts, not necessarily the total hours.

Should not be a problem for Kaptin M, surely.:confused: :p

MOR
1st Aug 2004, 01:04
Oh, Please. Pilot shortage? I'm sure pilots are just queuing up to be based in Marrakech and Agidar - you'd have to be pretty desperate to take that assignment - or a lover of third-world living conditions.

No thanks...

And as for 250 hour Airbus F/O's, so what? Many airlines have cadet programs that do essentially the same thing. I'm not sure why that should be a sign of a pilot shortage either, particularly as that airline is based in the Third World as well.

Smokie
1st Aug 2004, 01:34
And the definition of "Third World " is ?????

I know........................Does anybody else???

Probably very few, but I suspect you will all be tapping away on yore KeYBBoaAArDs tOOOfiNd WaTTTit Reeeely iZZ

Be very careful of using "that one"

Lites Bloooo Tuchtbpaper staans welll bach.

Big Jubs are Spectacular..............

dingo084
1st Aug 2004, 02:08
What pilot shortage, I'm 6'2 an a bit"

ding:{

Kaptin M
1st Aug 2004, 03:15
411A, I'm under no illusions that your experience far and away exceeds that of any other pilots singularly AND collectively! :p

However in my humble experience, I haven't previously heard of a major employer hiring 250 hour total time pilots straight into the right seat of a 2 crew jet transport aircraft.
Certainly cadets were recruited as S/O's, to "fly" in the jump seat for x number of years, before undertaking F/O transition training.
The airline I am currently with employs pilots with less than 500 hrs tt as direct entry F/O's - however this is due to the severe shortage of experienced pilots available in this Asian country. From intake to check-out, the time frame is almost 2 years though, and even then they have quite severe restrictions on their actual handling as PF.

Now to add some further support to the looming "pilot shortage", I was told that SQ pilots have had their previous pay cuts re-instated PLUS an additional 15% INCREASE in salary.

With all the :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: that we (pilots) have been dished out over the previous decade or so, I can only say, it's about time!

MOR
1st Aug 2004, 03:21
Third World=Belfast for you Smokie! ;)

gb777
1st Aug 2004, 03:38
Kaptin M : Correction

The SQ paycut from July 2003 till March 2004 has been paid back
as a lump sum, and increased with 15% (of that lump sum !, impact on salary is 15%x15% = 2.25%)

The paycut (+/- 17%) CONTINUES as of today, with no outlook of
reinstatement, as long as no new collective agreement has been signed.

It is true that SIA cargo has problems filling in their vacancies
and that Tiger is being seconded by SIA ans Silkair pilots, as
recruitment is verrrry slow.

Take care (back to lurking)
gb

Kato747
1st Aug 2004, 04:35
Whoa, whoa, whoa...am a bit confused here.

Is this ad for basing in AGIDAR or AGADIR, have landed in Agadir but never heard of Agidar.

Any Morrocan experts out there? Where's Max Rathan when you need him???

411A
1st Aug 2004, 05:31
Well, I dunno Kaptin M.
Seems to me I remember clearly that SQ had new pilots (250 hours or so) directly trained as First Officers on Boeing 707 equipment.
Gosh, come to think of it, I actually flew with 'em...and strangely enough, survived.
Of course, in those days they were trained to proficiency...as in 30+ circuits in the aeroplane (not to mention advanced sim training), before they were released for line training.

Now, if these guys could to do it then, on an aircraft that was not all that easy to fly(especially with an outboard engine failed at rotation), why would the same caliber of guy have trouble on an A320?
Yeah, I know it's an Airboos, but even so, seems to me that this would not present all that many problems.

Joyce Tick
1st Aug 2004, 07:01
I've trained guys with less than 200 hours for A320,B737 and 757/767. If properly trained they are perfectly safe and well able to recover the aircraft in the event of a captain failure. It's been going on for years - in major airlines too (though not in the States)

Capt. J
1st Aug 2004, 08:22
I thought there had always been more pilots than jobs? (In Australia).

Does this mean in 3 years time, the employment prospects for airline pilots would be even better and airline requirements would lower :D :D :D

Capt. J

RAT 5
1st Aug 2004, 11:32
Everyone seems to have locked on to the F/O scale. What about 2500hrs for command. I think Kap M. might have been alluding to that figure; it being the more significant.
Some years ago 5000 was the EU norm in charter, then it lowered to 4000, and now a B737 command can be had in the LCA's for 3000. There's more to commanding than flying better than the F/O, and that is not always the case, anyway. When out and about and needing to make all the decisions off your own bat, in the air and on the ground (often) it requires experience. That takes time and exposure to the variety of problems. That equates to hours in the seat. Perhaps 2500 is too thin?

M609
1st Aug 2004, 11:38
I haven't previously heard of a major employer hiring 250 hour total time pilots straight into the right seat of a 2 crew jet transport aircraft.

Add Scandinavian Air Lines and Ryanair to that too.

(Yeah,yeah, dont't start the RYR is a 2 bit operation rant agian ;) )

Joyce Tick
1st Aug 2004, 15:07
1000 hours for command is enough for the some mature, calm professionals whereas 5000 hours is not enough for some other, less gifted, pilots I've come across!

ijp
1st Aug 2004, 18:32
Back in the early eightys at Air Lanka we had 300 hr f/os and the ones that could not fly were f/es. If capt was lost, flight would continue to the smoking hole. Now several of these kids are senior capts at Singapore.

411A
1st Aug 2004, 21:57
ijp,

Just how many 'smokin' holes' did UL have then?:confused: :confused:

Skylion
1st Aug 2004, 23:08
BA Cadets presumably come on line at about 250 hours or less as do any going straight from Oxford, Cabair etc to an airline. Doesnt seem to present problems if the aptitude is correctly assessed. As for left had seat at 2,500 hours that would depend on the individual, but clearly not impossible. Probably quite a few on UK turboprops and they can be just as difficult,- or more difficult,- to fly.

Orion Man
1st Aug 2004, 23:20
Pilot shortage my arse.

Read about the poor souls at FYR fearing for their jobs as that charleton MOL threatens to get in eastern european guys to replace them if they try to get union recognition to try to protect themselves against eroding T & Cs.

Nice place Morocco at the moment - full of Islamic extremists. Don't think I'll be applying somehow.

B737NG
2nd Aug 2004, 04:08
That is not new sience in the industrie. It had have happen in the past:

We require 10.000 hrs in total, 4.000 command and and and....
when all +10.000 hrs guys do not want to leave the present job and the others who where absorbed from the market then the demand was lowered until the seats where filled. Then the answer from the same person on the phone was:

How many hours you have ? ah` sorry but our requirement are... and you have just below that. So please call again when you have the hours.
Today the deliveries are increasing and the left seat guys are not risking to leave a secure position or do not risk any promise from fragile and fraudend Start ups, I did not say cock-ups,nooo :sad:
There is allways a market of contract pilots and of start ups....
operators as the same as new enthusiast who want to fly and do a lot to get a seat. To be a pilot is a profession and passion. It needs both to stay long term in the industrie.

NG

Cap 56
2nd Aug 2004, 09:45
A 411

As you have stated, I have also seen some low hour F/O doing just fine as you did, as long as all is pretty standard.

As soon as you get out of the standard profiles the low hour F/O can get lost very quickly.

Usually you can see it happening miles from touchdown. The fact that the B 707 was a conventional plane as opposed to the nowadays FMC equipped acft is to a certain extend to the disadvantage of the pilots being trained today.

On a two man cockpit long haul, fatigue can be a serious factor and you really have to have a lot of hours under your belt to be able to anticipate.

As Boeing has stated when they introduced the B 777 around 1995. “This aircraft needs a crew with very high experience” I think that Malaysian Airlines have just proved that in Zurich.

I think that today there is truly a shortage of pilots with 6 to 7000 hrs command.

Cheers

CrossBars
2nd Aug 2004, 15:17
“This aircraft needs a crew with very high experience” I think that Malaysian Airlines have just proved that in Zurich.

Sounds strange to me! All I ever heard about the 777 is that it’s easy as hell to fly. Also that Boeing would make such a degrading statement about its own aircraft. Here’s our new, modern and technically advanced 777…. But you better put a very experienced crew behind the controls, because she’s a nightmare to handle???

And I think you jump to conclusion about what caused the tailstrike to happen. Just because the FO was PF and that the rumour tells us that it was a “training flight”, doesn’t necessarily mean that it was the FO’s fault. Let’s wait for the report before we judge!

About the “confused low-hours FO’s”, I would just like to say that I don’t think it’s necessarily due to the low hours. It’s a totally new environment when you step into a flight deck of an “airliner” for the first time, regardless if you have 300 or 3000 h general aviation flying. You might be better at handling an airplane if you have flown 3000 h on small SE or ME at a remote airport lifting skydivers, but you will not for that matter be better prepared for an approach at a busy airport with a million procedures, STAR’s and traffic. The FO’s must get their experience somewhere! If it’s in a turbo-prop or a 777 makes less difference than who is sitting in the right seat. If the capt. Is there to help or to explain that they are inadequate… now that makes difference!

Cap 56
2nd Aug 2004, 15:35
Sounds strange to me! All I ever heard about the 777 is that it’s easy as hell to fly. Also that Boeing would make such a degrading statement about its own aircraft. Here’s our new, modern and technically advanced 777…. But you better put a very experienced crew behind the controls, because she’s a nightmare to handle???

Crossbars

1. The statement I made comes straight out a published Boeing document.

2. Never did I state that the F/O was at fault in the ZRH incident, the tread is merely about shortage of experianced crew, could also be captains. So calm down

Greetings

I would like to add that in training some airlines stick to the real minimum basic things and other bring you out of the envelope on purpose during an extensive, long and expensive training. They actually show you the limits in order to build confidence and knowledge.

It is not pleasant to experience this kind of things during normal operations on a two pilot wide body after 8, 9 hours of duty.

In the end it’s all about psychomotor capabilities, you have it or you don’t it may be improved by training but never acquired. You can not turn a donkey into a racehorse.

Sheep Guts
2nd Aug 2004, 16:02
Kaptain M,

However in my humble experience, I haven't previously heard of a major employer hiring 250 hour total time pilots straight into the right seat of a 2 crew jet transport aircraft.

I have " Air Jamaica" . It was a disaster! Aircraft Overruns ( landing on shorter parallel runways, Tail strikes, and the list goes on) , certain trainees being offcoursed because of no progression. Allthough some made it through relatively unscathed. The resultant action had the Airline increase its minimums to 750 HRS after increased pressure from the Governing Authority. But then this may as 411a suggest be a factor of bad training than general experience and ability.

Sheep

P.S. Ill sign on to Marakech. Just need the type and Ill be there tommorrow.

Whippersnapper
2nd Aug 2004, 17:25
So, Kaptain M, you have never heard of BA, Britannia, British Midland (now BMI), Monarch, Airtours (Mytravel), Air 2000, Monarch, Excel, easyJet , Ryanair or Astreus (formerly British World). All use currently, or have used in the past decade, cadets of either their own scheme or through facilities like CTC.

Experience is important, but a lot of ground can be made for up with good training and decent skippers who know when to play out the leash and when to tighten it back in, so that the new FOs can learn to think for themselves without drastic consequences if they get it wrong.

Cap 56
2nd Aug 2004, 18:28
Whippersnapper

I agree with you if you mean that this is done on a short haul narrow body.

I do believe that flying relatively short sectors is THE way to learn the trade, but would argue that that is not the case on the long haul error correction takes far more skill on a wide body than on a narrow one.

SR20flyDoc
2nd Aug 2004, 18:28
studi - As 411A mentioned, there's a huge difference between getting a frozen ATPL according to minimum legal requirements or doing two years of full time intensive training in a course specially designed to fly an airliner in a multi crew cockpit.

Of course this full time intensive training leaves them with a Multi Engine IR for Multipilot aircraft, absolutly not allowed to fly planes all by themselves like the demanding Single Engine Instrument planes (there is a separate JAA SEL/IR license needed for that stuff..... :p )

Marc Rich
2nd Aug 2004, 19:29
IMHO a a pilot shortage is slowly develloping in the ´less desirable´ locations of our little planet like Morocco. Recently was asked if I was interested in a BBJ job in Saudi Arabie without meeting the min requirements by a long shot. I turned it down as I´m not really interested to literally lose my head. For more info about this job, send me a PM.

But I´m still interested in any Caribbean based BBJ job, so if anyone has more info...LET ME KNOW!!! :cool:

Me thinks it´s too early to start speaking of a real "pilot shortage" but there is finally some movement in the market.

JW411
2nd Aug 2004, 19:29
My company has a policy of hiring young men and women with a CPL and around 300 - 400 hours.

I have been training them for five years or so and it has been a very positive experience. They come with no baggage like "we did it this way in BA/Danair etc" and they stick to SOPs incredibly well.

It has just been my great pleasure to upgrade two of them to command recently.

Loopy
2nd Aug 2004, 19:45
If you think SOPs can save your ass when push comes to shove then you need to consider your own credential as an instructor. Swiss air crash and many other incidents followed the SOPs, look what happened.

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
2nd Aug 2004, 20:00
CAP 56 ,would you care to enlighten us on that bit about a wide body being more difficult to sort out than a narrow body.
WTF??
Land the glareshield safely and the bit behind usually follows along nicely, regardless of its width.:\

JW411
2nd Aug 2004, 20:02
Joyce Tick:

Having just got back from my latest outing, I wanted to respond to your attack on Cargo Boy on the "Demotion" thread.

Sadly, I note that your deprecating posting has been removed - I presume by you?

With a handle like "Joyce Tick" and, having looked at your completely NON-PROFILE, I can only assume that you are a "non-professional pilot" and that you `are more likely to be an 84 year-old retired ramp tramp based in Frobisher just looking for a bit of reaction.

Certainly you have no idea what good fun and reward the freight business is. I gave up passengers 20 years ago (have you ever succeeded in getting 380 passengers on board on time?).

I fly when it is quiet and usually get direct routings from Maastricht, such as "Direct Helsinki", I get 14 days off a month and my salary is in the "3-figures bracket" with a final salary scheme. My flying hours for the year are around 350 - 400 hours. I do not miss the the 500 hours extra that YOU are doing while I am relaxing on the beach!

Incidentally, our lady pilots love the lifestyle too.

Cap 56
2nd Aug 2004, 20:18
HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD

It’s called inertia and needs a lot more anticipation, definitely when you are out of the standard profile when things really go very fast.

It should not happen but every chap with some hours knows that it does, sometimes you don’t have a choice. Best practice on a narrow body until you know from miles ahead what is going to happen next and how you will solve it.

Cheers.

unablereqnavperf
2nd Aug 2004, 20:32
studi ,

The Swiss air crash was due to SOP fixation, the right answer was to get the crate back on the ground asap and not float around doing check lists until the aircraft becomes un flyable!

I appreciate that i have the benefit of hind sight but in a similar situation i would have landed asap even if it ment an overweight landing!

I always brief my F/o's that in the event of fire we will land asap regardless of a/c weight!

JW411
2nd Aug 2004, 20:43
Loopy:

I see that you are a "West African mechanic". Do not decry young pilots for, if they are trained properly and have good resources, they will turn out well.

I think you would do well to go to the "Now There Was an Aviator" forum and read my bit on there. Have you ever had to sit there for 13 hours and 30 minutes knowing that any other slight problem could put you outside of where you are at the moment for NONE of the SOPs etc have worked and flying the aeroplane is pretty damned near impossible?

That is a long time to have to have a problem!

We recently had a problem where a new captain and a young F/O started off with an engine failure - followed by an electrical failure right down to the battery (at night).

They exhausted the QRH etc and got nowhere. Unknown to them there was a DOUBLE fault in the logic of the electrical system.

Although they were young and relatively inexperienced
and having exhausted all of the checklists, they went back to basics and managed to restore AC power before landing successfully.

Captain Airclues
2nd Aug 2004, 20:44
Kaptin M

BA have been putting 250 hour cadets into the RHS for over 40 years. Most of the cadets who joined in the 60's have now finished their careers, having spent 33 to 35 years in the airline. Perhaps it's not such a bad idea after all.

Airclues

ihlen
2nd Aug 2004, 20:47
I am new to this forum. This is my first post so please forgive me if I sound naive.

WHAT pilot shortage??????? What companies are hirring CPL's with 300 - 400 hrs total?????.
I have a JAA CPL, ATPL(frozen), live in europe, TT 2000, 1150 on twin turboprop, E110 and after some 30 - 40 applications in all parts of the world and a registration at all recruiting agencys open for business, stil unable to land any more than a kind reply of NO's.

It seems you need a rating on 737 or A320 to land a job and then it dosn't matter what your hrs. count is.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

JW411
2nd Aug 2004, 20:51
You are in the wrong country!

SR20flyDoc
2nd Aug 2004, 20:58
Studi ; Of course this full time intensive training leaves them with a Multi Engine IR for Multipilot aircraft, absolutly not allowed to fly planes all by themselves like the demanding Single Engine Instrument planes (there is a separate JAA SEL/IR license needed for that stuff

Well studi , I don't think there is much difference between an integrated ATPL (except they lack single engine / single pilot / first captain experience) and the people who learn it the hard way (modular) and step by step, in the end. So what is your point / why would full time intensive trainining be better ?? :confused:

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Aug 2004, 21:01
In the late 70's and early 80's I took 17 Hamble trained pilots from BA because they could not use them at that time. All had no more than 253hrs TT. I was not using jet engined aircraft but had BA had the 'room' for them they would have occupied the RHS. With me they became instant Captains. Deservedly so - since all the Hamble trained pilots I ever knew were the cream. I think ALL of those pilots are still employed with BA. Two are training Captains with Virgin.

As an airline owner/operator I consider that if someone has 250hrs and a (F)ATPL they are good enough to get RHS.

Monarch were doing it for years too, might still be doing it, from the guys who came out of Oxford. In fact there are hundreds of examples!

SR71
2nd Aug 2004, 22:50
I flew my visual circuits (the min 6 req, first time out) in the 73 for the issue of my TR with 166.55hrs TT...so the logbook says (sim hrs not included in the total).

Any offers for less?

Bomber Harris
3rd Aug 2004, 00:28
Hey pop.....love your style....let them have it.... a bit of faith in the new boys and girls goes a long way.

And pop....i think some of the guys and gals here have short memories. What does every airline pilot who contributed to this thread have in common..................they all had 250hrs once:D :D (but i guess they were all special pilots :ok: )

MercenaryAli
4th Aug 2004, 02:27
Yes! Perhaps it is time to reflect that with the vast majority of present day pilots "Self selecting" so to speak. . . . there is the Captain and the P1 but they are not always one and the same!!
Take the BMI incident recently as an example of "Lack of command and control" - they switched off the radar! nuff said!!

Slimpickens
4th Aug 2004, 03:18
I think the theme of this thread is 'market forces'.

Presently, in different parts of the world, there are market forces acting that are producing a wide range of experience requirements for airline positions. This changes with time - in the good times, the talent pool dries up and companies are forced to accept lower experience (although still above state/insurance minimums). The oposite is the case in the bad times. Experience and qualifications are two criteria most companies use for any job, all other things being equal (attitude/aptitude etc).

Perhaps the dig of Kapt M's post could be the total experience of the flightdeck crew combined (2500+400=2900hrs TT, less than would get you a job as an S/o in Godzone). Hopefully such an airline would not allow such a pairing to be rostered, as is common policy in many companies. Most posters to this thread seem to be hung up on the low F/o hours required for a jet job, but I agree with a previous poster who expressed more concern over command experience levels. With a bit of training and practice, jets of any size can be mastered in a relatively short time. Narrow body or wide body - it is all about time and energy managment. Certainly, the hardest and most dangerous flying out there would be the single pilot/(underpowered) multi-IFR charter stuff - in the middle of winter with no radar or de-icing!. Character building, although generally quite low risk for the population on the whole (just one fatality at a time if you are by yourself, flying freight etc!).

With the ink wet on my CPL, I was told I had a license to learn. I crawled before I walked and walked before I ran. From glider towing to instructing to charter to freight to jets, it was a slow 200 hour-to-3000 hour transition. Sure, I would have liked to get onto jets sooner ($$$), but in hindsight I am grateful of the experience. Having now been a jet f/o for 8 years (with another 8 years to go to a command!) I feel my bredth of experience everytime I put a 767 down in a crosswind on a narrow wet runway at night.

Certainly, some pilots will gain experience quicker than others. The airforce system typifies this, with very young guys and girls launching off in supersonic fighter-bombers with comparitively thin logbooks. The cost of this intensity of training is massive and the civilian system is incapable of preparing pilots in the same way - be they self-funded or cadet. The all-mighty dollar and an airline's imperative to make a buck will mean that any training carried out is to the minimum standard only (which admitably does vary between airlines). The experience a pilot gains is then 'on the job' and less in the training school, and in a mature airline the number of 'events' in which to gain this experience are very rare and spaced wide apart. (The newer airlines seem to have more regular 'events', so perhaps their lower time pilots actually learn quicker through an acelerated course of 'hard knocks'.)
Being suitable for a command is about more than handling ability and tech knowledge. Dealing with people and events in times of high stress is something that takes a great deal of time (hours and calendar) to develop. The consequences for either a captain or co-pilot getting it wrong is obviously more in a 737/A320 than a Chieftain. Insurance companies recognise this by stipulating minimums, exclusions or imposing high premiums - they are professional assessors of risk. Hence the traditional route to gaining experience...walking before you run.

Regardless of what different people think of what constitutes 'enough' experience to ocupy a seat, the market forces of supply and demand are now what is driving down the required experience levels for some airlines. As long as the training system is up to scratch, the engineering support suffcient and CRM and a sound safety culture established, 99.99% of operators forced to lower their requirements should have no major accidents, and the low time F/os and Captains should be around long enough to contribute to forums like this.

From what I have seen and read, advocates of low-time jet jobs seem to be young ambitious types - no qaums there, having been young and ambitious once! However, all going well, an airline career will last 30 years or more, and after the honeymoon is over you start to crave two things - money and time off. The race to get a command MAY let you achieve those desires quicker, but often at the expence of lifestlye, and you can't wind the clock back to enjoy your younger years all over again. Sacrificing a lifestyle in the race to get a jet job or command seems to lead to many grumpy pilots living average lives in average jobs miles from home.

But, heh...let the good times roll

:ok:

wallabie
4th Aug 2004, 13:08
I couldn't agree more !! I get to fly with cadets on a regular basis and although they perform well when things don't go wrong I am a lot less impressed when the pressure builds. Working for a non english speaking airline I 8 times out of ten I have to do a bit of translating so the guy in the right hand seat can answer or acknowledge and this requires constant attention.
I've seen blokes playing cool dudes cuz " I am a Bus pilot " turning to me in awe when things start boiling and that irritates me big time.
I've never had such trouble with more seasoned pilots either Air Force, Navy or Regional with whom maturity also comes as a bonus.
Sorry young and ambitious chaps, but our trade is something you " acquire " along the years. The tooh fairy has nothing to do with your ability, times has.
The lack of experience may not lead to fatal mishaps..........although I doubt it but at least with very nasty stuffs which will keep the airlines legal department very busy ( Easy Jet with no radar etc ........ could be anyone for the matter )