PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall and reinstall OE

windy1
31st Jul 2004, 22:19
I have some incurable problems with OE and would like to flush the damn thing out and start again.

I assume it is part of IE and integrated with the Windows OS (ref recent court case).

I am running XP Pro - any suggestions how to go about this chore?

E-Liam
31st Jul 2004, 22:46
Hi Windy,

Click on Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, then scroll down the list and highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and Internet Tools by clicking once. A button will illuminate under the list saying Add/Remove program. Click on that and then click on the option to Repair, and click OK.

If that doesn't work, then go to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information | Tools (On menu bar) | Internet Explorer Repair Tool and do it from there. See how you get on with that.

Cheers

Liam

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Aug 2004, 02:20
windy1,

It might be worth running Hijack This! (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/), the program that Liam recommends. It is a very good diagnostic tool which I have really come to appreciate. (Thanx again for that one Liam.) :ok:

If you do a search of this forum you will find Liam's instructions on how to run it (without fixing anything) and then posting a log of what it finds.

Take Care,

Richard

windy1
1st Aug 2004, 10:52
E-Liam

Tried that but the programs do not appear as I expected. The programs are listed as

Internet Explorer Q831167
Outlook Express Q 823353

Interestingly there are no file sizes shown in the rh column.

When I click on these , the only option I get is to "uninstall Q xxxx."

The MS Support site suggests these Q thingies are updates, so where is the complete program so I can uninstall it?

hence the post.............

E-Liam

I should have said that your second suggestion does not appear in my XP Pro

Under the tools tab I get Net Diag,System Restore, File Signature verification, Direct x diagnostics, Dr Watson.

No explorer repair option there

nwaflygirl
3rd Aug 2004, 05:45
If you truly want to completely erase your OS and start over, there is software called Wipe Drive. It costs about 50.00US. I have used this a couple of times and it completely erases everything. Ensure that you have your OS disc to reinstall.

After you clean your hard drive, re-install OS, there should be some kind of disc that came with your computer for your drivers and utilities. Re-install your internet software. Download and install all updates. Then re-install all your other programs.

It's not as bad as it sounds. However if you do choose this option be sure, it erases EVERYTHING!! Best of luck!!!

windy1
3rd Aug 2004, 14:03
E-Liam

I took Richard's hint and ran Hijack this. Here is the log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.1
Scan saved at 14:44:27, on 03/08/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\SAMSUNG\SENS Keyboard V4 Launcher\SENSKBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Vodafone\Vodafone Connect Me\autoupdate_srv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVE\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ntlworld.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SENS Keyboard V4 Launcher] "C:\Program Files\SAMSUNG\SENS Keyboard V4 Launcher\SENSKBD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C42 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C42 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus C42"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: e-Backup 1.42 Scheduler.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Vodafone Connect Me Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vodafone\Vodafone Connect Me\autoupdate_srv.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\bmi_lsp.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: [url]http://mail.intellectuk.org

Everything on this Samsung laptop runs fine, except OE will not receive emails from any ISP. However, it does send emails OK.

Can you see if anything here points to the problem ?

Many thanks

E-Liam
3rd Aug 2004, 17:39
Hi Windy,

Your log is clean as far as spy/mal/adware is concerned, and there isn't any viruses etc. showing up, so that's one set of problems eliminated at a go.

I'm interested though, in the 010 entries. They are legitimate entries and relate to Bytemobile (http://www.bytemobile.com/html/Client_products.html). Part of this program can optimize e-mail settings, but as with all programs, if incorrectly set up, or somehow changed, it will also bugger it up as well.. :)

My first suggestion would be to check all the settings for that application, to make sure it's all as it should be.

Next, it's time to check your account settings. Open up OLE and click the Tools button on the Menu bar, scroll down and click on Accounts | Mail (tab)| Properties and check the following...

Servers Tab

Incoming mail server = POP3
Incoming mail (POP3) = pop.[your ISP]
Outgoing mail (SMTP) = smtp.[your ISP]

..and that your user name and password are correct.

Advanced Tab

Outgoing Port (SMTP) = 25
Incoming Port (POP) = 110

See how you get on with that. As far as the repair of IE (including OLE) goes, it's common for it not to appear in Add/Remove Programs but as I don't use XP Pro, perhaps someone else could check to see if it's an option somewhere else.. :confused: :)

It does look to me as though either Bytemobile has changed your settings, or that you have a security setting that is blocking all incoming mail.. perhaps the e-mail checker in your Norton.

See how you get on with those.. if not we'll try a reinstall of OLE.

Cheers

Liam

windy1
5th Aug 2004, 21:17
E-Liam

Thanks very much for checking that log. I have checked and rechecked my ISP settings- no joy there. Also disabled the NIS firewall and virus checker and that made no difference.

I seem to have no option but to try the deinstall/reinstall routine.

How do I set about this with XP Pro, given I can't see any add/remove/troubleshoot/fix programs option on either IE6 or OE 6. Is this the same as an XP restore type operation which I have never done?

Capt. J
6th Aug 2004, 06:18
If you really hate OE. Try Mozilla Thunderbird, it's just like OE except many people are happy with and it works much better ie. no spam, etc. I have no problems with OE but often here a lot of people talking about Mozilla Thunderbird, haven't experienced myself yet.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 14:43
Capt. J,

Personally I never cared for OL or OLE. I used to use Netscape Communicator 4.79 for Email, I have recently switched to Mozilla 1.7 for my Email, and I do like it.

Take Care,

Richard