PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Flying Objects over Melbourne ?

NOSIGN
31st Jul 2004, 16:13
What I and four others saw this (sober:( ) evening... :uhoh:

time: approx 2350 local July 31st 2004
duration: approx 7 mins
alt: guess 10-20km
cloud: cirrostratus + some alto obscuring stars
event:

We noticed two intense, large, flame coloured lights estimated at 15-30km East of Essendon. The lights were well separated and seemed to hover for about 4mins.

The light that appeared higher or further East then appeared to move towards North or descend, whilst the other reacted in the opposite sense. Movement was not symmetrical and large separation was maintained.

The light that appeared to be higher dissapeared as it accelerated to what seemed an Easterly direction, whilst the second dissapeared soon after in an apparent South Easterly direction.

ATC did not record anything unusual.

Did anyone else witness these lights? I havent seen anything like them before. Their position and apparent motion suggests that they were not aircraft (in the normal sense), they seemed to be too high and move not like balloons.

yeah yeah i know where these stories usually end up but I did see them and they were unusual enough for me to write a post about them :ooh:

compressor stall
31st Jul 2004, 17:15
Any chance they could have been recog lights of two separate aircraft heading straight for you in the distance (thus they have no apparent movement)?

I got 'stalked' by a flame cherry red object at the wrong side of the clock over the Gibson desert about a month ago. Ended up being Venus, low to the horizon and rising, just the atmosphere doing bizarre things to it - colours, and size..as tracked me, it would retreat, get closer, retreat, change hue from red to yellow back to red ....

The old eyeballs can't tell the difference between something close and far when it's a point of light!

As you could in no way accurately tell the distance of the object, the only clue comes in was it above or behind the altocirrus?

There are many ways of making lights in the sky do straaange things...I won't post the better UFO hoaxing methods here (never know who's watching :E ) but it aint too hard to make something that makes the papers.

karrank
1st Aug 2004, 00:17
Venus, refracted through swamp gas from Cleanaway tip and a weather balloon. Say anything different again and I'll be around with my neuralyser.

Cactus Jack
1st Aug 2004, 00:53
Think you need to lay off the drugs, son. Get a job and a haircut while you are at it. :} :}

pullock
1st Aug 2004, 01:35
Nosign you were bound to get bagged for posting about a UFO sighting - so I am glad you had the b alls to do it.

We would be pretty arrogant to think that we are the only form of inteligent life around the place who could have developed the ability to travel.

The theory that there are no UFO's is unlikely to be correct, so you never know maybe what you saw was in fact something really cool!!

dingo084
1st Aug 2004, 01:46
It wasn't Valentich's (sp) mates by any chance was it?:D

or

The famous 'flies' on the ATC 'overlay' of many moons ago:confused:

ding

Tunguska
1st Aug 2004, 04:27
I remember some time ago a very, very interesting photo was taken off the southern coast of Victoria just hours before Frederic Valentich went missing.

The photo was enhanced and deemed to be genuine and not a photographic emulsion or camera anomaly.
Whatever it was had mass and movement.

Guess some techo type could find reference to it on the net.

KLN94
1st Aug 2004, 07:18
http://ufos.about.com/library/weekly/aa033098.htm

HEALY
1st Aug 2004, 08:35
Autokinesis possibly? Only a thought, makes for good reading though.

NOSIGN
1st Aug 2004, 13:19
Compressor Stall and Healy,

Two acft approaching towards me> possibly er I guess, but then they both accelerated in different directions.

Autokinesis> possibly during the time they spent "hovering" but definately not when they split directions! All of us saw the same thing.

Cloud> There was a brilliant veil around the moon which was almost overhead. The lights much lower on the horizon (about 30degrees from horizon) were behind some close low cloud. The lights appeared to span a 3mm circle at arms length.

WISH I HAD ME CAMERA!

Oh well, no answers :suspect:, looks like we've all been :cool: "neuralysed" :ouch: by ATC!

Binoculars
1st Aug 2004, 14:47
Nosign,

You must realise that not all who seem enemies are not friends. Psst psst, nudge nudge. Though we know a lot, our position prevents us from telling the truth until we are dead.

Last night the sky round my tower went from Cavok to BKN008 in ten minutes; the full moon illuminated things I can't even begin to talk about, or I will be forcefu

Buster Hyman
1st Aug 2004, 22:51
If Winstun starts posting again, then you'll know it was his Mothership!:}

Didn't see the lights NOSIGN, but I did watch the moon rise. Pretty spectacular as it's coming up over the horizon, looks a lot bigger too.:cool:

amos2
2nd Aug 2004, 05:45
Well I think the answer is obvious...

they were space ships from another planet with another life form on board!

Can't you turkeys see that? :sad: :8

Lodown
2nd Aug 2004, 13:26
There's been some intense Iridium flares lately from the low earth orbit satellites. Blot out anything else in the sky except the moon with intense, steady bright, reflected sunlight and then disappear as the panels reflect the light away from the viewer.

Iridium (http://www.iridium.com/)

Great to watch! Some flares have been very short and intense with others going on for a considerable period of time over half the sky.

Fred Gassit
2nd Aug 2004, 23:50
If the ceiling was low it could of been car headlights, reflecting or even behind the haze(in high country), Ive been fooled by this myself until the repetitive nature of the lights gave away the source

currawong
3rd Aug 2004, 11:38
Remote areas, intense bright lights, "impossible manoeuvres", unexplained power outages = cotton season....

Green figures with big heads scarpering towards craft that takes off vertically and disappears into the night sky = mil chopper crew that stopped for a leak during night navex, sprung by passing motorist....

:p

NOSIGN
24th Aug 2004, 09:32
I hate to start this all over but :E... tonights chanel 7 news at 6pm showed video footage of 6 unexplained flying objects over the northern suburbs of melbourne. The six lights were grouped into three, forming two triangle shaped flights.

Even though I witnessed only two lights, they looked identical to the lights in the video footage.

hmmm :oh: :ooh: :uhoh: :confused:

ys120fz
24th Aug 2004, 09:57
Probably Peter Abeles. The silver bodgie is still with us, so it couldn't have been him. Maybe Robert Maxwell.
I can't think of another 4 though.

dingo084
24th Aug 2004, 10:20
Or Lord Lucan

Or maybe somebody spat their 'soothers'

Or perhaps the famous ATC "Not yet Identified, remain outside controlled airspace'

Or the new coach for Hawthorn.

ding:zzz:

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2004, 12:31
Have OA started flying here again? With their tail logo in mind, we used to call them Aristotle Onassis & 5 other arseholes!

Romeo Tango Alpha
24th Aug 2004, 13:37
It COULD have been a JetStar flight. I hear they are unusual occurences still - a Jetstar aircraft actually FLYING :ok:

All seriousness, I see "lights" a fair bit recently, but, MOST are in the general direction of airports, or on approaches to. Like flying out of YBMC, I can usually see several orange red lights low down on the horizon of high intensity, apparently motionless, then moving rapidly - yes, they are aircraft on approach to 01 at YBBN, and the landing light is skipping through the smog and dust, and refracting through heat haze and other atmospherics.

Having said that, I am also a keen amateur astronomer, and spend MANY a cold night out with my telescope. In all 30 odd years of peering up, I can say I have seen 1 "sight" I could NOT explain - an object I initially accredited to a satellite, suddenly turned a full 180 degrees, tracked parallel to it's original course for a minute, then performed a RAPID 270 degree turn, and meandered off a while on that course, before coming back AGAIN, and proceeding along it's original course! The object was DEFINITELY at EXTREME altitude (if in the atmosphere at all!), and no noise whatsoever was encountered. It wasn't a very bright light at all, but my night vision was acute from the time I had been exposed.

Alien? Perhaps, who knows! I prefer to think it is one of the USA's little projects.

lambsie
25th Aug 2004, 08:31
You don't honestly think that if the little green men have the whiz bang technology to actually get here, that they'd do it with all lights blazing??? :hmm:

bush mechanics
25th Aug 2004, 12:20
Righto Boys,
Go down to your local Coles and buy the large garbage bags for your wheely bin.Then buy a packet of Fire lighters,They come in a pack of ten cubes.
Then thread lockwire around the opening in the base,Leave a opening of aprox45cms.Then thread 1 fire lighter on to a seperate piece of wire and tie this piece across the opening of your bag(balloon)
Now when you have made at least 5 balloons get your mates all to hold one each from the top corners of the bag,whilst you run around lighting all the the fire lighters.Wait untill the bag is fully inflated and yibada yibada youl be in the news paper either for burning your neighbours tree down or UFOs seen in the Sky.
Not that Im talking from Experience!!!Any X skyport boys and girls will remember UFO nights

dudduddud
26th Aug 2004, 01:30
This is what our first alien encounter will probably sound like

"Tauranga Tower, Uniform Foxtrot Oscar is overhead katikati at 330 000ft in reciept of infomation Alpha 1014, request entry into the zone for landing, pob2."

or

"Tauranga Tower, Uniform Foxtrot Oscar is overhead katikati at 330 000ft in reciept of infomation Alpha 1014, take me to your leader, pob2."

Blacksheepmuse
29th Nov 2004, 12:10
Dear All,

We are a non-profit group who are seeking to end the secrecy and ridicule surrounding the UFO/ETI subject. Currently, we are looking for well-qualified volunteer witnesses from the UK or Europe, and globally, who have had UFO encounters or experiences. For those who might be worried about speaking of their experience, we can assure you that there are many who feel the same way as you, but also other prominent people such as Edgar Mitchell and Gordon Cooper (yes, the astronauts) who have repeatedly given their own testimony in the USA (see www.ukffd.org for details). There are also over 500 witnesses from the military, NASA, FAA and government who have given their accounts and sworn testimony to the Disclosure Project in the USA, and there are police officers in the UK who have also gone on record. We would like to obtain testimony from the UK and the rest of the world that we can publish. Witnesses can contact us through our Website: www.ukffd.org. They can also find out all the details about our movement. Please help us if you are able. We feel this matter is of profound importance and have therefore taken the radical step of posting a message to this forum. Please e-mail Dean Rose ([email protected]) or Andrew Johnson ([email protected]). You can also visit this link to see our collaboration to unify uflogical efforts in the UK.

http://www.alienexistence.com/viewtopic.php?p=1498#1498

Thanks very much for reading.

Capn Bloggs
29th Nov 2004, 14:32
Dud,

in reciept of infomation Alpha 1014

It's "Received Alpha 1014", you feral alien!:p

Speeds high
29th Nov 2004, 20:02
Have they paid the local Maori iwi for use of the sky?

barleyhi
1st Dec 2004, 04:04
From http://www.heavens-above.com

If you're interested in satellites or astronomy, you've come to the right place! Our aim is to provide you with all the information you need to observe satellites such as the International Space Station and the Space Shuttle, spectacular events such as the dazzlingly bright flares from Iridium satellites as well as a wealth of other spaceflight and astronomical information.

We not only provide the times of visibility, but also detailed star charts showing the satellite's track through the heavens. All our pages, including the graphics, are generated in real-time and customized for your location and time zone. Frequent visitors will notice we have changed the appearance of the site somewhat and added the option of user registration. This has been done to open the door to a host of new, customisable features which will be appearing over the coming months.

Iridium Flares | Home | Prev. | Next | Help |

Clicking on the time of the flare will load another page with more details,
including a map showing the track of the flare along the ground, and the
location of the nearest point of maximum intensity.

Search Period Start: 15:57, Wednesday, 01 December, 2004
Search Period End: 16:57, Wednesday, 08 December, 2004
Observer's Location: Essendon ( 37.7670°S, 144.9170°E)
Local Time: Australian Eastern Daylight Time (GMT + 11:00)

Date Local
Time Intensity
( Mag) Alt. Azimuth Distance to
flare centre Intensity at
flare centre
(Mag.) Satellite
01 Dec 20:53:05 -8 68° 96° (E ) 1.1 km (W) -8 Iridium 25
01 Dec 22:36:03 -0 34° 116° (ESE) 55.0 km (E) -8 Iridium 91
02 Dec 02:38:11 -5 11° 231° (SW ) 25.5 km (E) -6 Iridium 4
02 Dec 20:47:02 -0 67° 94° (E ) 32.5 km (E) -8 Iridium 47
03 Dec 22:25:34 -5 39° 117° (ESE) 10.9 km (W) -8 Iridium 60
03 Dec 22:32:06 -1 41° 115° (ESE) 33.4 km (W) -8 Iridium 95
04 Dec 03:46:42 -3 41° 264° (W ) 22.6 km (W) -8 Iridium 56
04 Dec 22:19:32 -1 39° 116° (ESE) 34.2 km (E) -8 Iridium 29
05 Dec 03:40:35 -4 42° 263° (W ) 16.7 km (E) -8 Iridium 84
06 Dec 03:34:29 -0 42° 261° (W ) 56.4 km (E) -8 Iridium 12
06 Dec 22:17:09 -2 43° 112° (ESE) 29.2 km (E) -8 Iridium 90
07 Dec 05:14:17 -8 67° 294° (WNW) 1.1 km (E) -8 Iridium 43
07 Dec 22:10:41 -1 47° 114° (ESE) 36.4 km (W) -8 Iridium 28
08 Dec 03:31:19 -1 35° 258° (WSW) 48.8 km (W) -8 Iridium 53
08 Dec 05:08:13 -1 68° 293° (WNW) 27.3 km (E) -8 Iridium 40
08 Dec 05:08:26 -3 67° 291° (WNW) 12.5 km (E) -8 Iridium 38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developed and maintained by Chris Peat, Heavens-Above GmbH
Please read the updated FAQ before sending e-mail.

notmyC150v2
1st Dec 2004, 04:39
Pullock - There has to be intelligent life out in space cause there is buggerall down here on earth.

with apologies to Monty Python for the incorrect repetition of their very funny line.