PDA

View Full Version : Is 40 too old to start flight training? :))

Byrna
31st Jul 2004, 13:08
Hi,
I am wondering if I'm crazy to think about doing flight training to go all the way in becoming a commercial airline pilot at this stage in my life and need the input of airline pilots, airlines human resources agents are even better.

I'm 40. I definitely have a good hand-eye coordination and a judgement of distance. I've also been flying flight sims for the PC using 737 and 747's for the most part and really love the work -both the physical flying part and the instrument/technical part (though instrument flying can get hairy)...

Assuming I can even find the money to study, will commercial airlines hire someone my age - in fact more like someone who will be probably about 45 by the time he finishes all required training and accumulate the required hours?

John
Montreal, Canada

aged
1st Aug 2004, 07:01
Too old? No, if your aspirations aren't too high. Also, you must remember it's like many other professions in that you can go and spend the money, get the bits of paper but still be a complete plonker who wouldn't pass an interview for stacking shelves in Tescos never mind a flying job. Plenty folk winge about never getting work, but I imagine some of them wouldn't get any kind of work.

Also, do a search in this Forum, there are plenty previous threads on this that will give all views possible, from the very negative to the positive. Then take all the views and make your own mind up.

Cheers
aged

parris50
1st Aug 2004, 08:12
It's definitely possible to get through all the training. I started mine at 40 and completed everything aged 42. Now for the tricky bit; finding a job.

I agree that it's best not to set your heart on walking stright into a top jet job. I've spent the last year looking for jobs and have asked whether age would be a problem. In quite a few cases, (I spoke to one of the HR people at an easyJet recruitment roadshow) age in itself is not a barrier. Having said that, I am still looking!

Why not consider PPL instructing. The money's not that good but it seems that there are more openings people our age, and at least it will keep you flying.

Whatever happens, you will enjoy the training and spend loads!

Mach 0.69
2nd Aug 2004, 17:27
You only need 3 things to become an airline pilot......

1. Money

2. Determination

3. MORE MONEY !

If you can fund your own type rating together with some line training then you may stand a better chance.....

A good friend of mine has just spent 83,600 english pounds !!
But he did get a job !!

Good luck

carbonfibre
2nd Aug 2004, 22:58
Well!!!

I started my commercial stuff in 2001, pretty bad time when you look at it at the age of 34, now im 37 shiney new IR but like most people looking for a job.

I am currently doing a few flights for fun, almost forgotten how to fly visually, its fun!!!

However i beleive if its something you want to do, have the finances and your families support, assueming you are marrried, then go for it, you never know, gotta be in it to win it, If you dont you'll only ever wonder

WHAT IF

Good luck:ok:

Byrna
7th Aug 2004, 14:04
Thank-you everyone for your generous and kind replies.
Money is something I definitely don't have much of but I do have a fairly well paying job and may attempt to pay as I go with my lessons (this is possible with the closest flying club I contacted, the Montreal Flying Club here in Canada).

I need to fight my pessimism though, regarding having any faith in actually finding work or even being motivated to look for a job as employers in general, in any business, seem always to find someone else besides me who is more qualified for their jobs.

But, I do have the enthusiasm and the talent (I believe) to be a good pilot so hopefully, if I can pull off my training, I will show that talent and motivation during my job interview (if I even get a job interview, that is).

Again, thanks all again.
If anyone has any more words of encouragement for me, I'd love to hear them.

John

beamer
8th Aug 2004, 12:03
Never confuse Flight Sim programmes with reality - you may as well believe you can be a Grand Prix driver by playing some PC games. Go and get some time on a real aircraft and then think again - oh yes, previous comments about money - damned right. you can spend tens of thousands of pounds, dollars, euros and still not find a job because at the end of the day you have no experience BUT and its a big BUT, if you have the cash and the determination you MIGHT just get there. Good luck !!!